• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No post after BIOS update NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

A friend of mine just recieved his nf7 and just recently tried to update his bios to the latest Abit version, hes new to oc'ing so he's not going to jump into the modded ones yet. Well, after updating he cant boot at all, the only thing that happens is that his fans power up but thats it. I dont have this board yet, mine will be here Monday, so I cant help him out too well. He said that he used the GUI version of the updater (awe.exe or something like that), and when I recommended that he use the DOS version he said he wasnt able to get it to work. Last night he took the battery out, unplugged all of the ps leads, undid some jumper that is on the board for resetting the bios, and went so far as to unplug the ps from the wall, all to no avail. Do you guys know of any fix for this situation. He just received this board after sending back Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 for problems with its bios. Hes not to happy with the boards that he has been getting from newegg, needless to say. Thats not to say that there may have been some user actions that werent kosher. Wadda think?

Bad flash IMHO. Try getting an auto flasher disc, iirc these can flash the bios if the boot block sector is there/in one piece.
If not, then the only option would be to hotflash/ flash via a bios saviour.

How do you go about hotflashing something or using a bios savior? Honestly I dont know what either of these apps are. And where do I get an autoflashing disk? Thanks for the response.

Just tell him to wait a day so you can hotflash from your board.

Linkage.

You should be able to recover his bios chip, and make everything happy again.

BTW, the in Windows bios flashing utility (Abit Flash Menu) is actually the recommended way of flashing. I've changed my bios 3 or 4 times, and I used Flash Menu each time successfully.

Well, come to find out he, after a little cohersion, he used the wrong bios mobo version(1.0/1.2) to update his board(rev2.0). I told him to read before he starts doing crap to his puter. Anyways, hot flashing should still work right? I read up on it and it seems like a simple enough procedure, but what is the DOS utility for flashing, because according to instructions thats what you need to use. Im almost tempted to tell him to order a savior chip instead of using mine, but thats what friends are for, for good times, and bad.....sorry. Anyways, thats for the links guys and my buddy says thanks also.

Anyways, hot flashing should still work right?
Yep. I did the same thing in a fit of rage once, Im still running.

I read up on it and it seems like a simple enough procedure, but what is the DOS utility for flashing, because according to instructions thats what you need to use. Im almost tempted to tell him to order a savior chip instead of using mine
Thats your call, but it is really easy if you have an IC extracter. If you dont have one, get the kit.

Well guys, I DID IT. Got my board intoday and instead of usually prepping it for myself I got to take it apart. We tried to do it off off my motherboard first but it wouldnt boot. I had a stick of ram, ps, floppy, and a keyboard and with those devices it should post at the least and it didnt. So we took out my chip and put it in his and booted it up which of course it did, then I took out my chip put his in and flashed it. Rebooted and set it to stock speed for a m2400 13.5*133=1800. He was just happy that it was running, so he'll start ocing soon. Im just glad it worked. Thanks SOOOOOO much for all of the help that you guys gave me. Now I know why I stick around here and bragg about the site all of the time. Just wondering why mine didnt boot. You dont think it wanted a cpu in it do ya? Well find out soon when I transfer systems.

Back