• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

90nm Athlon 64 Socket 939 Winchesters are here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
in the future, in the future, lol
i realy doubt that we will still have 200 dollor mobo's, even for the SLI ones, most likely something like 180 or less. and the CPU, 200, is only going to drop in price, basicly what i am saying, is that we will be in posistion for a great system come christmas, and dont tell me that they wont have uber good christmas deals, i have seen some awsome ones in my time, and i am willing to bet that Nvidia, if they are smart, will have a great combo deal and whatnot (well not exactly Nvidia themselves, but all teh Board makers) and it will be easier to get the items, and at a better deal

and i wouldnt be suprised that we will be able to buy vidcards in a SLI pack, get 2 of them, say 6800GT's and instead of being 800 bucks, be about 600, yeah i know ITS NOT CHEAP, but hopefuly you guys get what i am talking about, that we are in for some great deals, especialy considering the luanch season

Man this always happens to me. I finally upgrade and then something even better for the same price comes out like a week later :(. Hopefully this doesn't happen when I upgrade my graphics card :p.

grrrrrr if there isnt any mobo with agp for 90nm then im sticking with my newcastle for a while yet. also I am hearing some say winchesters will run in some of todays mobos that currently support newcastles. I may upgrade my cpu instead of getting a 9800 pro or 6600gt and be left out when agp dies out

The MSI K8n Neo2 socket 939 motherboard is out already, it is compatible with the new 90 nm cpu's, so you don't have anything to worry about.

Overclocker550 said:
grrrrrr if there isnt any mobo with agp for 90nm then im sticking with my newcastle for a while yet. also I am hearing some say winchesters will run in some of todays mobos that currently support newcastles. I may upgrade my cpu instead of getting a 9800 pro or 6600gt and be left out when agp dies out

Umm... the 90nm CPUs are socket 939. Meaning they'll work in any 939 motherboard.

good then those nf4 can shove it where the sun dont shine, agp is still far from dead! not many nf4 mobos will sell for a while

I'll be getting an nforce 4 pci-e athlon 64 system in a few weeks, and pending on how SLI turns out, things should be intresting.

Shade00 said:
Umm... the 90nm CPUs are socket 939. Meaning they'll work in any 939 motherboard.

exactly, it should be like the pally->tbred/barton switch for the XP's, a new bios may be needed, but all current (and probably near-future) hammer boards should be able to support 90nm.

i thought ii heard somewhere that the kt890 may have both pci-e and agp. dont know how true that is though. i know at least one lga775 board (the gigabyte maybe? i dont pay much attention to intel stuff) has a pci-e/agp bridge, and has both ports available for use (probably not both at the same time though). even if bridging like that does hurt theoretical performance on the agp side, it shouldnt really be that bad with a fast enough card, and would still allow an eventual upgrade to a pci-e card for those of us who just got 9800's/x800's/6800's/etc who want the newest cpu's but cant afford a whole new system at once.

currently not right now, but if DFI hurries up, they will have a realy good board for S939
but i want to know if DFI is holding out becuase they are going with NF4

Overclocker550 said:
and which ones are the best of the choices? I was told theres no good s939 mobos

You should stop believing everything you hear.

The A8V is a top-notch board. The MSI Via is also supposed to be pretty good.

As for Nf3, the Gigabyte and MSI boards are both good. The Giga is a bit too expensive, though.

Instead of taking someone's word that they're all garbage, do a little research.

abit a8v? your saying via mobos for s939 are good? gonna be hard to get high fsb without 100% working pci/agp locks! any s939 mobos that feed off the 5v for vdimm and arent subject to vdimm volt spikes? also is that sempron of yours really faster than the previous claw or castle you had? whats your best 3dmark2001

Overclocker550 said:
abit a8v? your saying via mobos for s939 are good? gonna be hard to get high fsb without 100% working pci/agp locks! any s939 mobos that feed off the 5v for vdimm and arent subject to vdimm volt spikes? also is that sempron of yours really faster than the previous claw or castle you had? whats your best 3dmark2001

Just like I said before. Do your research. Please.

The A8V is not an Abit board. It's an Asus. The Abit is the AV8. Abit's BIOSes are flaky so far, but Rev. 1.1 boards are reported to have working PCI/AGP locks.

And yes, I am saying that some Via 939 boards are good. The Asus A8V is excellent. Rev. 2.0 (the version without WiFi) is a great board.

I've gotten the highest O/C of any 754 chip I've owned with this Sempron. None of my 512k chips hit above 2.3ghz, and my mobile CH was limited by the board. So I'm selling the mobile and keeping this chip. It has more in it, but I'll need a new power supply to crank it some more. I know it's not as fast as a Clawhammer, but it's not slow by any means. Oh, and I can't tell you my highest 3dmark2k1 because my 5700 died and it'll be a few days before I get another one. I can tell, though, that I don't notice any difference between this chip and my previous chips in games - where its performance really matters. No difference. Whatsoever.

Last edited:
Overclocker550 said:
nf4 is useless for those with agp cards like us grrrrrrrr

You were so happy about the x700xt's performance the other day. You've been so excited about getting one. Guess what? You'll need PCI-E to get one. Nforce4 is the ticket.

whats the fun of pci-e if I cant get to use my other 10 agp cards sitting around? no thanks to pci-e for a while yet. I will wait and see how others are ocing their winchesters before deciding my own move

Back