• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking ASUS A8V... SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xatrix

Registered
So I read on Anand that you cannot oc the FSB if you have a SATA drive as it will corrupt the drive... is this true?

Thanks...

new to the forum but Im sure I will be posting here more soon!!!

Welcome to the forum!

I have heard about it. SATA won't work well if overclocking in ports 1/2. If you move connections to 3/4, you will be fine.

My HDD is on the Promise controller (Red sockets) and I have absolutely no problems OC'ing. Haven't tried the VIA but I've heard you can have problems with the VIA controller. Also the VIA (Raid ?) corruption issue was with the 1.02 boards. I guess thats been fixed in the Rev 2.00 boards.

I think I may be having a problem like this. I have one SATA Raptor using the VIA controller. NO RAID. If I overclock to 205 I don't have any problems. When I get to 210 my hard drive starts to get really fragmented. If I don't keep an eye on it, the fragmentation will get so bad the computer will hang and crash on occasion.

So is there a way I can move my drive from the VIA controller to the Promise controller without having to format and reload? The reason I'm asking is because we have to load the SATA controller drivers before the drive is even recognized.

I haven't tried this but these 2 methods but they look safe:-

1.Boot with your windows CD and press F6. Load the Promise SATA and exit without doing anything (after the RAM disk is loaded etc etc..). Now enable the Promise controller in the BIOS and set it to IDE mode. Should boot up fine.

2.Follow the same procedure as 1. only this time select the REPAIR windows XP option. Nothing will be overwritten. You are basically fooling XP into believing your MBR has been corrupted. This should work.

I repeat I have not tried these methods and you may want to check in the Windows OS section first asto what happens when you do a REPAIR XP thing.

Good Luck!

Number 2 sounds easiest. I work for a computer company and have done many repairs. They work surprisingly well in alot of cases. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Now is there a way to disable the VIA controller from checking itself on POST?

You have to change it in the BIOS. Look in the BIOS in this order Advanced --> System Devices and Configuration-->OnChipSATA BootROM [select DISABLED]
--> Onboard Promise Controller [Enabled], [IDE MOde].

good luck!

Hi all, I'm sorry to bring up this acient topic, but I'm experiencing the same problem! I can't OC, because I've got 2 SATA drive...

Super Nade said:
--> Onboard Promise Controller [Enabled], [IDE MOde].

I'dont have this option on the bios. I'm very confused: how can this MOBO have 2 different RAID controller?!? I've a Asus A8V

Last edited:
Damn! I found the problem! The Promise controller is for Deluxe only! I have A8V non-deluxe!!

ARGH!!!!! Do you have any good solution or have I to sell my brand new SATAs and switch back to IDE??

Last edited:
being as ATA(ide) are being phased out as far as i know. i certainly wouldn't.
but then again if you plan on leaving those harddrives in your computer and never putting them into a new upgrade computer, then by all means.

by the way im having issues with getting the SATA drives even recognized by the a8v deluxe board. right now the OS is on an IDE/ATA. they are maxtor 250gigs, can anyone help me out? the thread is here

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=462841

i read through the a8v sticky by supernade, also tried what he suggested here. cant seem to get them to get recognised by windows.

is there a harddrive start delay function in the bios? i cant find it

Hi, you can OC with the onboard VIA. Just set your agp/pci lock to 66/33 in the BIOS.

But I have a problem that maybe some of you guys can help me with:

When I OC anything higher than 2.35GHz my RAID 0 config slows down to 56MB per sec, but at 2.34GHz its at 100MB per sec. Any solutions?

Specs:

Chenming ATX-602 Case

Skyhawk 470 Watt Modular PSU

ASUS A8V Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz Venice 939 @ 2.34GHz - Arctic Freezer Cooling

Corsair TWINX XMS 512*2 DDR400 CAS 2 @ DDR520

2x Hitachi Deskstar 80GB 7200RPM SATA2 in Raid 0

Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB 7200RPM SATA - On a Maxtor PCI Controller

ATi Radeon X800XTPE 256MB 256Bit VIVO @ 560/1120.5 - Zalman Cooling

Samsung SH-R522C/BEBN CD-RW Burner

NEC-3500a DVD-RW Burner

Back