• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many of you have gone from AMD to Intel because....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I've been thinking for a few days about this, mostly because of some comments on the frontpage. Ed keeps talking about how much better the A64 platforms are, and how much faster, and how Intel's offering just doesn't cut it. From what I've heard and experienced, I have to disagree. I've seen a lot of people (PMSFishy and Sentential come immediately to mind, both experienced overclockers/perfomance nuts) who have switched from their faster A64 systems just to get rid of the headache they cause. If you think about it this way, AMD's offering (or rather, the chipset support) is in far worse shape than Intel's.

What I'm really wondering is...how many of you have gone from AthlonXP or A64 to Intel purely for stability reasons or better chipsets? As in..."yes, my AMD system benched faster, but stability/overclocking was a complete pain the butt."

I'm going from an AXP to a P4 in about a week now (waiting on that Intel price cut) and I'm really looking forward to it. I've hated this DFI/nForce2 combo for the little over a year I've suffered through it, and I've heard worse about the nForce3/4. Anyone?

yeah man, if you're having problems getting nforce2 stable you do not wanna try out dfi's nf3/4 boards :p

i've had two dfi nf3 crap out on my so i got sick of it and am giving intel a go

Yeah...at this point, I hate DFI as a company, based on the principle behind some design I've observed on my NFII Ultra Infinity. Unfortunately, they're pretty much the best way to go for S939 or S754...which says something about those platforms as a whole.

So crimedog is one...any more?

going from AthlonXP to Pentium M :)

clock for clock just as fast as an A64 (if not a lil faster) and the average overclock on good air is 2.5 - 2.7ghz with the 730 (1.6ghz) try getting a 1000mhz oc on an A64 without going sun zero.

As you can see from my sig, I have one of each. I did that on purpose so I could compare Intel to AMD directly. Each has its own "personality." I think the Intel rig is more straightforward and easier to manage. The AMD rig is more challenging but can be fine-tuned to higher degree. Both are o/ced 25%, although I had to go to water on the P4 to get it stable at 250 FSB. The AMD rig benches a little better (CPU & memory), but in everyday applications there is no noticeable difference. My son and I game against each other a lot on these two rigs, and other than the different video capabilites (6800U vs. 6600GT) and maps loading quicker off the Raptor RAID, the rigs are very evenly matched. I do have to admit, however, that I have not spent a lot of time tweaking the AMD rig because of the complexities, so there may still be more performance to be coaxed out of it. I also have to admit that if I had to give up one rig, it would be the Intel, the main reason being that the o/ced Prescott really puts a load on the power MOSFETS and they run very hot. I've already fried one IC7G because of it. Of course I would swap out the water set-up, the 6800U and the Raptor RAID before giving it up!:p

AXP to Dothan also.

I really need something thats going to perform under the Dice and eventually LN2 and the 90nm AMD cpus aren't much for extreme cold.

I'm not sure why you hate your Infinity, I love mine I just hate the part AMD plays in my system this CPU couldn't clock high if it had to. I like the fact that Intels low end CPUs usually clock very very well, so I think i'll be happy.

the main reason being that the o/ced Prescott really puts a load on the power MOSFETS and they run very hot. I've already fried one IC7G because of it. Of course I would swap out the water set-up, the 6800U and the Raptor RAID before giving it up!
That's on a socket 478, right? The LGA775 prescotts do run a little cooler, and I think they pull a little less power too.

Thanks for those two opinions, folks.

I moved from athlon64 to intel P4. My Newcastle was at 2400mhz (10x240) on the DFI NF3-250GB.

I like my P4 better. I do more video encoding/decoding and what not, and with HT, I can still use my PC and it is still very acceptable performance. I tried to do that with the A64 and it was not acceptable.

heat wise, the Prescott does run hotter but not by much. I used a zalman 7000 on the A64 and it got close to 50c on load. This Prescott does around the same thing.

Overall, i'm not regretting my move to P4, nor did I regret my A64 experience. I don't game much and I don't really notice any difference in between the 2 platforms so I went with which platform provided what I needed.

Like L33M, I'm running both platforms, although the intel is not listed in the sig for space reasons. I've found both platforms to be exceptionally stable and have been running both NForce2 and Nforce4 chipset-based AMD machines as 24/7 file servers with no problems.

