• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8V Deluxe problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spacehogster

Hi guys,
I apologise if the answer is a really obvious, but this is my first build. I've been bought the A8V and have been having a bit of a problem getting anything working ie any post when the power button is pressed. The fans start to spin but barely make one revolution, that is the PSU, Case and Heatsink fans! No messages or tones at all.

My spec is as follows:
Motherboad: Asus A8V Deluxe Rev 2.00
Processor: Athlon 64 3500+
Heatsink: Standard boxed until problem is sorted then Asus Star Ice
Memory: 2x 1GB Crucial 184-pin Unbuffered DDR PC3200 :drool:
PSU: Tagan TG480-U01 (Ticking)
Graphics Card: Geforce 6800GT

Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
HD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB
Don't thing anythong else is relevant yet, but will post if needed

Having read through the excellent guide by Super Nade I think I have narrowed the problem down to one of the following (Standard really): PSU, Motherboard, CPU, memory or graphics card.
I believe I can discount the PSU as it runs my old (5 yr) Time computer no probs and the ticking appears to be a feature. Also, the motherboad's indicator light is on so it is receiving power.
I have tried both sticks of memory separately in the B1 slot, and both at the same time in A1 and B1 but no joy.
Without the graphics card receiving power I get a brief tone as the fans spin then nothing. I can't test the processor in another motherboard, and likewise vice versa.
I've used up all my knowledge of computers at this stage, and have struggled to find anything on the web. If anyone has any ideas for help they would be gladly received, especiall before I go to PC World (UK) to buy a small stick of RAM as recommended in the Manual

Again many thanks
Spacehogster

Last edited:
most likely your processor is a winchester and your av8 board is a rev1.02 (read this between the pci slots) instead of the rev 2.00 that comes with bios that work, these come with a bios that doesnt support the winchester processor. in order to get it to work you have to update the bios. to 1.007 or greater.

the instructions on this are 3/4 of the way down on this page
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3265278&postcount=2

other than that being the issue. i dunno what the problem could be. maybe your power supply switch is set to 235 instead of 115 like it should be for the USA

lets wait for a senior member (blue star) or super nade (the A8V man) lol

:D @ Time4aMassiveOC

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS SPACEHOGSTER!!!!!!!!!!

I assume you have read the Generic ASUS Troubleshooting e-mail (and the link Time4aMassiveOC posted) part of my guide. Lets look at things sequentially:-

1. Is your Mobo shorting with the case? Often, this is the symptom of a short ckt or a ground loop. Ground yourself before you touch anything inside the case!!! Take the MoBo out of the case, place it on a NON-CONDUCTING ANTI-STATIC sheet. (Usually the one your MoBo was wrapped in would suffice). Now power on the MoBo after you have reseated all components snugly in their slots.

2. How Old is the PSU and what are the specs on it? Your Old PSU may not be good enough (Again the requirements are mentioned in the generic e-mail in my guide).

The fans not spinning most likely imply the above two cases. The RAM and Video card come in if you can't POST.

Try #1 and get back here if it doesn't work. Please list all symptoms in detail.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the quick response

Time4aMassiveOC - I have to admit, I'm not too sure on the version of my Mobo, but will check and post later. The problem though is I can't get to the POST stage, so can't update the BIOS even if I needed to

Super Nade - Yeah I've your thread for the past 3/4 weeks as well as searching the web for answers, but no joy.

#1 check - tried this just before losing my rag and posting the help call!

#2 here are the specs from http://www.tagan.com/main.htm although Custom PC magazine believe the total power may be a little less than stated, but not by much

Output: +3.3v +5v +12v -12v -5v +5vsb
Max Current: 28A 48A 28A 1.0A 0.8A 2.5A
Max Combined 240W 336W 12W 4W 12.5W
Power: 460W 28W
Total Power: 480W

This is a new PSU and the ticking has been deemed a feature :-/ although still awaiting Tagans reply: http://forums.hexus.net/archive/index.php/t-19606.html

Thanks guys for the help!

Spacehogster

Update
Just finished trying out a new stick of PC3200 memory in the B1 slot with the Mobo out of the case on an anti stat mat, but with no luck, I get the same reaction. :(
looks like it's not the memory then, which Leaves Mobo, Graphic card or CPU.

