• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Antec PSU's & Neo2 Plat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erasmus372

Problems with Antec PSU's & Neo2 Plat!!

***************NEW UPDATED INFO***************
Seems that Antec's (even brand new ones apparently, boo me) still have potential issues with the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum! It has been rumored that this is due to incompatible startup timings between the PSU and mb here: linky

It does not and will not happen to everyone! It is unknown whether it is a batch of Neo2's or what, but the potential for a dead PSU or motherboard is there! It doesn't even seen to happen right away, mine lasted 7 wonderful bug-free days before it refused to boot or spin the fans for more than 2 seconds -- testing found my PSU was functioning 100% fine! My motherboard, however, will have to be RMA'd as it shows the same symptoms no matter what PSU is used now.

Most of the problems seem to be this: customer buys MSI Neo2 Plat board, sets up the new components (Antec PSU powering) and after a day or two the system will fail to make an effort to turn on. They then either RMA it, or can force it to work a couple more days by completely disconnecting the PSU, taking the battery out, and shorting the battery connection. When they get a different brand of PSU the board works fine: edit - if they were lucky and the PSU or motherboard did not damage each other from this bug!

Following taken from Tweaktown. It describes the problem that Abit AV8's were having with the Antec PSU's, and it seems they have been able to remedy it.
10-13-04 Update: As I mentioned before, I have been in contact with Antec and have received a confirmation for the ABIT brand motherboard. Below is a blurb from their company representative on this issue:

We've heard of problems with our TruePower's and Abit's AV8 motherboard.

Recently Abit reported that our True power series has compatibility issue with their AV8. The symptom is the system will be in reboot loop during startup. We've tested all Truepower models here and haven't been able to recreate the problem.

According to our engineers, the symptom is not happening to every unit, but rather to a few here and there. They have found out that the instability was caused by 5Vsb and they come up with a solution by changing a capacitor in the power supply.

As a service to our customers we're replacing problem TruePowers with these updated versions. We instituted an inline change for all TruePower power supplies so that in the near future exchanging the PSU's with us will not be necessary.

Originally Posted by deception``
WARNING ON ANTEC POWER SUPPLIES: Lately, Antec units have seen a loss in quality. This has been especially apparent on Athlon 64 units, as many ex-Antec owners have found that their power supply simply was not cut out to power their K8 system. This is due to the fact that earlier Antec models were not designed according to Athlon 64 specifications. Furthermore, they were vary much castrated in terms of power, which made it very difficult to them to keep up with newer Prescott and K8 systems. Let's take my Antec TP 550W as an example. My first 550W, purchased in January, came with 24A on the +12 volt. Over the summer, I RMA'd my unit and recieved a brand-new 550W, which came with 30A on the +12 volt. So you can just imagine how some of their lesser models have been castrated in the same manner. I have no personal issues with Antec as a whole, but currently I do not feel comfortable in recommending their units to the Athlon 64 enthusiast. And if you already own a low-to-midrange equivalent, NOW is a very good time to consider an upgrade.

For whatever reason Antec made all of its Truepower, TrueBlue, and I think TrueControl with pretty weak amps on the 12v rail when compared to other top PSU brands. The newest models all have +6A higher max over what was previously on the 12v rail, as you can see by deception`'s 550W story. If you have one of these older versions (see Antec's site for current specs) then you may experience problems powering any new A64 system because of said weak 12v rail!

Last edited:
This sounds totally strange. I don't know why it would do that. Same voltage, same lines, yet no worky? Has anyone figured out what exactly is making this happen??

SavageBasher said:
This sounds totally strange. I don't know why it would do that. Same voltage, same lines, yet no worky? Has anyone figured out what exactly is making this happen??

It has something with the voltage sense lines. The Truepowers adjust voltage on the fly basically, but it's having some problems with certain boards.

I can be sure that the TP430 and TC550 work with the Neo2 tho. I built a system on my TC550, then transplanted it in to my friend's TP430 and no problems so far.

