• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Access to a 3d Printer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pro*Banshee

So, anyone have any awesome ideas for things I can make with one of those three-dimensional printers?

At our vocational school, it's one of those rapid prototyping machines that takes a vat of liquid and shoots an ultraviolet laser at it, hardening it layer by layer (a thousandth of a millimeter at a time) and raising the platform to build three dimensional objects.

The only question now is, What to make with it? Keep in mind the plastic is about $4 per solid cubic inch.

hmmm.....could remake some 3D characters (Nemo, predator, etc..) hmm..this is onea those htings id want and want, andonce i have it, id forget what i wanted to make. make some evil gothic cup, or shotglass.....or a 3D O/C forums logo for your rig

dude, i just realized, u could create some new funky guitar pick. u could make a fortune off of it. they have all kindsa weird ones now, take alook around a local music shop

I beleve these things use some kind of starch to make the peices. I have seen some really cool stuff made in these machines. Take a look around some 3d galleries online, you might find something cool. I personally don't have anything that you could make.

make a sweet pair of sun glasses;)

Jon

So the stereo lithographic printer you have access to is the kind that produces Acrylic resin parts? You can make anything you want that will fit within the confines of the machine. Like custom fan grills, case parts, cooling ducts, and pretty much anything else you can imagine wanting. You just need the CAD skills and imagination to make it happen.

There are several kinds of 3D printers. Some print in urethane embedded plaster for ergonomic evaluation models and moulding dies. Some of the newer models print in ABS plastic. And in a year or two there will be a new set of 3D printers that can print in Aluminum, and eventually steel.

I was thinking like a pump housing for one of the numerous high-tourqe, high-rpm DC motors my dad has, or a completley new body for my mouse, maybe a shroud or two.

Only two things I dont have:
-$4 a solid cubic inch for the plastic
-a CAD program to make it in

I saw this in Techtv awhile back(before G4 crap) Any way they made a awsome mug that had a techtv logo on it. You could make a oc mug. SOme how he also made I think it was like a small wrench with moving parts. Any way I owuld make a oc mug, or a like a logo for your case.

I am working on casting some water blocks. This sounds like a great way to do it, Make the mold in the resin and then sand cast a block.

I already have an idea of what I want.
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10973

Do you think this is something you will be able to do? If this works out, does anyone else want to make a block :D

Im very excited about this....Expect an email later on....

make a copy of Darth Vaders helmet! a life size one too, then paint it. then you could wak around and wear it all day long!!!

build your own fan grill. with any logo you want.

make a ninja star ( doubt it would be sharp enough though )

miniature dragon statues, or sword statues ( or a combo of the both )

running out of ideas now. hard to think of something, because you can't have it near to much heat, or it would melt.

Oh man, my dad has tons of cad files of military things. What would be cool is to make all the parts of an m16 out of plastic and put it together. THAT would be wicked.

If this stuff is plastice though could it really survive gun fire. I mean since all they are is a explosion inside a tube so the force is all sent out in one direction. That is a lot of heat. Any way its clear you must have it print you a new graphics card.

Back