• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Gamble w/ Thermaltake Big Typhoon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Just picked on up and all I can say is this thing is massive....
I know the reviews are few and far between, with no mainstream english reviewers trying it yet....
But what can I say, other than i'll let you all know how it turn out

I'm curious, their recent moves into heatpip sinks have had some mixed reviews, good and bad. If its made well, it looks like it will be a serious performer.

outhouse said:
my TTbig water was not bad but it was not great either. It was better then my all copper zalman

Then you either did something wrong with the Zalman, or the OC fairy kept my temps down all this time :eek:

I dunno, I think TT has been such a joke for most of its past that people disregard it far too quickly based on its errors. I mean, I HARDLY advocate TT as a performance-oriented company, but they can bring home the bacon on a few products here and there.

I have a TT Silentboost in my rig right now, and I'm currently running the OC in my specs and not going over 46C load, and with almost no noise from it either.

It's never wise to assume the future shall resemble the past (but always a good idea to keep in mind that its likely :p)

it's possible for thermaltake to make good products, many german silencing sites have shown their massive piped sinks outperforming thermalright's offerings and i believe them, i just have a big issue with misleading advertising and thermaltake engages in it almost as much as silenx.

The typhoon looks exactly like the XP-120, only worse. From what I can see, the design is the same except the fins don't reach the bottom on the TT. Phisycs say that the 120 should be better (more surface area), but in practice...I guess we'll find out!

i got it
but 1st let me all tell you one thing, it doesnt mount upto a Abit NF7 as it comes, you need to mod the mount bracket to make it fit on this motherboard.

For now i will say it is supper silent and makes my old sink:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles635/ Vantec Aeroflow With TMD Fan
Is called a low noise fan, well compaired to the Big Typhoon that HSF is a supper loud.

Now i bet you all want to see some temp ratings...
Well sorry but that just isnt going to happen today. My friend has my AS 5 so i have only been able to use an old tube of AS Ceramique. I didnt pay any close attention either when applying it so, i am sure the temps would drop another 1 or 2 degress from what i have under full load. But this cooler is defentatly a kepper, its keeping a CPU just shy of 100watts right now just as cool as my P3 would run

TT is known to make mid- and low-quality products, but in this case it simply means, that you may potantially get nice temperature drop by lapping heatsink base and playing with heatpipes (maybe some soldering fix).

NF7 temp readouts are pretty random, but after you finish it, please post results compared to your previous cooler. Have you got any pics? This heatsink looks pretty cool.

Ven0m said:
TT is known to make mid- and low-quality products, but in this case it simply means, that you may potantially get nice temperature drop by lapping heatsink base and playing with heatpipes (maybe some soldering fix).
Thanks for the tips....
but i think we all know what the rep they have is
I can feel ridges on the base so lapping may help, however, i dont know if the strain on the heatpipes would be a good idea.

Ven0m said:
NF7 temp readouts are pretty random, but after you finish it, please post results compared to your previous cooler. Have you got any pics? This heatsink looks pretty cool.

All software based readouts are pretty random. When they were 1st introduced with the P2 we mainly just ignored them and used our own thermal couples...

However, for some reason people think they are ok now....
Any myself sadly cant give and real temp reading as i only have software to use. I will give you my c/w once i get some AS5 and i put some effort into applying the paste not just dap some down in the middle and hope for the best, as that is what i did in this case. My buddy hopefuly remembers to bring me my thermal paste and i will be able to pick it up at work tomorrow night.

But as it stands, Prime is full loading me at 45C with a room temp around 23-25C. CPU is puuting out right now around 110watts at 2500MHz with a 1.82Vcore
So the quick and dirty c/w would be 0.18 - 0.2

As for pics, here is one with no fan installed.
Will be trying my panaflow on it later on that pushes some real CFM just to see if this sink can use a high CFM fan

Attachments

• nofan.jpg
    nofan.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,849
sjaak back your post with proof cause your way off !.

unless you own one, you wont know

i paid the price and im sorry i bought it

you my friend are talking smak without the proof of potato salad

outhouse said:
sjaak back your post with proof cause your way off !.

unless you own one, you wont know

i paid the price and im sorry i bought it

you my friend are talking smak without the proof of potato salad

I'm sorry but i have been running three variations of the copper Zalman for more then two years now. With a little modification (added fans to the bracket) they have kept my temps way below any of the competitors i've had my hands on (thermaltake, arctic etc.) Also, what i've read from thermaltake the past months...not good.

Plus, it was partially a fun poke. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Proof? My 2.8c @ 3.8Ghz on air, with the all-copper intel version. And the AMD 2500+ mobile @ 2.5Ghz, with the all copper AMD version. And the 2.0C @ 3.6Ghz with the ALCU intel version.

hi'
I have to agree with Sjaak, I have a TT pipe101 heatpipe with 80mm noiseblocker fan, and I don't know their past, but I can say that I never seen my proc running so cool, 32 idle and never more than 56 in full load (100%) under prime with full stess ...
may be it's time to try again some of the latest TT as some(like zalman) claim to reduce more than intel ones, as I read a review, it's all crap!!
anyway, I'm pretty happy of the TT I have mounted ;) sorry :)

francois

Thanks for response, jAY.
This cooler looks so huge on your photo. Fan mounting bracket looks interesting.
Have you tried sealing the holes, where there are no fins (top-left and bottom-right corners of cooler on photo) and was it hard to mount it on your mobo?
It looks pretty heavy too. So have you mounted it to case too?

I ask so many questions, because I might potentially get such cooler. It looks really great and has some modding potential. My previous sentence about quality was mostly because in reviews they test "stock" coolers. So after for example lapping Swiftech/Zalman and TT heatsinks, TT gains more and looks better in comparision than before.

No mods to the cooler yet, just the mountain bracket, so no i havent tried to seal the holes.

This is what is required to do if you want to install the sink on a NF7:

Pic 1 shows the screws coming throught the motherboard

Pic 2 shows how the H-Bracket slips over the screws. Note that the Caps are blocking the H-bracked and so is the CPU fan header

Pic 3 Shows the planed areas (in green) that I was goign to cut

Pic 4 Show the H-Bracket after i used the hack-saw

Pic 6 Show everything that was cut off

And now you have a working brakcet for your NF7

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 620
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 524
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 542
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 572
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 591
Great :D
I initially thought that the only option was total DIY bracket - I didn't expect that this cooler is "Socket A compatible". It just looked too big, too risky (crushing cores and such stuff).

It's good that you hadn't got greater problems. Perhaps I'll check something like that or Sonic Tower.

It claims to be 100% socket A compatible, but as the quality of TT has been jabed at already in this thread, suprise suprise....
They dont list what motherboards it will fit on on thier website

Back