• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Those of you who have removed your IHS......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MassiveOverkill

Is it held on my black silicon rubber, or some harder compound? Is it feasible to re-glue it back on using automotive style black silicon? What kind of TIM does AMD use on the IHS-core interface? Thanks.

I removed mine off of my nc 3400. I don't know if I would call it rubber but it is a little tougher than a rubber substance. If I were to glue it back on, I think I would use a little dab of something, maybe a silicone, on a couple of corners. And if I were to place the ihs back on, I would use AS5.
Have you taken yours off?

I haven't removed mine yet. My venice core temps are about 5C idle, and 10C load higher than my winnie's at the same voltage. I'm thinking the IHS isn't making decent contact.

the last guy i heard that removed that thing.....was selling the cpu on a sales forum and the buyer was NOT very happy
why do u think chips r made in laboratories?
if its a new cpu just rma.....i guess...its yours u have payed 4 it u can do whatever u want

just post some results...(sorry i am beeing cinic..)

my humble advice is....dont

seeya

I did that once on a k6-2, just to see what was there. I replaced the thermal gunk wiht silver paste and used a RTV sealant to glue the spreader back onto the chip. It worked fine, but I'm not sure about A64's.

I don't have a heatspreader to remove. :D That could be part of the fact that my CPU is old enough to be put in a museum.

But yes, you can drop your temperatures quite a bit. I beleive the substance between the core and the heatspreader is something similar to a thermal pad. If you think about the inefficiency of using a thermal pad, with an IHS, you somewhat have that innefficiency, plus the actual heat spreader itself for the heat to conduct through, then through your thermal compound, then to the heatsink. That is allot more conducting to be done before the heat can get to the heatsink than if you did not use an IHS.

Also for any Intel users reading this thread, DO NOT get any ideas! With the introduction of the Prescott core Intel solders the IHS to the core. Remove the IHS, you destroy the core!

MassiveOverkill said:
Is it held on my black silicon rubber, or some harder compound? Is it feasible to re-glue it back on using automotive style black silicon? What kind of TIM does AMD use on the IHS-core interface? Thanks.

The TIM is a white caulky stuff. Just basicly fell off my slug and rub with the finger and it was off the IHS.

As for the matrial holding it on. its like a black silicone. The stuff used on mine was like a black silicone. Very light and elastic. Also reminded me of the stuff unsed in some auto winshield installs.

As for puting it back on? I wouldnt bother. Ive broken p2's out of there coffins and modded sinks for them with no problems. My p3'es where nakes as is xp's and such. Ive takin the IHS of p4 willies and northys. Had a 2.4c naked and it ran up to 3.4ghz naked. Had a psu go high volt and fried the whole system in less than a sec. It really sucked. A total loss. But the cpu loved being open.

Its not a hard mod and can be fruitfull. It does void warrenty. But I did that 1st boot,,, the a64 has never booted at stock speeds.

Plus you get a really cool case badge :)

good luck

WOuld it increase the ability to cool it better? Think it would get you a better oc?

Well, with the horror stories of people cracking their cores, what I may do is remove my IHS, slap some Shin-Etsu down, reglue it back on, and then be done with it. I was pretty happy with my former 28/38C temps on my winnie and if I can get 31/41C or lower, I'll be happy.

MassiveOverkill said:
Well, with the horror stories of people cracking their cores, what I may do is remove my IHS, slap some Shin-Etsu down, reglue it back on, and then be done with it. I was pretty happy with my former 28/38C temps on my winnie and if I can get 31/41C or lower, I'll be happy.

If you're using water cooling and your block pulls in to the CPU with screws, it's darned near impossible to hurt the core. The ones in danger are those where you bend a piece of spring steel down to catch the ears on the zif socket. I've mounted and dismounted my exposed core Winchester dozens of times testing different water blocks and it's as pristine as the day I removed the IHS. Remember, that IHS, regardless of who's paste you use adds resistance to the thermal conduction path and that equals less efficient cooling.

Hoot

first off know that with a 939 socket, the core is lower than the plastic socket so you will need a stepped base on your heatsink or you will need to shave down the plastic (haven't seen that link in a while!)

second the 90nm cores are very fragile for some reason, so be careful :( the IHS definitely does suck though

Last edited by a moderator:
Back