• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GunnerMan

Ok well I saw the article on www.overclockers.com aboot a barebone lapy exceding the specs of this Vodoo lapy and thought wow why didint I know this! Now that I have learned that I can obtain a fairly priced laptop with good performance we may need to investigate further and I am starting here lol :clap:

Well I am blind to what company has the edge on the Mobile tech. I saw the Intel Dothans with a 2mb cache and AMDs 64 cpus with a higher clock rate and 1 mb cache. AMD uses more power but we are not very worried about power so that is not an issue. So wich cpu comes in first overall? This thing would not be used for games to much maybe a few here and there but mostly for running software, web browsing you know the simple stuff but it needs to be as speedy as possible with a budget of around 1,500. So what is going to last longer? Do not want to need to upgrade it in 6 months.

Another question while I am at it, what about a heat sink will I need to find the right type for the case or is there a standard for that?

Thanks a lot,
Gunner'

As far as mobile cpu technology Intel is ahead making cool running cpus that don't need that much voltage while doing more work per clock then an a64, but when it come to pure performance I don't know who is on top.

The pentium m (not pentium 4 mobile) has a different architecture then the pentium 4, p4 uses netburst arch and the p-m uses P6 arch, no I don't have a link to a test or anything since I found this out here in the forums, but if you really want to know search for it, it's not that easy because it's hard to find a pentium m on a non laptop pc.

Last edited:
here I found a couple of graphs:
CPUMark13.gif

FPUMark13.gif

SuperPI13.gif

more here towards the end of the page: http://www.cpuid.com/PentiumM/index.php

Yup, the dothan is one great chip. It outdoes the fastest AMD / Intel cpus in raw work, which is amazing considering that it only has single channel ddr333 (chipset limitation). As soon as dual channel ddr400 becomes usual for it, it will shine even more.

as an addition to what AVG already showed: Here is more comparison material. The Dothan actually does more work per clock cycle then an AMD64

Avg said:
here I found a couple of graphs:
more here towards the end of the page: http://www.cpuid.com/PentiumM/index.php

those are some very dodgy and misleading results. did u know they used a Palomino with 256kb L2 down-clock to 1.3g to get those results. and they don't even tell you how it was down-clocked and what the stock speed was ???

Sjaak said:
as an addition to what AVG already showed: Here is more comparison material. The Dothan actually does more work per clock cycle then an AMD64

how do u suppose that? do u really know what you're talking about?

If you follow that link you will see that the dothan @ 2.4Ghz generally outperforms the athlon 3400+,which runs at 2.2Ghz. That alone is no proof, but:

Taking in account the fact that the athlon uses dual channel ddr400, and the dothan only single channel ddr333, i believe its safe to say the dothan does more work per clock cycle if we would even up the memory (eg. have the dothan run with dual channel ddr400). It won't beat it in all benches, but in some it does outdo it by a great margin already, (superpi, encoding) and those will take advantage of the extra memory bandwidth if we would even them up.

Um, hate to do some bubble bursting but they were comparing to the Athlon XP and a Palomino at that as the guy above stated, not the 64. This is more believable. There's no way the P4 or the P4m does more work per clock cycle than an Athlon XP Barton, let alone an A64.

theMonster said:
Um, hate to do some bubble bursting but they were comparing to the Athlon XP and a Palomino at that as the guy above stated, not the 64. This is more believable. There's no way the P4 or the P4m does more work per clock cycle than an Athlon XP Barton, let alone an A64.

There is no bubble and no way for you to burst it :p

Read the link i provided, eg. this one That IS an athlon 64 3400+. Then read my post above again.

Big difference: The link that was given by AVG is about Banias, intels mobile chip before dothan. The link i gave was about Dothan itself. Make sure you get that.

Wow!, I read the one you linked to Sjaak and found it most impressive. Now what the hell was that other link all about? Anyway, can you stick one of these badboys in a desktop mobo? I'm very curious now. Can we trust the Frenchies?

The X86 secret article was hot-news a few months ago.

The dothans use socket 479, so s478 with a moved pin. Desktop boards for them are being released, but are yet very expensive. They do offer a large set of features and overclockability though.

See here for one of the mobos and here and here for 2 of the cpus. 1 € = 1,2$

The higher models are very expensive but are likely to go down soon. The lower ones are affordable, and OC very well.

The dothan seems to have a bright future on the desktop, mainly because you can cool it almost passivly, which is a revolution to almost any other desktop-available CPU around. Once prices get down and speeds up, it will get very, very interesting.

Sorry for the link, I just did a quick search and picked one. Since this has been debated before and other members know more about it then me, I expected them to contribute to the post like sjaak did. Even if it's a palomino all of the cpus where underclocked to 1.3ghz, but I guess the a64 wasn't out yet at the time of the tests, but still you can see that it does more wpc then the axp so it should match or perform better then the a64 especially with a new core. It's a great cpu and some think that is what intel is going to be selling after the p4 and it's arch is dead and buried.

Sjaak said:
If you follow that link you will see that the dothan @ 2.4Ghz generally outperforms the athlon 3400+,which runs at 2.2Ghz. That alone is no proof, but:

Taking in account the fact that the athlon uses dual channel ddr400, and the dothan only single channel ddr333, i believe its safe to say the dothan does more work per clock cycle if we would even up the memory (eg. have the dothan run with dual channel ddr400). It won't beat it in all benches, but in some it does outdo it by a great margin already, (superpi, encoding) and those will take advantage of the extra memory bandwidth if we would even them up.

nope,if u read the whole article you would've know they clock teh athlon64 3400+ @ 2.0g using single channel stick compared to a OC dothan @ 2.4g,a 400 mhz teh difference teh huge.its all very dodgy.

j3lly said:
nope,if u read the whole article you would've know they clock teh athlon64 3400+ @ 2.0g using single channel stick compared to a OC dothan @ 2.4g,a 400 mhz teh difference teh huge.its all very dodgy.

Nope, they say nothing about the 3400+ being underclocked, only that for this benchmark, they gave it single channel ddr:

'Toutes les configurations testées l'ont été avec une mémoire en DDR400 (Dual pour les Pentium 4) en 2-2-2. Le Dothan quant à lui, restait sur son chipset i855PM et sa single DDR333'

'All configurations tested where equipped with DDR400 (dual for the P4) @ 2-2-2. The dothan on his own, had just his i855PM chipset and single ddr333'

That means the comparison is a little more even. Still, Single DDR400 vs. DDR333 can amke a great difference especially in benchies like Superpi. Because dothan already beat the A64 by a great margin, it could only be increased by having faster memory. Therefor i believe its still safe to say the Dothan has a higher IPC then the A64.

Sudhian Media said:
At first glance, the specs on DFI’s board are scarcely impressive. Single-channel DDR333? Gigabit-over-PCI? AGP 4x? When you consider the Pentium M’s mobile design and the decidedly underpowered chipset (when compared to modern high-end PC’s), it’s hard to get very excited. In fact, if the numbers mean anything, this platform should be blown away.

“Should”, and “Does”, however, are two different things.

And i couln't supress a smile :)

thanks for the backup lol.

Back