• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Ultimate Winchester Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sentential said:
w00t.... btw do NOT order the 3700EB. There is much better **** available now. EB is not good to use with an A64

EB is fine for an A64, but Samsung TCCD is much better. Also, 2GB of ram is a little excessive. Unless you're into heavy content creation (which I assumed you'd have a P4 for) stick to 1GB. Your wallet will thank you. :D

deception``

have been quiet for a bit now testing my rig. have a couple comments.

Sen -

Are you running 1.36beta? If so, I can go up to 1.7 -~1.8V with it.. Possibly trying setting your Cpu Vid manually to 1.4, and then use the percent to get more. Also, you can only enable or disable Spread Spectrum while the FSB is set to 200 or 205 but it only opens up on those FSBs. Once you are able to set it, you can change it to what you want, and it stays that way no matter what FSB. Make sure your AGP is set to 67. If it isn't, the PCI is not truely locked, and you will run into problems. Once I hit 295, I was forced to change that.

It appears this board doesn't like Hynix memory at anything other than 1:1. 1:1 it will push it for all it's got, but things get quirky fast when you go to 5:6 or 2:3 or 1:2.

Currently I am at work and my machine is priming at [email protected]. The CPU tops out between 2.65ghz and [email protected]. But finding the nice balance with my memory is what I am trying to do. My rails on my PS are hurting bad (12V is 11.5 right now) and my new Fortron 530 comes in today, so I will see if that helps me.

Glad to see you got your system rocking. That 3Dmark01 score is outstanding.

I am going to try the paste trick as well. my core gets up to 56 once in a while, and I don't like that. I applied it all over the top like you did, so maybe that will buy me 1 or 2C.

Good luck!
John

Red02TA said:
have been quiet for a bit now testing my rig. have a couple comments.

Sen -

Currently I am at work and my machine is priming at [email protected]. The CPU tops out between 2.65ghz and [email protected]. But finding the nice balance with my memory is what I am trying to do. My rails on my PS are hurting bad (12V is 11.5 right now) and my new Fortron 530 comes in today, so I will see if that helps me.Good luck!
John
Thanks a bunch.... that looks almost exactally like mine. The highest stable I have with 10% (1.52) seems to be about 256x10. Now that i know how to use higher vcore, Ill push it to 1.60v (no higher!) and shoot for 260-263x10

deception`` said:
EB is fine for an A64, but Samsung TCCD is much better. Also, 2GB of ram is a little excessive. Unless you're into heavy content creation (which I assumed you'd have a P4 for) stick to 1GB. Your wallet will thank you. :D

deception``
Micron has density / accessing issues. It is not a good RAM for A64s. Not by any stretch. The best seems to be very low desnity RAM like Crucial Ballistix (new micron), TCCD, and especially hynix. I also agree that 2GB is excessive, but Micron as a whole is pure crap. Especially with the heat output it has

Red - I thought AGP/PCI lock is 66, not 67. Maybe thats why mine fails prime within 2min of testing at 2.6

I wonder if the AS5 trick with will work with a watercooling system. Im running low on AS5 and I dont want to pull it off if I dont have enough to re-apply.

Sen - what multi are you using? 10 or 9 ? Are you also running with Speed Spectrum enabled?

Sentential said:
Thanks a bunch.... that looks almost exactally like mine. The highest stable I have with 10% (1.52) seems to be about 256x10. Now that i know how to use higher vcore, Ill push it to 1.60v (no higher!) and shoot for 260-263x10

I don't think you will have a problem! Give her hell! At 1.5xV(10%) mines starts to struggle around 2500-2600 range as well. Bumping up to 1.6xV(13%) gets me good to about 2650 or so if I recall.

John

Osirus said:
Red - I thought AGP/PCI lock is 66, not 67. Maybe thats why mine fails prime within 2min of testing at 2.6

I wonder if the AS5 trick with will work with a watercooling system. Im running low on AS5 and I dont want to pull it off if I dont have enough to re-apply.

Sen - what multi are you using? 10 or 9 ? Are you also running with Speed Spectrum enabled?

Well sometimes people have problems with the AGP/PCI locks even on the Nforce 3 boards, i do sometimes so everyone who has these problems sets to the AGP speed to 67mhz to make sure the locks stay in place. Maybe MSI did this in thier bios or something ?

Red02TA said:
I don't think you will have a problem! Give her hell! At 1.5xV(10%) mines starts to struggle around 2500-2600 range as well. Bumping up to 1.6xV(13%) gets me good to about 2650 or so if I recall.

John

Wow if sen gets the same results then maybe the problem the NC'S have where raising the voltage doesnt help is solved on these cpu's because of the 90nm proccess

Osirus said:

I was failing prime unexpectedly also. Set the AGP to 67 and the memory to -8 instead of -11, and all cleared up. Didn't start having this issue until 9X290 or so. Once I hit 300, it would not boot anymore until I did it. Once I changed it, I ran up to 8X335.

I read some of this on the MSI forums. It appears the 754 version of the K8N suffered from this until the most recent bios. That is also where I heard about the massive hynix memory problems, but so far I have not found a fix for that.

John

Now I have a quick question. I realize that you can use ratios on the A64, but when you say you're running 9*335, does that mean that your using a divider to run your ram at (?) I'm still a little confused about how the HTT and everything works. I'm betting that when I finally get an A64 it will make sense, but reading it just doesn't seem to answer my questions.

