• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCP-655 ==> First Impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaky

Skulltrail Junkie
well, i recieved my two MCP-655 pumps from sidewindercomputers.com today (props to them for uber-fast shipping), and i thought i'd give you my first first impressions on them

first thing i was surprised by was the packaging - it didn't come in a flimsy tagboard box like the MCP-650 did - it came in a nice sturdy cardboard box with a little cut-out for the pump to sit in so that it didn't bounce around in shipping

second, it shipped with a peice of double-sided sticky neoprene & two 8-32 threaded screws w/ rubber washers to mount it with (already knew that it came with it, but just giving you guys a breakdown)

it also has the new speed dial on the motor housing, but i doubt most people are ever gonna utilize this, as its already damn quiet, and who wants to decrease the performance of their pump anyways?

i was anxious to set them up and see how well they worked - but when i primed them & plugged them into my PSU - nothing happened for ~10 seconds except for a little trickle of water coming out of the top tube - but oh my! water started spewing from the pump housing & i quickly turned the PSU off :bang head

upon further inspection, i noticed that BOTH of the pump housings were loose, so i tightened them down, primed the pumps again & switched the PSU back on - it came to life & started spewing water all over the floor cause i didn't see that the output hose was hanging over the edge of the sink :rolleyes:

while searching for the cause of the leak, i also noticed that one of the pumps was missing the two screws holding it to the mounting bracket - there were threads inside the holes & scratches on the bracket as if there were once screws there, but for some reason, they were missing :eh?:

but once i got them working, i was very impressed with their performance - it shot a nice stream of water from ~4 feet away into the sink, and if i tried to block the output hose, it would start spraying water in every which direction, not letting me close it off without jamming my finger into the end of the hose, so these little buggers definitely put out a good amount of pressure

i was also impressed by how loud they were - they were not audible at all from 2 feet away, unlike the 650/D4's which emit a high-pitched whining/buzzing sound that is clearly audible over any other noises

overall, i think that i made a good choice buying 2 of these to replace my Laing D4's, the #1 tradeoff being the extremely quiet operation of the MCP-655, so it definitely have my stamp of approval :thup:

Pics:

1: packaging
2: both pumps
3: neoprene pad & screws/rubber washers
4: speed dial
5: missing screws

(there are new pics further through the thread which show much more accurate results (bucket let air get sucked into the pump)

Attachments

• packaging.jpg
    packaging.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 573
  • twopumps.jpg
    twopumps.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 625
  • neopreneandscrews.jpg
    neopreneandscrews.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 536
  • speeddial.jpg
    speeddial.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 582
  • missingscrews.jpg
    missingscrews.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 625
Last edited:
more pics:

1: test setup
2: it leaks!
3: nice strong stream of water coming from the hose
4: plenty of pumping force even after sucking water up three feet from a bucket & then up ~3ft of tubing in the air
5: Sneaky's seak of approval :attn:

(there are new pics further through the thread which show much more accurate results (bucket let air get sucked into the pump)

Attachments

• testsetup.jpg
    testsetup.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 539
  • leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 577
  • stream1.jpg
    stream1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 584
  • stream2.jpg
    stream2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 541
  • sealofapproval.jpg
    sealofapproval.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
I am using one of these pumps right now and love it. I switched from using Danner 3 for years and am very happy with the upgrade. I also had to tighten down the screw on housing but I had no problem with screws like you stated. I didn't even use the mount I just used the neoprene pad and mounted on the backside (where the dial is). Excellent pump.

Acurax said:
Ordered 2 of these the other day for my new setup... cant wait :D

i'm being outdone... :bang head

i'm gonna order a 3rd one when my paycheck comes on wednesday :p

i MUST be different, i MUST be superior :burn:

I'm pretty tapped out for now so i will just continue to have to be happy with my 50z. At least it is quiet! What in the world are you going to do with 3 of those? Filter a pool, perhaps?

Sneaky said:
i'm being outdone... :bang head

i'm gonna order a 3rd one when my paycheck comes on wednesday :p

i MUST be different, i MUST be superior :burn:
Then you'll need 4, let me give you a reminder :D Anyway, 4 in series would effectively double the flow of 1 655 but at that point, get an RD-30.

pumps1.jpg

......................wow.... ^ thats cool hehehe.

What's the difference in specs between this pump, and the MCP-650, ther than the speed dial?

I'll be satisfied with 2 for now :)

An RD-30 would be lovely, but hard to get one...

Nik, do the MCP65x series of pumps need to be arranged in such as in the above picture or can they be position in such a way to minimize tubing lengths between inlets/outles? I guess Im wondering how much tubing is needed between the outlet of one and the inlet of the other?

haha nik, the past means nothing (you don't have 2x D4's anymore)... now i just need another $77 :)

the only reason i don't want a RD-30 is because of the 24 PSU

Last edited:
I had danger den d4 and that was loud, it was really pointless going with watercooling with such a loud pump. Hopely this one is more quiet becasue ordered one.

meionm said:
I had danger den d4 and that was loud, it was really pointless going with watercooling with such a loud pump. Hopely this one is more quiet becasue ordered one.

trust me, its about 10x quieter than the D4, you won't regret your purchase

what does the speed dial do? Do you think mounting pump with screws to case has any effect on noise or still remains the same.

the speed dial allows you to adjust the speed of the pump, but if you turn it down at all, it drastically decreases the performance of the pump, so its suggested that you just leave it at 5 (its dead silent even at speed 5)

and mounting it to the case with screws is basically just an extra way of securing it so that if you transport your case alot, the pumps won't move/have possibility of falling off (neoprene might loose adhesion to case)

Thanks for the review Sneaky :santa: <<(Sneaky) lol
I have CC in hand..must resist...mag3 is strong enough.....arghhhh!! Run from thread!!

but this is smaller, it runs off your PSU, and its BETTER! you know you wan it, you know you do! :) (we need that little devil smiley HAHA)

Back