I must say the Neo2 is kinda buggy, it's great when you get it up and running but anything prior is tricky.

In case you haven't looked at my entire s939 thread, let me provide you with an excerpt:

deception`` said:
WARNING ON ANTEC POWER SUPPLIES: Lately, Antec units have seen a loss in quality. This has been especially apparent on Athlon 64 units, as many ex-Antec owners have found that their power supply simply was not cut out to power their K8 system. This is due to the fact that earlier Antec models were not designed according to Athlon 64 specifications. Furthermore, they were vary much castrated in terms of power, which made it very difficult to them to keep up with newer Prescott and K8 systems. Let's take my Antec TP 550W as an example. My first 550W, purchased in January, came with 24A on the +12 volt. Over the summer, I RMA'd my unit and recieved a brand-new 550W, which came with 30A on the +12 volt. So you can just imagine how some of their lesser models have been castrated in the same manner. I have no personal issues with Antec as a whole, but currently I do not feel comfortable in recommending their units to the Athlon 64 enthusiast. And if you already own a low-to-midrange equivalent, NOW is a very good time to consider an upgrade.

So if you have an older unit, it may not make the grade when you migrate to an Athlon 64 system. But you don't have to take my word on it: Sentential was in a similar situation when he pieced together is system. He initial tried to run using a TP 430W, only to find that it was not up to the task. So why don't you ask him about his thoughts on the matter.

deception``

Ante TC 550

Motherboard lasted a total of one day. It's on it's way to MSI now. Should I risk hooking it up to the MSI again, or buy a different PSU? If I should buy a new one, which do you guys recommend?

Yup I've read you guide and its great deception` and I happened to see that Sen. did switch from a TP430 which in turn made this system a lot more stable...but was it an updated version or older?

I've run 2 wattage calcs and with all my components they *say* I won't go over about 330W max ~ so a 410W max sustained output PSU should handle ok.

Here is a link to the problem they found with Antec's and Abit:
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=711&dPage=24

I have an RMA number for my PSU now so either way I will probably send it back, see if the new one works with the Neo2 and if it doesn't get something else.

Ninjawreck - your next neo2 will probably do the same thing if other people's stories are to be believed. Doesn't seem to happen to everyone (psu's are hit and miss) but if yours already did it once...

I will most likely buy the following PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0

Nice looking, 500W with 30A on the two 12v's, 24pin (with adaptor) for use on nf4 and I think it is pci-e ready too.

Last edited:
NinjaWreck said:
Ante TC 550

Motherboard lasted a total of one day. It's on it's way to MSI now. Should I risk hooking it up to the MSI again, or buy a different PSU? If I should buy a new one, which do you guys recommend?

Pick up a new motherboard, but look into replacing the power supply. If I were you, I'd go for the OCZ 520W, but there are other options to consider.

deception``

Bleh, this is all over the MSI forums. The older TP's all had like 6A less on the 12v than what they have now and will lock up your system nasty before you can get to windows.

Antec is shipping me a new PSU right now so we'll see if it works! 26A on the 12v now.

I am confused a bit here. Is the problem with the Antec's such that it will actually kill something? Or does it show up in other areas? I run the Neo2 with a Winchester and an Antec TP480 which served my P4 needs just fine. I did however notice that the rails were not as high or stable on the Neo2 and decided to make a change or at least mod the Antec. In the end I just picked up
the Blue Storm instead. I would guess it to be here early next week. I have not had any big problems as of yet other than the low output readings but that could be a bios thing. Only problem I have had is I cannot get as high as what most Week44 Winchesters are getting, 2.6 to 2.7. My Prime95 highest is 2.5 or so. I am hoping a little better power will help. I also have never been able to get much of an o/c on my X800Pro<XT. Maybe it is not getting enough juice. I hope the Dual 12v will help that. It is OK to keep using the Antec, isn't it?

Yes, in my understanding it doesn't "fry" or anything else the motherboard...more like shorting it out I guess. If it ever refuses to turn on, unplugging every power cord and shorting the battery connector is supposed to clear out the problem and make it work again until....well until who knows what makes it do this happens again!

