• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Asus Vento Project...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xCRF450

Ok, so i decided that trying to hang a 1x120mm rad off the back, or somehow on the inside of my case would be too much trouble, and would clutter things even more.

So the case i am putting this WC system in is my ASUS VENTO 3600.

It has four 5.25 drives, so i moved my two drives down to the bottom two slos freeing room up in the top of my case...

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

So i decided to mouth the radiators and fans here, and drill through the top of this internal steel case ( out side is plastic)

so first i need help with what to use to cut out propper holes, and stuff to mount it, so far all i i know for a rad is something 2x120mm fans, and on the cheaper end...

so then heres the top that it will come through on

Picture004.jpg

So then here is the top of my case as it will be when all the panels are all on and together

Picture005.jpg

So i can take that whole top panel off and this is how the underside looks:

Picture006.jpg

and i can dremel that so that there is a good path for air straight out to the back you can see in the earlier picture where it can overhang, and dump...

So what you think, and any suggestions on rad/the drilling and stuff? thanks..

Adam aim:xcrf450

its gonna be a tough water cooling build if you plan on using an internal heatercore/radiator arrangement, that case just doesnt either have the room and with those panels will i feal make it ALOT harder.

and if you do put a heatercore/radiator on the top and try to have it dump out the back, your probably gonna have to have it angled somehow because with all those little sections to make the plastic top shell sturdy seems like they will catch a bit of air, and cause back pressure to build in something you want free flowing air to be in.

maybe if you can take pics of the lower half of the case we can get a better idea, b/c personally i havent seen this case that much.

:EDIT:
i just checked on some pictures from newegg and found somewhat a solution for an internal setup.heres what you can do, or what i would do if i had that case:
move the cd rom's to upper most slots, OR maybe swap them for a DVD-Cd-burner combo and move that single drive to the top slot.
get some cooling spacers or what i recommend the single bay hdd cooler from antec, and put the hdd in one of the 5.25 bays.
next take out those lower cages below the 5.25 cage and cut alittle more metal off the front to make room for my airflow.

now, mount a 120mm heatercore(recommended over radiator) to the inside front where the 3.5 dirves and space was before in the bottom front.
and now for the pump and resivoir/t-line.

you can add a t-line no problem, and i would actually recommend the t-line "cap" from danger den, and secure it to the top of the case, BUT underneath the plastic covering, hence hiding the fact that you are water cooling. BUT as to go back the resivoir and pump. you can get that new Swiftech kit which combines the swiftech 350 dc 12v pump and smallish resivoir that all fits in a 5.25 bay all itself.

run your tubing to cpu and or GPU and there you go!

this is the best setup i can think of without having to hack at plastic that can warp from heat or just basically get destroyed in the process.

Attachments

• asus.jpg
    asus.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,826
Last edited:
PERSONAL ATTACKS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. -eobard

Last edited by a moderator:
i would say its very....... original..... i have to admit, for alot of form for a computer case, it looks space age. and reminds me of Aliens, the movie, which to my surprise, im watching as i type. :)

I liek the original design of the case. Just because you may nto liek it, doesn't mean soemone else is a fool for liking it.

you can totally do that. Put a 2x120 in the top bays, pump under the drive cages, and CPU/GPU blocks on the appropriate places. you can dremmel out the top of your case to a pattern matching that of your mounting and fans and bolt both straight to the roof. there should be just enough room to mount it up there if you put your drives in the lower 2 bays. if there's enough room for the fans above the upper steel wall of the case do that, otherwise see if there's enough room for them both internally. just remember to have your radiator fans blowing into the case and all others exhausting from case to outside

Edit: dontcha just love my paint skillz? :cool:

Attachments

• asus.jpg
    asus.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,728
check out Voyeur mods for some good prices on 2x120 heatercores. or conversely you can get a 77 bonneville heatercore from an auto parts store which is a similar size but will require a little modding. either way you can mount to the case with some thin threaded rod that you can run through the core

yo S random, post some pics of your case, i bet it is really cool. Anyways i love the case because 1 no one has it, andi like the look of it. Is that a ****ing problem?

Thanks for the input.

