• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why can't I get there? (OC Newcastle)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lamberth

Registered
attachment.php

I have the exact same CPU than the guy of the picture, only brand id 4 instead of 1 (same revision, family, stepping)...

I have tried 10x230 HTT CPU 1.6v mem 2.7v memlock 166 LDT 3x
and it hangs when loading windows.

It doesn't boot either at 9x240 HTT CPU 1.6v mem 2.7v memlock 166 LDT 3x

What's the problem then? Why does that guy get 10x250!!!!??

Mi rig is:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS nForce3 250
AMD Athlon64 3000+ Newcastle
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
2x512 Kingston PC3200 (2.0-3-3-7-10)
3R RPS400W

Lamberth said:
attachment.php

I have the exact same CPU than the guy of the picture, only brand id 4 instead of 1 (same revision, family, stepping)...

I have tried 10x230 HTT CPU 1.6v mem 2.7v memlock 166 LDT 3x
and it hangs when loading windows.

It doesn't boot either at 9x240 HTT CPU 1.6v mem 2.7v memlock 166 LDT 3x

What's the problem then? Why does that guy get 10x250!!!!??

Mi rig is:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS nForce3 250
AMD Athlon64 3000+ Newcastle
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
2x512 Kingston PC3200 (2.0-3-3-7-10)
3R RPS400W

1. You could have a bad motherboard. Some motherboards overclock worse than others.

2. Keep in mind that the NF3 250 has a flaw that inhibits overclocking past 240 HTT when using nv RAID ports. This is more common on the DFI UT, but the problem does exist.

3. You might want to consider relaxing your timings. Also, just know that some TCCD should work wonders here.

4. What is your power supply? A healthy brand-name psu can make a world of difference in your overclock especially when it comes to HTT.

deception``

2. I don't know if I am using nv raid, I have one S-ATA HD connected.

3. What is TCCD??
Where can I find a guide to relax timmings?

4. My power supply is a 3R RPS400W.
I also have a Geforce 6800GT. Could it be 400w not enoght for all my rig?

Thanks for answering

Whats 12v rating on that powersupply if you know ?. An A64 alone uses alot of 12v power and the 6800GT also only uses 12v power. So upgrading the power supply is an option i would consider.

To relax the timmings just go into youre memory options in the bios its called diff things for each board, but you should see timmings like CAS 2.0 then ras-cas 3 and stuff with a bunch of number like 2-3-3-6 or something. Change youre Cas 2.0 to 2.5, even tho i dont think its needed.

You dont need TCCD ram, really decption not everyone has to buy TCCD all the time. The first thing i would replace is youre powersupply.

Lamberth said:
2. I don't know if I am using nv raid, I have one S-ATA HD connected.

3. What is TCCD??
Where can I find a guide to relax timmings?

4. My power supply is a 3R RPS400W.
I also have a Geforce 6800GT. Could it be 400w not enoght for all my rig?

Thanks for answering

1. Samsung TCCD modules are known to hit very high HTT with fair timings. I'm not exactly sure what type of ram you have (in terms of IC), but know that some nice TCCD will overclock better and be much more compatible with your system.

2. Relaxing timings means increase your current memory timings. If you're trying to hit 240+ HTT at 2-3-3-7 then you're asking too much. Unless you pick up some nice TCCD, you need to be running 2.5 at least probably.

3. The fact that you are running Athlon 64 with a 6800 GT on a 400W power supply might be the problem. I'd strongly suggest that you look into a better power supply like a Fortron 530W at the very least. The 400W might be enough to run stock, but it's going to have a hard time keeping up when you need to overclock.

4. Not a problem with the help. Trust me when I say that we have all been lost at least once. :D

deception``

CandymanCan said:
You dont need TCCD ram, really decption not everyone has to buy TCCD all the time. The first thing i would replace is youre powersupply.

Duly noted. TCCD is simply an option to consider. Nonetheless, the fact that he is running so much off of a 400W is what sticks out in my mind the most; hence, you will find that my post pretty much supports this fact. I agree that the power supply is the absolute first thing to consider in terms of an upgrade.

deception``

Are you using the same cooling as that guy? Also ever cpu is different there not all going to overclock the same and every setup is different also. 90% of the way a computer is ran is in it's operator.

