• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BOINC GUI Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyrinon

I ended up with a bad case of spyware last night when I was researching stuff from google so I shut off the 2.4c for the night until I could get the prob fixed today.

Spyware is gone now, and I'm left with the Boinc error. I'm running 4.19 and the error states "Failed to cleanup the Windows Sockets Interface" (no quotes of course...) and lets my click OK or x it out. Boinc starts crunching in the background after the error shows up and continues after the error box is closed.

I don't have Boinc running atm, until I can get some info about this. So, you fellas have any ideas on what the error means and how to fix it?

BTW, I noticed a new boinc version available today, but don't want to install it until 4.19 is fixed (if possible).

I suddenly started getting this error on one of my brother's machines today - I'll be taking a look at it tonight to see what's up.

Since all the WUs from the last week have been uploaded I will probably just install 4.25 on top of it - but before I do that if I come up with any reasons why its having trouble I'll post here.

In the past this has happened to me when I install BOINC as a service and forget to remove the boinc gui from the startup folder. Checking that you haven't done the same would be my first suggestion for debugging.

Nope. I haven't set Boinc as a service so I run it from the startup folder...

I'm looking forward to hear the result from your brother's machine and how the upgrade to 4.25 goes.

:)

i've had that problem on my xp machine. If i start Boinc from one profile, and switch into another, and open the GUI I get that error, it doesn't affect your crunching or anything else, So it is safe to ignore

Well - the problem went away - not sure what it was :)

As for 4.25 - I was a little disappointed because it requires you to uninstall any previous version of boinc prior to installation. HOWEVER - I was very very please to see that once I got 4.25 installed - it had not deleted any of my work units nor their progress - sweet! :)

4.25 of course represents a major GUI change, ability to suspend projects/work units individually for each client, etc.

Service problems still exist (you can install it as a service, however command-line switches like return_results_immediately still seem to be ignored, bleh.

Anyway - hope that helps. I'd say go for the 4.25 upgrade - it doesn't seem to delete any work units (I've done it on two machines now) - not that I'm promising you won't be the first to have trouble :)

Enk

I get that same error when i try to open the same boinc GUI. Basically its just trying to open another GUI, then it closes so ignore it.

BOINC is probably running in the background

Got one machine that's had this for a couple months at least, only happens when restarted and does'nt seem to have any effect so I have'nt realy worried about it.

Back