• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600GT AGP Cooling Solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

consumer9000

Former STASIS Guy
Here are a few pics of some early prototype test mules I had been working with. I thought you guys might like to see how the STASIS IceStorm cooling solution mounts up and what the fundamental design is like. Bear in mind that the final revision units are slightly larger and have a markedly larger copper heatspreader. The base is machined to within 1/1000th of an inch and the heatpsreader is recessed to the exact depth needed to accomodate the height difference between the RAM and the GPU, and bonded to the aluminum component using Arctic Silver thermal epoxy. Note the contact patches were marked with a small dab of Arctic Silver 5. The fan is a 60mm that pushes close to 20CFM, while being quieter than most stock solutions, at only 27db. I'll put some new pictures up when I get a chance. :)

Attachments

• IceStorm Installed Top Small.jpg
    IceStorm Installed Top Small.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,350
Last edited:
Lapped in 4 stages - CNC Flycutter, 220 grit, 400 grit, and 600 grit Diamondpaper. :)

Attachments

• Heatsink Lapped Face Small.jpg
    Heatsink Lapped Face Small.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,332
Last edited:
I hope there better than the stock fan!

My 6600 Fan is a dammed lot lounder than my CPU fan, all i can hear is the stupid little fan!! Grrrrr

anyone know which brand has close to silent stock fan? is artic cooling going to come out with a solution for 6600gt?

Arctic Cooling will not be releasing a solution for the 6600GT AGP in the foreseeable future. The Stasis IceStorm unit is as quiet if not quieter than most OEM cooling setups, and if you hook the fan up to a fan bus or speed controller, you can achieve near silence as long as you stay in 2D mode. Temperature reductions on the test setups have been impressive, overall drops of 4-7C at idle and 5-10C under load are common, and taking in to account that the heatsink is cooling both the RAM and the GPU I am very happy with the results. :)

Attachments

• Backplate Small.jpg
    Backplate Small.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,310
Last edited:
Just buy the Leadtek 6600gt agp and you don't have to change hs/f. Quiet and cool. Mine is OC'd to 570/1060 and never goes over 60c ever.(even after an hour straight of HL2) Idles at 42c. Very quiet.

consumer9000 said:
Arctic Cooling will not be releasing a solution for the 6600GT AGP in the foreseeable future. The Stasis IceStorm unit is as quiet if not quieter than most OEM cooling setups, and if you hook the fan up to a fan bus or speed controller, you can achieve near silence as long as you stay in 2D mode. Temperature reductions on the test setups have been impressive, overall drops of 4-7C at idle and 5-10C under load are common, and taking in to account that the heatsink is cooling both the RAM and the GPU I am very happy with the results. :)

But they will be bringing it out for the PCI version, which is good news for some :(.

We will have a new model NV Silencer 6 which will be compatible on NV6600
PCIe and 6600GT PCIe. We expected it will be available in Feb 2005.
Unfortunately we do not have a cooler for the AGP versions yet.

Best Regards

It's this or the Zalman VF700 - Cu/AlCu at the moment, and possibly the Coolermaster Coolviva

I just saw that Buy.com is having a big sale, which includes an XFX nVidia Geforce 6600GT AGP sale price of only $189!!! Definitely the lowest I've seen for a great XFX board... :santa2: Just a heads up for any of you have may have been waiting for a great deal!

Matarael said:
But they will be bringing it out for the PCI version, which is good news for some :(.

It's this or the Zalman VF700 - Cu/AlCu at the moment, and possibly the Coolermaster Coolviva

Thanx Matarael, that's what I've been looking for.

Any deal on the PCI-E version of 6600gt? I want to go SLI when DFI939 comes out.

I've seen a 6600GT PCI-E for about $130 but I think you can get cheaper. Don't know about the quality though.

Nothing like GPU idle temps of 35C in a near silent Antec Sonata case... (30C Ambient)
I can finally fold all night long (yes, for Team 32) without having nightmares of being on an aircraft carrier! :eek:
The shroud design has been finalized, and performance has improved, and audible db have decreased. It will be made of clear molded plastic, with more colors (possible lighting options) to come. :clap: (See Attached Image)

Attachments

• Shroud.jpg
    Shroud.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,819
i like my cooling :) Myne is 25c idle, and never goes over 37load.
Thats a stock heatsink from a p4 3.0, with a 25cfm Blower on top of it

76bf7784.jpg
389bf55d.jpg
d58c30a1.jpg

that blower is only like 40db in a case full of fans that hit over 55db, and i have all of them on a fan speed controller so it dont matter.

Haha...nice setup. I remember when you posted those pics earlier on. That's a bit too extreme for most guys, but I'm glad it works well for you! I think I'd prefer the use of my PCI slots and anything over 30db gets annoying over time. Not to mention all the weight your poor card is being subjected to! :bang head

That STASIS cooler looks really good, especially as I doubt that AC will release AGP version of their cooler. OC results are more than impressive. Other good thing is that fan isn't actually over GPU - leaving space for fins, weight doesn't seem to be huge... My overall opinion is very positive.

I'm going to get some new comp - and rather with PCI-E version of 6600 (dunno if GT, funds will show), so I hope that there will be a version of IceStorm avaible in Europe for acceptable price. If not - I'll wait for Silencer or I'll make cooler from AMD or P4 cooler or some completly other heatsink.

I got a question, is there any way you can make an altered design that does something like the NV and ATi silencers by blowing the hot air outta the case?

Back