Deception I just wanted to say congrat's on the hard work you have been givin to help people out around here I have seen alot coming from you and all I can say is I'am glad I'a, not having to type most if the stuff you are anymore it's good to see other people doing the stuff you did @ one time.

UNthreadJack/

Jonspd

deception`` said:
Duly noted. TCCD is simply an option to consider. Nonetheless, the fact that he is running so much off of a 400W is what sticks out in my mind the most; hence, you will find that my post pretty much supports this fact. I agree that the power supply is the absolute first thing to consider in terms of an upgrade.

deception``

Yea its an Option to consider, but i would consider it after a powersupply change. The money involved in getting 1gb of that stuff is pretty high. I always say start small then go up. :thup:

You know like me and Decept said change youre memory timmings mainly the CAS from 2. to 2.5, then if you can raise the memory voltage more.

Last edited:
Yoy guys are the best! This is an amazing forum!! Thanks for answering so fast!

1. In the bios I have the Memory Max Freq set to 166Mhz, so at 9x240 it should be mem=196 Mhz < 200. And my memory is CL2.5 (2.5 @ 200, 2.0 @ 166)
Have I got to relax timmings anyway?

2. In the PSU label says
+3.3V: 35 A
+5V : 40 A
+12V: 18 A
-5V : 0.5 A
-12V : 0.8 A
5Vsb: 2 A

Thanks

jonspd said:
Are you using the same cooling as that guy? Also ever cpu is different there not all going to overclock the same and every setup is different also. 90% of the way a computer is ran is in it's operator.

Deception I just wanted to say congrat's on the hard work you have been givin to help people out around here I have seen alot coming from you and all I can say is I'am glad I'a, not having to type most if the stuff you are anymore it's good to see other people doing the stuff you did @ one time.

UNthreadJack/

Jonspd

Thanks. I don't really think I am doing anything special. Rather, I'm just here to spread the wealth (knowledge).

deception``

Lamberth said:
Yoy guys are the best! This is an amazing forum!! Thanks for answering so fast!

1. In the bios I have the Memory Max Freq set to 166Mhz, so at 9x240 it should be mem=196 Mhz < 200. And my memory is CL2.5 (2.5 @ 200, 2.0 @ 166)
Have I got to relax timmings anyway?

2. In the PSU label says
+3.3V: 35 A
+5V : 40 A
+12V: 18 A
-5V : 0.5 A
-12V : 0.8 A
5Vsb: 2 A

Thanks

If you're memory is default Cas 2.5, run it at at least 200 Mhz. Try timings 2.5-3-3-8 for starters.

Also, your +12 volt is somewhat low. It is recommended that you have at least 24A on the +12 volt for stock usage, and over 30A if you plan on overclocking. Add in the fact that you have a power-hungry 6800 GT, and it is apparent that you need a new power supply more than anything. I advise that you pick up a nice Fortron 530W, then see how high you can take your HTT.

deception``

Your board should have came with a system monitoring program I think. Check the cd that came with your motherboard.

Ok. gonna read now. In two hours I will post results.
BTW CandymanCan, I have the EXACT CPU as you have. Same revision, sttepping, family, brand id. All is exact. I have seen a picture of your CPU-Z results.
Thanks a lot

I cant read it but CPU-Z gives exactly the same information than yours.
The read of the MBM on idle for +12v is 11.52v
and the max +12v is 11.58v
Is this the info you asked?

Lamberth said:
I cant read it but CPU-Z gives exactly the same information than yours.
The read of the MBM on idle for +12v is 11.52v
and the max +12v is 11.58v
Is this the info you asked?

Your +12 volt should be NO LESS THAN 11.6 at any given time and even that is based on a worst case scenario. It is obvious here that your power supply is the culprit. All the more reason for you to look into that Fortron 530W. Of course, software readings are not always 100% accurate, but I still put my money on the power supply.

deception``

Back