• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to use Motherboard Monitor with A8N-SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slake

I have seen a few people mention that they can't get Motherboard Monitor to work with the A8N-SLI board. I don't know if this is a widespread problem or not, but since Asus Beta Bios 1008 trashed Asus Probe on my system and at least a few others, I thought it may be helpful to post the settings to use in order to enable MBM5.

EDIT: Software based overclocking and diagnostic tools may interfere with MBM5 and cause lockup at the desktop after making changes in these programs. Try setting a delay of 10 seconds for MBM to load. If it locks at the desktop, you will probably get a error screen from MBM stating that it failed to load, QUICKLY (it will lock up in a few seconds) CLICK THE SELECTION TO DELETE THE MBM.INI FILE.
I had to restart a few times after making changes in A64 tweaker before it gave me the mbm error screen.

During program installation and setup it asks you which mobo you have - Select ASUS CUSL2-C
After installation bring up Dashboard and settings.
After each change remember to click "apply" to see the change take effect in the dashboard.
On the temps setup screen select Temp 1 from the drop down, and in the "Should Display Sensor" drop down select ITE8712F-1.
For temp 2 (Board Temp) select sensor ITE8712F-2
EDIT: temp 3 (Chipset temp?) select sensor ITE8712F-3
Thanks JudgeDredd for pointing this one out- Seems I am not entirely sure what ITE8712F-2 and ITE8712F-3 monitor but I think #2 is System temp, whatever that means) and #3 monitors the nForce 4 core. If anyone knows for sure , please word-up!
:eh?:
From the Basics screen , scroll down to enable detection of temp sensors on your hard drive. You have to restart MBM5 for the drive temp to show up.
MBMHDTemp.jpg

On the Voltages setup screen select Core 0 (Vcore) and "Should Display" will be locked at "MBM Fixed" so in the Voltage Configuration box select ITE8712F Standard 2, Make this same Voltage configuration selection (ITE8712F Standard 2) for +3.3, +5 and +12 volt displays. I couldnt get any of the negative values to work with any selection.

You can select the visual tab and rename each gauge anything you want to. Before Asus Probe was killed by the 1008 Bios it totally agreed with MBM5 on all the settings. I miss the history function of probe, but MBM has one too that I haven't really used yet.
Here is what mine looks like. Note that the room temp at the time was 25C and Pime had been running for about 2 and a half hours.

MBM5ona8n.jpg

I hope this helps those having trouble setting up MBM5 on their system.
P.S.- If anyone cares to make some reccommendation on getting my system Prime stable at 2.6- :shrug: I'd like that

Last edited:
This is good info. Right after I BIOS updated and couldn't use PC Probe anymore I decided to try MBM5 again and see if I could get it read correctly and my results were the same. Except I didn't select a motherboard, just manually configured all the sensors, and it came out about the same. MBM reads my 12v pretty damn low, even lower than PC Probe reads it. Oh well, I have an external sensor for that so I'm not that worried about it.

You didn't mention anything about the third thermal sensor that you can display... I pretty sure it's a power mosfet reading. At idles, mines around 28C, and load about 34C. It goes up too fast to be one of the HDD, and by the speed it DOES go up, it seems to be the power mosfets.

JudgeDredd said:
........You didn't mention anything about the third thermal sensor that you can display... I pretty sure it's a power mosfet reading. At idles, mines around 28C, and load about 34C. It goes up too fast to be one of the HDD, and by the speed it DOES go up, it seems to be the power mosfets.

Thanks JudgeDredd; To tell the truth I wasn't aware of that one (ITE8712F-3)
. I just enabled it and I see that it does get pretty warm when I ran the MBM5HU.exe file that stresses the cpu... hmm as a matter of fact it jibes with the external sensor that I have on the nForce 4 core. Looks to me like it's reporting the chipset temp and I was wrong in my setup instructions where I said the ITE8712F-2 sensor monitored the nForce4 temp.Actually that sensor is "system temp" , whatever that is- I just ASSUMED System temp meant chipset temp. Looks to me like ITE8712F-3 is the chip(set) sensor. Doh . :bang head . I should known my nForce chip wasn't peaking at only 31C even with the Blue Orb/AS5 cooling it. I guess it could be the mosfets but I never really heard of the mosfets being temp monitored. :eh?:
I'm betting it's the chipset. Thanks for pointing that out JudgeDredd
Edit of Edit- Hell I'm totally confused now - My external probe on the nForce chip says 38 and MBM #3 says 30 - :shrug:
If anyone knows the real-deal on these sensors, please let us know.

Last edited:
My chipset heatsink is almost always WAY too hot to even touch, so I doubt that the sensor three is that. There have been boards that put temp sensors by the mosfets, I know Shuttle does it on almost all of their boards.

When I start a double Prime95, the temp almost immediatly jumps from 28C to 34C... I'd think the only thing that could heat up that fast would be power mosfets.

That sounds right to me. It cools down really quick, in just a few seconds it goes from 36c to 30c after the burn in stops. The mosfets do have huge sinks on them and my Zalman is almost right on top of them.

OK, so temp 3 is the MOSFETs? Interesting...

I htink under Voltages->Voltage Configuration, The Elitegroup N2U400-A measures the -12 and -5 correctly. With that setting, they are reading -12.86 and -4.00, which sounds about right. Unfourtunatly, that throws off all of the other readings.

Back