I am gonna ask the RMA guy if I can upgrade my PSU to a higher model while I'm exchanging it with them heh

Your weak OC on the ati card is probably due to low amps on your 12v...what is your max listed at? Old TP480's were 22A and the new ones are 28A.

You are right about it being one of the older ones. Lot of amps on the 5v (38) and 3.3v (30), but only 22 on the 12v where it's needed now. It will be interesting to see what the new psu does for the vid card. I did the mod on it back when I had it along with 4 120mm fans, 3 optical drives, and 3 hdds, 2 of them Raptors. 22 amps was probably a touch on the low side.

I got an oldschool TC550(3.3@40A 12V24A and 5V@32A) and I did not have a single problem with my Neo2(my case is loaded with all the goodies seen in sig plus 2 CCFL dual cathode inverters) and I can not make my rails more then 0.02V what ever the load I can apply.

erasmus372 said:
Yup I've read you guide and its great deception` and I happened to see that Sen. did switch from a TP430 which in turn made this system a lot more stable...but was it an updated version or older?
You sir are correct. My Antec 430W True was old ****ty and it got das boot!

erasmus372 said:
Bleh, this is all over the MSI forums. The older TP's all had like 6A less on the 12v than what they have now and will lock up your system nasty before you can get to windows.

Antec is shipping me a new PSU right now so we'll see if it works! 26A on the 12v now.
Yes also correct Mine has a puny 18A on the 12v+.......
THANKS ANTEC!!!! ANOTHER SATISFIED CUSTOMER!

.......... :temper: :mad:

Pntgrd said:
I am confused a bit here. Is the problem with the Antec's such that it will actually kill something? Or does it show up in other areas? I run the Neo2 with a Winchester and an Antec TP480 which served my P4 needs just fine. I did however notice that the rails were not as high or stable on the Neo2
Which is why I had mine replaced. 11.38 on load = new PSU time. Apparentally the numbers reported in the BIOS are very accurate.

My OCZ is running like a champ. I actually had to de-tune it since it would go over ATX limits once it hits load. OCZ (Topower) is the only PSU Ive heard of that has rails that go UP! when it goes to load

hmm.

question though.

my board recently stopped working and I RMA'd it. its on its way back to me now. I'm running a 450 powmax PSU. When I died, i tried booting with a 400 rosewill PSU from my gfs pc, and a 350 enermax from my moms pc. neither worked. is it that once the board dies its dead for good, and that only certain PSUs will do it to the board, or what?

Im gunna be real pissed if my board dies again while i'm away at school or something

... real pissed. :bang head

I haven't heard about the Neo2 really having any issues with a PSU outside of the Antec's and some have claimed (specifically) the OCZ 530W.

It could definitely just be your board...seems the quality of these are very hit or miss - either works perfectly, or something on it overheats and breaks very fast. I'm waiting on mine to arrive now, if it dies...I will RMA it for the Asus board.

erasmus372 said:
I haven't heard about the Neo2 really having any issues with a PSU outside of the Antec's and some have claimed (specifically) the OCZ 530W.

Do you have a link to this OCZ 530 watt PSU? I didn't know they made one that size.

Last edited:
I think i meant 520W :-/ I can't find it now

Just threw that in there because I've seen it a couple times, but its not proliferent like Antec problems

Ah jesus. I have a 380 watt TP in this box and neo2 on the way... does this actully like kill it? or just make it act stupid? I dont mind buying another psu for this application but if i do there goes my water cooling T_T. AH jeez. $551.25 shipped. i think ill play it safe <_<

Even if your TP380 doesn't have this problem with the neo2, it may be hard pressed to keep your system stable and running at full load (or even idle).

deception`` has recommended everyone run a PSU with at least 26A max(I think it was) on the 12v rail, and while that number may be argued its basis is sound - your cpu, video card, and somewhat the motherboard will all be relying on your 12v rail for stability.

Back