Well its just like any other divider for the Athlon xp's, 1:1 3:4 5:4 ect ect, Whatever you set youre HTT Speed 2 which is the cpu's FSB is what youre ram will run @ using the 1:1 ratio, or in the bios its called 200mhz or 166 or 133 or 100. All those are ratios 200 is 1:1 and so on going down.

If someone can run 335HTT with the ram @ 200mhz or 1:1 ratio then they must have like pc4500 ram or something.

Like me for exsample I can run 278HTT using 200mhz or 1:1 ratio with my ram so the ram is running @ 278MHZ, (MHZ is a term used by A64's now, thier is no FSB on these cpu's.) I ust say FSB to make it easier for other to understand.

Also the HTT speed is what gives youre cpu bus speed. So if youre running 335HTT, and you have the HTT multiplyer in the bios set to say 4xHTT, then 335x4=1340mhzx2=2680mhz Bus speed

enduro said:
Now I have a quick question. I realize that you can use ratios on the A64, but when you say you're running 9*335, does that mean that your using a divider to run your ram at (?) I'm still a little confused about how the HTT and everything works. I'm betting that when I finally get an A64 it will make sense, but reading it just doesn't seem to answer my questions.

8*335.. I wish I could run 9*335. And yes, that was with a divider. But it was with a divider of 1:2. Meaning my memory was running at 160fsb or something crazy. Anything higher(2:3 or 5:6), and my system wouldn't boot, which is related to the hynix issues. I can trick my system into liking the hynix if I utilize the half multipliers. 8.5*305 works great at 166:200(5:6). Now, trying to figure out what my memory is really running at with 8.5 multiplier is a challenge in itself. I get 33-34 sec 1M PI's, so I would guess in the 240-260 range. Once again. just trying to deal with the hynix and this board with the ratios. Once I get it all figured out I will post up.

John

I guess i will give the Ballistic a look c then....as far as the 2gb i will be doing some pretty heavy solidworks stuff and 1 gb just cant handle it...maybe i will make a nice duly box to run solidworks on...idk only the wallet will tell lol

CandymanCan said:
If someone can run 335HTT with the ram @ 200mhz or 1:1 ratio then they must have like pc4500 ram or something

335 HTT with memory set at 200 would be DDR 670.. I have never seen those speeds out of any type of ram.

Yeai know but im sure pc4500 could oc to those speeds, cuss iv seen pc4000 get to DDR 600 and little above that

Red02TA said:
8*335.. I wish I could run 9*335. And yes, that was with a divider. But it was with a divider of 1:2. Meaning my memory was running at 160fsb or something crazy. Anything higher(2:3 or 5:6), and my system wouldn't boot, which is related to the hynix issues. I can trick my system into liking the hynix if I utilize the half multipliers. 8.5*305 works great at 166:200(5:6). Now, trying to figure out what my memory is really running at with 8.5 multiplier is a challenge in itself. I get 33-34 sec 1M PI's, so I would guess in the 240-260 range. Once again. just trying to deal with the hynix and this board with the ratios. Once I get it all figured out I will post up.

John

Run youre ram 2 240-260 then and see what ur super Pi score is, if using Half multies is the only way you can run youre ram on the board then i guess it wont hurt to run the half but i hope u know running Half multies isnt such a good idea. I would try and find some new ram.

Dukemurmur said:
I guess i will give the Ballistic a look c then....as far as the 2gb i will be doing some pretty heavy solidworks stuff and 1 gb just cant handle it...maybe i will make a nice duly box to run solidworks on...idk only the wallet will tell lol

Hey i totally agree with you heck even some Video games if youre gammer like me are using more then 1gb ofm emory when you turn the details to thier max and use high resolutions, Or Planetside which has tons of peoplep laying it can use over 1gb of memory. IM starting to think about getting a 256mb pc4200 stick to go with my 1gb, cuss im experiancing some loading times when i exit the games like D3 and the big one is planetside sometimes it takes about 15-20 seconds after playing all night to gather all my mem up again. Its starting to feal like the days where 512mb was alot of ram but was pushing it in newer things

Last edited:
CandymanCan said:
Run youre ram 2 240-260 then and see what ur super Pi score is, if using Half multies is the only way you can run youre ram on the board then i guess it wont hurt to run the half but i hope u know running Half multies isnt such a good idea. I would try and find some new ram.

Thanks for the response. I have been looking for something that actually tells me the exact reason why running .5 multi's is bad, but I can't find it.

Could you point me in the direction of something that spells out the penalties?

Thanks!
John

The reason is because the Athlon 64's dont have Half Multies built in them, so when youre using those kind of Multies that is the reason why the ram runs lower then its actually reported as. Thats why its a bad idea to use them.

If it were me having my ram being said its running @ say 260mhz, but its actually running @ 220 or something is stupid. But hey if you dont mind this then go for it, i also heard it hurts peformance im not 100% sure tho

Red we need to talk. My Winchester is acting up someting fierce. What are your temps? Im begining to think its heat related :(. Re-updating sig :(

Sentential said:
Red we need to talk. My Winchester is acting up someting fierce. What are your temps? Im begining to think its heat related :(. Re-updating sig :(

PM Sent. Be glad to help however I can. I have a meeting starting shortly so we can just keep it to PMs.

Red02TA said:
Damn I wish I had read this before I got my board. 2 hours of my life would have been saved last night from trying to figure this out on my own. My results were EXACTLY like his.

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=616

Anyone with a neo2 needs to read that.

Uhoh i read the whole thing and this doesnt sound good, Aparently the usuall thing where the fsb is actually lower then being reported when using Half multies is actually higher then being reported on this board.. Thats bad.

But really this guy should already know that half multies arent supported.

Back