I have been talking to alot of people, and i have decided to mount a 2x120 rad on the top, there should be enough room for the fans to fit internally as well, but i was contemplating, and decided to have the fans blowing out, and have the 80 in the front, and 120 in the back of my case blowing in, yes i konw that air will be a little bit hotter, but i think it will work better that way, and i believe i can dremel a few of the inner walls on that top piece without any external damge, and mainiting the support from the brackets. it should work out very well. thanks for all the input, and keep it coming... once i get all of the parts, and start to put it together i will start a build log. thanks...

also one thing i just thought of, if you are mounting it on top...

maybe you can cut the metal part on top to create your own shroud out of the top of the case? like little flaps that go up up to hold the heatercore alittle higher than the fans? or visa versa.

it might be hard to think of at first, it just came to me, but just think of how you can cut the top of the case to make like a shroud out of the top metal, also with doing that idea you can also have the metal cut an angel to angel the heatercore so its aiming alittle at the back area of the case.

hmm i kind of het what your saying, do you have aim? anyways so like when i cut the case hace part of it 90º down as a shroud? like to hold it up there, or even angle one a bit, and the other a bit so it is pointed just a few degrees to the back, that would be cool, what sould i use to cut it, and how big shuold the holes/squares be?

i am thinking of buying a heater core, so what else would be needed to mount it + fans onto it? im really new. thanks alot..

nope, i dont have aim, even though i work for the company that produces it :sn:

i think you are on the right track with my "shroud" idea, i hope someone else will help pick it up, b/c like i said it just came to me, and i would have to take a day or so to work out all the details in my head for it.

and like alot of people use on the forums, everyone will probably agree that a dremel is your best friend in modding computers.

and for mounting the fans, i put a post in that other post where you asked the same question :)

yeah i havebeen thinkig about that angled thing, and i think it would work pretty well especailly because i have more room for it to dip down a little bit in the rear, i jest need to figure out more about the haetercore/rad and see how tha tthey need to be mounted and fans and stuff, i am really grey in that area, any clear pics of this would be great..

i just thought of alittle progression for the case/shroud idea, you can cut the top, bend them down and then bend alittle lip on that bent down piece and you can either mount the heatercore there or the fans.

i get "mount it there" what do you mean, or the fans, would it just sit on that little lip? i get that but like then how would i mount the fans, and would i need to screw it in? where would i get the holes to screw into, i definatly like this slanting idea.. but i am still really confused bout moutning things to/to things heatercores..

maybe this thing? http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=93421

xCRF450 said:
i get "mount it there" what do you mean, or the fans, would it just sit on that little lip? i get that but like then how would i mount the fans, and would i need to screw it in? where would i get the holes to screw into, i definatly like this slanting idea.. but i am still really confused bout moutning things to/to things heatercores..

maybe this thing? http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=93421

yeah, that little kit will work perfect.

what you can do for like the mounting of the heater core, you can drill 4 holes in the little "lip" from the drop down angled part of the top of the case and then use that little mounting kit to hold the heater core to the little lip and then you can use 2 more rad mounting kits to mount the 2 120mm fans to the heater core, of course all with the little foam pads in between to space them and reduce vibration.

also one thing, you'll have to cut alittle from where the top and bottom fo the heater core will be at, so you can close it off on all 4 sides

but i would take all this into careful consideration before, b/c you still might just be better off cutting 2 120mm holes in the top metal and going from there.
just so it doesnt go horribly wrong with the cutting and your out a case.

but if this is done it would probably be very cool and look great.

"alittle paint power"

i dont know the exact sizes, so actually fan#2 in its current spot will probably have more room than shown. and of course you could always increase the angel.

Attachments

• first design.JPG
    first design.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,681
yes that is really what i like, i think that would turn out very nice if i do it right which i will, and take a lot of time and measurements, shouldnt the barbs be on the otherside you think maybe so i could run my hoses to them easier? also i dont know i am just checking, is it always fans on the outside? i dunno for some reason i though it would go fans, then rad, then wall of case, but i like that idea too thanks for the drawing, keep the help coming :)

xCRF450 said:
yes that is really what i like, i think that would turn out very nice if i do it right which i will, and take a lot of time and measurements, shouldnt the barbs be on the otherside you think maybe so i could run my hoses to them easier? also i dont know i am just checking, is it always fans on the outside? i dunno for some reason i though it would go fans, then rad, then wall of case, but i like that idea too thanks for the drawing, keep the help coming :)

yeah it would be better for the barbs to be at the other end, i just threw them on quick.

and the reason the fans are on the outside, pulling air through the heater core is b/c people seem to feal a "pull" arangement is better than a push arangement, i had mine in a pull arrangement, where they were sucking air through the heater core, and it proved very useful.

xCRF450 said:
yo S random, post some pics of your case, i bet it is really cool. Anyways i love the case because 1 no one has it, andi like the look of it. Is that a ****ing problem?

Thanks for the input.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125448

thats my case, pretty generic, i got it because of features and room to work with as well as it being extremely light, if i wasnt pushed for cash id go for a lian li. the vento 1) costs 140 dollars, 2) im sure the plastic around it does nothing to help airflow or weight (as well as being steal), 3) looks completely over done, and i cant see it fitting in any room

edit -eobard

Last edited by a moderator:
Back