• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Mod the D and Ultra-D to SataII and SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THunDA

I posted this in my other thread but figured since its a new mobo it deserves its own thread..

DFI just came out with a new NF4 motherboard the "DFI NF4-D".. Its just like the NF4 Ultra-D but doesnt have SataII or SLI enabled in the chipset..Now since DFI uses the same pcb and chipset as their SLI motherboards this board CAN be modded to enable SLI and SataII !! ..

All you need to do is bridge the contacts like explained in ExRoadie's guide but connect two more and you have yourself a SLI-D..

Here is a pic of which ones need to be bridged..
mod6jt.jpg

This is a very easy mod and the price for this mobo is currently $117 @ mwave.. So all you need is a bridge and you have yourself a SLI-D motherboard.. :)

*some links*
DFI NF4-D for sale at ZipZoomFly
DFI NF4-D for sale at Mwave
DFI NF4-D for sale at monarchcomputer
Link to ExRoadie's guide for the SLI mod..

Last edited:
JasonE4 said:
Why would you get this over the Ultra-D that is about the same price?

Cuz its even cheaper then the Ultra-D and also mods to a SLI-D.. $14 is $14.

Every little bit counts.. :)

THunDA said:
Its just like the NF4 Ultra-D but doesnt have SataII or SLI enabled in the chipset..

Just to clarify- the Ultra-D doesn't have SLI enabled either.

CJ

krag said:
Excellent thread bro! Gotta love DFI! :santa:

Thanks Krag :) Hopefully more people will do the mod .. its so dam easy too.

CJ4 said:
Just to clarify- the Ultra-D doesn't have SLI enabled either.

CJ

Nope it doesnt..

lol, answered my question about the one on monarch. i did a search but couldnt find a non ultra version becuase thought it was old lol

apu318 said:
Do you have to flash the bios with something different? Or is it once you short those solder points out, it just works kinda deal?

Nope.. Just do the mod and use the nf4 bios.. once the mod is done bios and drivers just see that u have a sli mobo\chipset..

Question about the board. On the manual it says the SATA is only 1.5gb while the other boards are 3gb. The board has only 4 SATA ports (other four only has place for it to be soldered onto) Will the current 4 SATA ports run at 3gb?

Warren G said:
Question about the board. On the manual it says the SATA is only 1.5gb while the other boards are 3gb. The board has only 4 SATA ports (other four only has place for it to be soldered onto) Will the current 4 SATA ports run at 3gb?

yup they all do.. :)

i was wondering if im using the sata in raid right now, and if i do the SATAII pin mod, will it have any negative effects on my current sata raid?

zer0nix said:
woot! i was wondering which dfi nf4 board to go for, thanks! :D

Happy to help you decide..

If you have any questions about the mod just ask.. :p

On thing to look out for is that NVidia officially & at least originally uses/used two different cores for the NForce4. The one used in the NF4 normal edition is an older design thats not supposed to have as many PCIe lanes or SATA-II so you may end up not getting the support for SLI or SATA-II even after doing the mod. If you have the newer core design that they used for the NF4 Ultra & NF4 SLI (they're the same chip but have one resistor thats different between the two, which is why the mod works from Ultra -> SLI) then it'll work just fine since you have a wolf in sheep's clothing so to speak ;).

I hope that everyone gets the latter & not the former (it would be cheaper to just make one chip & bin it to each spec than to keep two designs in the fabs so hopefully they follow the economic/fun for us path). Happy modding.

Last edited:
Moto7451 said:
On thing to look out for is that NVidia officially & at least originally uses/used two different cores for the NForce4. The one used in the NF4 normal edition is an older design thats not supposed to have as many PCIe lanes or SATA-II so you may end up not getting the support for SLI or SATA-II even after doing the mod. If you have the newer core design that they used for the NF4 Ultra & NF4 SLI (they're the same chip but have one resistor thats different between the two, which is why the mod works from Ultra -> SLI) then it'll work just fine since you have a wolf in sheep's clothing so to speak ;).

I hope that everyone gets the latter & not the former (it would be cheaper to just make one chip & bin it to each spec than to keep two designs in the fabs so hopefully they follow the economic/fun for us path). Happy modding.

Im not sure where you heard that from and it may be true with other mobo manufacturers .. But I have a inside source that has confirmed for me that ALL of DFI's NF4's are moddable.. And that they purchased twenty-thirty thousand raw chips and they are all the same.. They have many that are not even placed on boards yet, so DFI's will be moddable for quite some time..

:)

Back