In addition, I have over 70 NForce2 and Nforce4-based AMD systems out in the field in various client offices, serving the medical, architectural and legal communities as well as our local government. None of these machines (knock on wood) have given me a bit of trouble and they are all moderately overclocked.

I think that regardless of chosen platform it's possible to get a "lemon." When this happens it's very frustrating; I feel your pain, johan851. FWIW, I've not tried DFI Motherboards, prefering Epox, MSI and Gigabyte, in that order.

I can't remember how many times I've switched from P4 to A64, then back to P4.
I've never had stability or chipset issues with both systems. I like how snappy A64 responds, but then I also like how smoothly P4 runs.

Whenever I feel like I'm missing either snappiness or smoothness I swtich out my system. I just take the mobo out, pull out video and sounds cards, and then put them into another mobo. Since there are 2 installations of WinXP, switching mobo is all I need to do.

Funny, I went from AMD to Intel for the very opposite. Less stability, more performance. It's delivered on both counts. My socket 754 AMD systems were solid as a rock and overclocked excellently. These two Pentium M's have been nothing but a pain in the ***, but at least they score well...true, I've got anything but a conventional setup.

Everyone told me I'd marvel at the stability of the i875 chipset. Ok fine, the chipset's decent. My BH5 hits 260 just like it did in the A64 with everything as aggressive as possible. Is it anything special? Really I've never owned an unstable system, AMD or Intel. Never had any stability issues with either nForce2 nor nForce3. In fact, if you ask me, they're both more solid than the Canterwood is.

I went to Intel for future proofing intially because I had Xeons, but only because they were cheaper than Opterons. But when I finally went to the P4, again because it was cheaper, I turned out that loved it, and it had the multitasking was amazing and almost as equal to the Xeons. I had used AMD, and although my XP-M was great this thing throttles anything I have ever had.

I havn't owned an A64 sytem cause ive always been strictly Intel. I have one AMD chip and thats my AMD XP 2200+ Thorton, did 2.3ghz stable and it was zippy for only being 50 bucks. But, Im loving my Intel experience but if I went A64, I probably wouldn't regret it ...Basically saying, love for both companies.

I have been with Intel for years. Recently switched to AMD and then back to Intel one week later because of stability. Everyone says how AMD's are so fast but my Intel feels faster to me so I don't really feel like I am giving up anything by going with Intel.

ive been back and forth. xp-p4-a64
i usually buy whats best in this ratio: cost/ocability
when i had my p4's intel was the cheaper option as the A64 was new on the market.
i take a break every so often and sell everything and then come back and build a new rig.this time the A64 was cheaper.

now that doesnt mean i dont have preferances.
i prefer intels smoothness with HT and yes i do notice it alot now running amd again.
ive considered going back to intel but for a few reasons didnt.
1. i dont want to buy ddr2 nor buy a new pci-e card
2.i definatly want a dual core cpu.and i see intels offering affordable but seems too just thrown together.
3.after seeing the X2 i know what i want.but wont buy until its affordable $300-400

as i said i useually stick with high performance/cost effectivness so im putting in a clawhammer this coming week and then awaiting for the X2

but in no way does that rule out intel.by then they may have the issues with the PD by then and it may look alot better than the amd offering due to lower cost.

plus i miss the intel guys not being such fanboys as the amd guys are.seems its mostly kids over there.and more str8 forward and mature here.

Gautam said:
Funny, I went from AMD to Intel for the very opposite. Less stability, more performance. It's delivered on both counts. My socket 754 AMD systems were solid as a rock and overclocked excellently. These two Pentium M's have been nothing but a pain in the ***, but at least they score well...true, I've got anything but a conventional setup.

Everyone told me I'd marvel at the stability of the i875 chipset. Ok fine, the chipset's decent. My BH5 hits 260 just like it did in the A64 with everything as aggressive as possible. Is it anything special? Really I've never owned an unstable system, AMD or Intel. Never had any stability issues with either nForce2 nor nForce3. In fact, if you ask me, they're both more solid than the Canterwood is.

You can't compare that rigged up set-up to anything. The PM/Adaptor/BIOS ect are all rigged up to make that work on a MB that it was never meant to run on.

865/875 are probally the best Intel chipsets out.

Back