Kinda at a loss now as I don't know how I can test these. Should I try reseating the CPU? :eh?:

Oh and the Motherboard is Rev 2.00

Last edited:
1.Sometimes, a loose wire can sit unnoticed and cause havoc. Check your PSU lines with a Voltmeter and see that it is in spec.

2.Is the CMOS clearing jumper in the correct place? Your computer may not start if its in the Clear position.

3.Don't connect any fans except the CPU Fan. If your CPU Fan does not have a fanspeed sensor or if it is not powered by the motherboard, you can't boot up. Try switching CPU fans and the molex which powers it.

4. Is the 12V 4-pin ATA Power connector plugged in?

After you place it in the Case:
5. If you have the manual I am referring to points 7,11,12,20 page 2-4 (Layout Contents) and all that follows. Especially the ATX Power switch and Reset switches.

6.Your 6800GT is a power hog. I still think your PSU is being sucked dry by the VC. Is your VC being powered? I mean is the molex connecting your VC sung? Try an older VC and see if it works.

first off your 6800gt required a minimum 500w to power your 6800gt. period...you need to upgrade yourt power supply even tho i dont belive thats the posting problem.

your problem is that you have a 1.02 revision board...im fairly sure of it. and you are right ...you are fairly screwed if thats the case. you need a processor that can boot so that you can load the new bios. so ask supernade what you can do...if all his previous advise doesnt work.

I had the same problem with a ABIT AV8 and now with a A8V Deluxe. I called support and they told me me the CPU was overheating, I said no way its not even posting and he continued to say that was the problem. He had me take out the CPU and boot up with no CPU in it, but he had me leave the heatsink fan plugged in, and it started up fine, fans spinning and acctually working. Then I put the CPU in and its been running fine since then.

Im thinking this may be my problem though
1.Sometimes, a loose wire can sit unnoticed and cause havoc. Check your PSU lines with a Voltmeter and see that it is in spec.

What exactly do you mean by that? I had it happen while using 2 different power supplys, however my wiring layout is very messy atm.

AMD 3200 Winchester
Antec 430 Truepower
1 512 Corsair XMS, 1 512 OCZ "both cas 2"
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
2 80 Gig WD HDD's "IDE"
1 Floppy
DVD Burner
DVD Player
3 case fans

I meant the second PSU (5V) line feeding your MoBo. Sometimes, if it is not snugly in the socket, you will have problems. Also, if your HS fan speed sensor wire needs to be in snug.

I've added your tip (reseating the CPU) to my guide. Thanks. I completely forgot about it!

SpaceHogster:
Look at the pic in my guide. It tells you if you have a Rev 1.02 or Rev 2.00 (for sure!).

Try what SilverFire said and see what happens?

Last edited:
Help with A8V

Hi,

This is both my first post and first build and am coming up with the same problem as Spacehogster.

All the new components arrived today and egarly set about building the system:

A8V Delux Motherboard v2 Socket 939
3200+ Winchester Chip
Boxed Heatsink / Fan
Corsair 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200 RAM
Ebuyer 600W Power Supply
WinFast A170 4xAGP grapics Card
Audigy 2 ZS Soundcard
Maxtor 6B250S0 Diamondmax 10 250GB Serial ATA HD

Once I plugged everything in, i tied to boot up and get into the BIOS and nothig came up onto the screen. The monitor came up with a connection error.

I google'd for some help and it came up with this site. So far, I've tried:

1. Testing graphics card on another machine - grapihcs card worked
2. Boot up with MBo on anit-static bag from box - same error
3. Placed only 1 memory in the B1 slot - failed
4. Boot up without the CPU and 1 memory stick - failed
5. Reset the BIOS and attempted 2,3 and 4 - failed

I think that is all that is mentioned here and other linked articles. I would be grateful for any other suggestions before i consider returning the board and trying again!

Thanks for all the help already posted

Dinesh

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

-Can you list exactly the error message you recieved? Check if your Monitor cable is sungly in the socket and also reseat your Video card. Does the same Monitor/VC combination work on another machine?

-You can't boot up without the CPU. Enuse that the CPU is seated snugly in the socket before depressing the lever. Do not apply too much force.
The only reason you take the CPU out, is for Motherboard diagnostic purposes. When you take out the CPU, leave the CPU Fan connceted and then turn on, you should see the MoBo LED glow. Then you know that the MoBo is powered up.

-Did you try with both RAM modules alternately, in slot B1. This is to make sure both your sticks are good.

