• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

90nm Athlon 64 Socket 939 Winchesters are here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes.. well... it's been said before and it should be said whenever we get a chance to say it:

Shop at reliable newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com

whenever you can

or you'll find out the hard way why you should... :)

Yep... I thought this would happen. Monarch did the same thing with the Sempron 3100+ - they had preorder available with an ETA that changed whenever the ship date came around and they didn't have any stock.

Has there been any review on the 90nm 939 pin cpus? It was suppose to be a bit faster than its rating from a website I read from.

No reviews yet, what do you mean reviews, there aren't any reviews for what we're looking for. It's people that post at the forums that we rely on for overclocking reviews :)

But I think we should take note of what Shade00 said:

Monarch Computer has a history of deceiving us by getting us to place orders with arbitrary dates that get moved and moved until the product arrives to every major web store anyway.

Last edited:
Well I dont know why you assume that just becuase the date got pushed back.

In fact, Earlier today it said they had them instock and taking orders first come first serve basis, nothing about the 28th like it is now. which leads me to believe that they got some in, but nto a full order, just enough to satisfy some of the preorders and werent able to fill all of the demand. its happend before. in fact ive bought pre order from monarch before and thats happened, although it wasnt for a cpu. i say just wait to hear form someoen that actually pre orderd it.

Update on 90nm orders from Monarch

Update...this is my order status, probably the same as the others. I did call Monarch tomight and they said they expected to have the CPUs to ship, but they haven't arrived yet. I did ask if they had any additional information/specs on the CPUs and they don't. Due to agreements with AMD, they couldn't release anything not available on the web yet.

Uhhh, well I bought something, but ain't sure what yet.

Order Status

Your order has been submitted to the warehouse for processing. Shipping from this point typically takes 1-2 business days after the order has been approved. Our shipping system will automatically email you your tracking number when your order has been shipped.

If the website notes extended lead times for any of the items you purchased such as pre-order items, please be aware that the order will take the noted amount of time to ship rather than 1-2 days.

If you ordered a barebone configuration or complete system then your order will take longer to process due to the assembly and testing of your barebone or system. Barebone configurations take 3-4 days to properly assemble and test. Motherboard combos take 1-3 days. For complete custom computer systems please allow 8-13 business days unless otherwise notated on the website.

Questions or comments regarding this order should be directed to [email protected] with your order number in the subject line.

once you guys start recieving them, id like to know:

1. how does it overclock, did it hit 3GHz and what volts did it take?
2. did you have any trouble getting it to work on todays s939 nf3 mobos? did a bios flash help any? did you need to mod your mobo?
3. hows the performance, especially in 3dmark 2001

Overclocker550 said:
once you guys start recieving them, id like to know:

1. how does it overclock, did it hit 3GHz and what volts did it take?
2. did you have any trouble getting it to work on todays s939 nf3 mobos? did a bios flash help any? did you need to mod your mobo?
3. hows the performance, especially in 3dmark 2001

Haha.

Many 939 mobos already have BIOS updates that allow the chips to work properly. Just look for a BIOS that adds rev. D support.

Shade00 said:
Actually, the extra cache helps just as much as extra bandwidth in encoding. Hardocp's review of the first 939 chips pits the 3700+ against the 3800+, the 3500+, and the FX-53. Despite being single channel, it keeps up with the 3800+ because of its extra cache.
Depends which review you read - Anandtech has an entirely different slant in their review!

Shade00 said:
At stock the 3400+ will beat the 939 chip despite any optimizations to the new core. It's got a 400mhz advantage over the 939 3200+.

It may or not overclock better. If I were you, I would probably stick with the 3400+, as you'll almost definitely be able to hit 2.6ghz on air.

Ill be more than happy if i can get 2.4-2.5GHz out of a s939 a64 3000 with an XP120 and a 120mm 58CFM SilenX Fan.

Thats just me...

PhobMX said:
Ill be more than happy if i can get 2.4-2.5GHz out of a s939 a64 3000 with an XP120 and a 120mm 58CFM SilenX Fan.

Thats just me...

That should be no problem. The question is how much higher than that they'll be able to go. Current CGs are able to hit 2.6ghz on air - a few can even hit 2.7.

I just ordered an XP-90 and a new power supply to see if I can pump this Sempron up some more.

The story of Monarch getting limited suplies and then running out is simply not true. You know these chips have not showed up at newegg yet at all.

When they do show up the first time, Winchester will show up as a searchable term under newegg CPUs. If they sell out, you'll get an Out of Stock message indicating that "it was once in stock"

I sincerely believe newegg will get the very first batch of these at the same time or ahead of Monarch but with Newegg you WILL get them in two to four business days, (depending where you live in the US), for sure.

zipzoomfly has the same reliable 2-4 day delivery record but you may get the actual UPS/FedEx tracking number emailed to you a little later than you would from newegg.

I agree. You can't go wrong when you stick with Newegg. I don't think it's really fair to blame Monarch, though. They shouldn't do the whole preorder/ETA thing, but that's another argument entirely.

Shade00 said:
Haha.

Many 939 mobos already have BIOS updates that allow the chips to work properly. Just look for a BIOS that adds rev. D support.

what if yours doesnt have the latest bios and you insert the winchester, will it not post? how does one get into windows to flash then, what if he doesnt want to buy a newcastle or rma the mobo just for that? as for overclocking, some may be happy with 2.5GHz(for winchester too), I would be if I didnt already have a newcastle faster than that haha. No point in anyone who already has a fast a64 getting winchester unless winchester is alot faster

my order status is the same, i ordered an epox board and nc from monarch and they shipped on the date they promised. *shrug* no bad experience with them as of yet.

Yeah but you would have to increase voltage for 130nm to reach the same speeds as 90nm can at default voltage.

So 130nm with increased voltage will be hotter than 90nm at default voltage and so on...

Overclocker550 said:
what if yours doesnt have the latest bios and you insert the winchester, will it not post? how does one get into windows to flash then, what if he doesnt want to buy a newcastle or rma the mobo just for that? as for overclocking, some may be happy with 2.5GHz(for winchester too), I would be if I didnt already have a newcastle faster than that haha. No point in anyone who already has a fast a64 getting winchester unless winchester is alot faster

I guess it really depends on the motherboard. Most should have no problems booting up. Some may identify the chips incorrectly; others may not POST.

Go look at the link two posts up from this one. Guess what the comparison shows? Winchester isn't any faster clock-per-clock.

c627627 said:
Yeah but you would have to increase voltage for 130nm to reach the same speeds as 90nm can at default voltage.

So 130nm with increased voltage will be hotter than 90nm at default voltage and so on...

Unfortunately there's no proof of that yet. :-/

Back