• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new invention, the RAMFan clip (Inspired by Thermalright)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
I thought I'd share this with everyone, so that others can make this extremely easy fan attachment, for safe, solid, and reliable RAM cooling with a 60mm or 80mm fan.

I had originally fabricated a bracket to mount a 60mm fan above my RAM sticks, but it doesn't fit my new motherboard, due to differently placed RAM slots.

So, I got to brainstorming a solution. I didn't want to use the rubber band mounting method, because rubber bands are flimsy, unreliable, and as such, unsafe. I don't want a rubber band to snap, and result in the death of a bunch of my hardware. Rubber bands also press a fan right up against the RAM sticks, causing them to vibrate, which can't be good.

If you are unfamilier with what I mean by "The Rubber Band Method", read this thread (it also has pics of the bracket I originally made): http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=339018&highlight=RAM

The below picture of my creation speaks for itself, but basically, I have two 'clips' made from a coat hanger, that snap onto either side of the RAM slots. Same idea as "The Rubber Band Method" mentioned above, but sturdier, safer, and more reliable :). The idea was inspired by those fan clips that Thermalright uses on their excellent heatsinks.

All it took for me to make the clips were three coat hangers (my first clip wasn't evenly shaped), a pair of needle nosed pliers, and a wire cutter. The clips and fan fit perfectly on any three-RAM-slot motherboard, and I'm sure it would be easy to make larger/smaller clips for motherboards with more or less RAM slots as well.

Comments?

Attachments

• Ramcooler.jpg
    Ramcooler.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 7,404
Do you slip the wires over the RAM "locking tabs" the same way as the rubber band method?

That is certainly an improvement over the rubber band mod. It is very similar and sort of uses the same idea...do we have patent infrigement issues here???

If you don't understand by "joke", check out the fires that are raging over in the Memory Section.

Do you slip the wires over the RAM "locking tabs" the same way as the rubber band method?

That is certainly an improvement over the rubber band mod. It is very similar and sort of uses the same idea...do we have patent infrigement issues here???

If you don't understand by "joke", check out the fires that are raging over in the Memory Section.

Yes, the wires slip overtop of the DDR RAM Slot locking tabs. It is indeed very similar to the rubber band method, and almost as easy to make :).

As for the patent, I am currently working on getting a "patent pending" status on this. This had better not show up on store shelves, unless it has my name on it ;) :D.

But really, any person with a couple of coat hangers, and a pair of pliers/wire cutters can make their own :).

Can u posta pic w/ it in action?

Sure thing :)

Attachments

• RAMFanClip.jpg
    RAMFanClip.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 6,477
A close-up glamour shot :)

Attachments

• RAMFanClip 2.JPG
    RAMFanClip 2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 6,476
nice mod. man i was trying to find a way to do this myself. Thx for coming up with it for me.

Good idea. Did you get a higher oc at all?

I'm not really sure if this has improved my memory overclock at all, as I only started pushing for a >250 MHz FSB, and only started using 3.6V+ of VDIMM, after installing the fan and clips.

However, the memory sticks are now cool to the touch, where they were burning hot before. The RAM fan gives me peace of mind, if no proof of an overclock gain :). Because of the fan, I'm no longer at all concerned about plastering my RAM with 3.7V, let's leave it at that :) ;).

nice mod. man i was trying to find a way to do this myself. Thx for coming up with it for me.

When you bend your coathanger, be sure to measure everything with a ruler first - I found that marking the coathanger wire with a little scratch where the bends needed to be made really helped to make the whole thing easier to manufacture.

I used an old dead board that I have, to measure the width of three DDR RAM slots, and to get the bend angles and lengths right for a relatively easy, and centered mounting in the end product.

If you use an 80mm fan, you'll probably need to add an extra bend, to accomodate the wider width.

That is very cool original idea!!!

You need to take your idea, drawings, notes, and pics and put them in an envelope and mail them to yourself via registered mail. Then if someone else trys to steal your idea and market it. The postmark on your unopened letter will hold up in court that you had the idea first and can prove it. It is known as a "Poor man's Patent". You may not get rich on the idea but you may make a few bucks on it and keep someone else from maiking money at your expense.

That is very cool original idea!!!

You need to take your idea, drawings, notes, and pics and put them in an envelope and mail them to yourself via registered mail. Then if someone else trys to steal your idea and market it. The postmark on your unopened letter will hold up in court that you had the idea first and can prove it. It is known as a "Poor man's Patent". You may not get rich on the idea but you may make a few bucks on it and keep someone else from maiking money at your expense.

Thanks, I'll mail all of that to myself right away :)

I just need to mail it all to myself before some company mails it to themselves first.... :D

ty felinusz
very nicely done.

Thanks, let us know if it works out for you :)

Last edited:
Very very nice!!

I think I'll test it out using my stock AMD fan to cool my ram.

Edison has nothing on you :D

That looks like a great idea felin, I was going to fabricate a mounting bracket as well for my mobo (proboly close to what you made) so the fan would be placed above the ram and blow vertically across it (the long way) instead of over the ram. However this solution seems to be nice and simple, so I may have to borrow it :D.

You wouldn't take legal action against a fellow Canadian would you :p.

Back