• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project F22

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

obiwan

Registered
Work started today more or less on the F22. Here are a few pics of whats happening so far.

After much head banging over the internal layout i think i have come up with a plan that will work. The object here is #1 to keep it simple. #2 it has to be functional to the point where anyone can use it and #3 light weight!!!
With the major components installed this thing is rapidly gaining heavyweight status :rolleyes: Since it's going to hang from the ceiling it has to be built rugged so i guess there is going to be some tradeoff

Starting at the front under the cockpit is the HD. I know first thought is the Western Digital Raptor but since i just got done buying a couple more for "Colusus" i am out of funds for the next couple months unless someone wants to donate one. :D
So instead I'm going to use a trusty wd 80 for now and use a non sata mobo to save some money.

Where the 2 intakes converge is a 120mm delta. Next is the nec dual layer DVD and will push the weapons bay doors open to eject the disk. I wanted a slot loading dual layer but have yet to find one.

Then is the ASUS A7N8X with a 2600 residing in the socket.
I have always been a fan of Asus and picked this board for the price and built in video. Using a AGP card is possible but would require modification to the point that it would be usless in any other computer.

Next the PSU. I'm going with an Antec this time and straying away from the usual Fortron. Not because i am mad at Fortron but i had this antec on hand and it looked like it would fit the bill perfectly. With the outer case removed it's actually quite small and takes up much less space than i expected.

Last is the 2nd. Delta on the intake side of the exhaust duct. It's probably not needed but i thought it would be kinda neat to have real air moving out the tail and trust me it does!!! :D

The wings are basicly done with the exception of mounting them to the fuse and wiring the anti colision and nav lights. This this is awkward to work with even with the wings off so be to leave them till last.

The cockpit is being done by my oldest girl "The Artist" and will include a full body pilot, Green iluminated HUD and clear bronze tinted canopy for stealth.
Also i decided to go ahead and make all controll surfaces movable and also the air refueling door for sound connectors and the air start and ground power for USB and firwire points. The controll surfaces will be controlled by my Thrustmaster Cougar, Throttle and rudder pedals.

I'm still working on how to incorperate an lcd to display temps and fan speed as "EGT and Engine Percent"

Final paint will be gray camo as Raptor 02.

Let the questions and comments roll................

Attachments

• DCP_0772.jpg
    DCP_0772.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 467
  • DCP_0775.jpg
    DCP_0775.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 368
  • DCP_0776.jpg
    DCP_0776.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 354
  • DCP_0778.jpg
    DCP_0778.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 390
  • DCP_0784.jpg
    DCP_0784.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 422
I dont think i could stuff enough deltas in it!

This thing wouldnt fly now with 20 deltas blowing :D
But thanks for the comments!!!

I used to be into RC Jets and this is a leftover project i never finished. The fuse was built by a guy in florida who did a lousy job but i thought it would work almost perfect for this. Quality rc aircraft jet kits can go from 1k to as much as 5k and more. Finished and flying jets can go for more than 30K. Yes thats 30 grand!!! I know of 1 giant rc B-52 that was worth at least 100 thousand and had 8 small turbine jet engines! Notice i said "Had"
It crashed and i think it was on the maiden flight!!!!

Last edited:
man i wish i had the funds to get into rc airplanes! i had an electric plane, but that crashed pretty badly...

im looking forward to the rest of this project!

thats why i stick with RC cars, i can't affort the stuff. i'm moving on the air plane soon. great idea man.

Back