-Finally, take everything out except the CPU, CPU Fan, Memory and Video card and then power it up.

Get back here with your results and we shall go from there.

Good Luck!

Update

Thanks for the quick reply

There is no error message up on the screen. As its a new monitor, it comes up whit a lovely picture of a computer, a monitor and a borken cable in the middle :D. The graphics card and monitor combination work on another machine straight off.

The CPU has now been correctly seated onto the board in the right direction. It fitted into the board with no additional force. The fan/heatsink is in place and is plugged into the fan controller marked "CPU fan".

When the power supply is turned on, the MBo light glows.

I have tried each memmory stick and get the same results (see below)

When booting with CPU, fan, memorry and graphics card we get:

when the power switch is pressed, the fan starts turning (both CPU and graphics) and the lights on the graphics card light up. I get no sound from the speaker, no beeps at all :-/ . Also, the PS/2 keyboard that is hooked up does not light up at all when the machine is powered up.

Another update,

just tired the new memory in my old machine and they both worked perfectly. I aslo tried my old memory (not sure of the brand) in the A8V with no effect

UPDATE

Hi all, Happy New Year! Not sure if it's a good thing that I'm not the only one suffering this sort of problem at the moment or not!

I tried SilverFireSE's suggestion, and came up with exactly the same results, although I have notice now that there is no reaction from the graphics card.
To make things worse the powersupply appears to have shorted out now!, so maybe that was the problem? but am in the process of RMAing it.

To answer other points, the Mobo is definetly Rev2.00
The Tagan 480 PSU should power this system no problem due to the huge ampage/wattage available on the 12V line. While looking for an alternative PSU I came across this qn & answer on the scan website, which backs up the conclusion that the PSU should power the graphics card fine. http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=82573

Well, I won't be able to update until I get a new/repaired PSU, but will pick up a cheap graphics card so as to test that possibility.

Thanks again for all the help. Fingers crossed this thing works before the next new year!!

Spacehogster

SUCESS

YES, finally, after searching thorugh all the forums on the net, i have the answer (at least the one for me!!)

The problem seemed to be the keyboard jumper settings. The default (initial) setting were over 2 - 3. I changed this to 1-2 and the machine booted for the first time with no problems. Now to add the other components and see if it still works.
Thanks for the help here and i'll keep you posted on the results!!!!
:D

Then agin

looks like false hope.

The machine booted up outside the case. However, it seems to have died now that it has been screwed in :(. Looks like it could be a grounding issue?

When i tried the case outside the case, it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

*EDIT* When i turned the power supply on when the MBo was in the case, the fans came aliive for about 1/2 a second and then died. Could this be the problem?

Update

Just found out that if you plug a speaker/headphone into the green socket, the board tells you whats wrong. At the momonet, it's reporting "System fails CPU test". Any ideas??

Thanks

I'll be the third to jump in with the same problem. Well basically the same, I'm not seeing the same problem with my fans. The fans all spin up and run and the mobo light comes on but the system will not post. I have tried all the trouble shooting ideas presented here, to no avail. I have since RMA'd the board to Asus. I',ve seen others report the same problems on different forums, I guess its possible that its a batch problem. I disagree with Time's statement about needing a 500w power supply for the 6800gt. My 6800 Ultra ran just fine in my prevoius system, on a 400W PSU. I know nVidia originally spec'd a 480W supply, but they have revised this to 380W. I'll post again when I hear from Asus.

Edit: forgot to mention that my CPU is a 3500+ 130nm, not 90nm

Last edited:
Update

Still no luck :(

I have tried to update the BIOS using EzFlash. I have downloaded the 1008 BIOS and placed it onto a floppy disk under the name "A8V.ROM" I've tried to then press ALT + F2 when botting up (after clearing the CMOS) but the machine still comes up with a "System fails CPU test" message.

I think i'm going to call the outlet tomorrow and see what i should return, the CPU or the board (or even both).

Thanks for the help so far and any other suggestions would be apreciated.

Have a good 2005 everyone

Dinesh

din_the_min said:
Thanks for the quick reply

The CPU has now been correctly seated onto the board in the right direction. It fitted into the board with no additional force. The fan/heatsink is in place and is plugged into the fan controller marked "CPU fan".

What do you mean by correctly seated??
Did you seat it the other way previously? I hope you read the manual before seating the CPU!!!! If you seated it with the triangle poiting the wrong way, you may have killed it.

Back