• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Promise controller=higher HTT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joor

Registered
Cant get higher than 240x9(also tried x8) HTT atm on my a8v...
Should I use the promise controller if I have only one ide HD?
Dont understand this:

TIP: use the promise ide controller when ocing, the via controller is rumored to get unstable when ocing (not locked?)
if you are using the via controller already and want to switch to the promise controller follow this short guide:
1. Copy the PROMISE SATA drivers to a floppy.
2. Turn off your computer and switch your HDD to the PROMISE controller
3. Turn on goto the BIOS ; Advanced > OnBoard Devices Configuration > Onboard Promise Controller [Enabled] > Operating Mode [IDE]
4. In the BIOSchange Boot priority to CD and exit BIOS
5. Pop in your XP CD and press F6 (look carefully for the message at the bottom of the screen)
6. Pop in your Floppy and let XP copy the PROMISE Drivers.
7. Exit install when asked for.

Last edited:
ahh ok just for SATA..anyway its wierd I can get more than 240 HTT

i have the same problem, i cant get higher then 240 htt no matter what else i do. i can get 240x12 with my cooler but anything higher causes memtest errors.
what are your specs?
i have an fx-53, ocz pc4200 el plat dual channel, and im using U160 scsi off a pci card.

Memtest errors are serious. Run memtest at stock settings. If you still get errors.You need to RMA your RAM.
Try relaxing your timings. What are your current Memory timings?

3-4-4-10 and 2T enable.. tried all vdimm 2.6 2.7 2.8

I think that's as far as your memory can go running 2:1 (DDR400). You need to try 5:3 (DDR333) to operate at higher CPU FSB. Keep VDimm @2.8V.

Last edited:
Back