• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner Linux Install Guides, FAQ and Link List...New Linux Users Please READ!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Beginner Linux Install Guides, FAQ and Link List...New Linux Users Please READ! V2.0

Welcome to the Linux install guide sticky. This is a collection of install guides that will help you get a working linux desktop on the distro of your choice. I will also include vital stats like boot times, disk usage, compatibility, and hardware detection for each distribution. The information is formatted as follows:title of distribution, link to home of distribution, install guide, vital stats, comments/final thoughts. At the end of the install guides there wil be a link list of any distributions I missed/did not have time to go over and support/documentation/other info related to Linux. I used what I consider to be a reasonable and standard system configuration to do all the testing.

Test system specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2500, 512DDR PC2700, 80GB WD 7200 RPM 8MB cache, Plextor 40x12x40 CD-RW, Geforce 3 TI200 64MB, MSI KT3 Ultra 2.

This thread covers the following distibutions:
Mandrake 10.1
Fedora Core 3
Knoppix 3.7
Suse 9.1
Debian
Gentoo
Ubuntu
Slackware

NOTE: I'm currently doing the new installs and updating as each install completes. Please be patient if something is a little screwy :) Thank you.

Last edited:
[size=+1]Yoper linux V.2.0-20070701[/size]

Yoper-http://www.yoper.com/

First up is one of the local favorites, Yoper. Your Operating system-New commer to the linux distributions. VERY fast and straight forward install process. Yoper is similar to debian in that it uses the apt-get system to install preomptimized programs. The entire OS is optimized for modern systems which is what makes it so fast. Though it works awesome the repository of programs available for Yoper through the apt-get system is rather limited so far so you may be building some software from source anyway. Yoper also supports RPM packages. Hardware detection works great as well, and on that note ATI 3D acceleration works with it! This makes Yoper a GREAT next step beyong Mandrake or Red Hat/Fedora for someone looking for a faster and less bloated OS.

Install Guide:
1. Download and burn the ISO image to a CD and boot from it.
2. You will be greeted by a semi-evil looking penguin and a boot prompt. Hit enter to start the boot process.
3. You will be brought to a command line. Type yoper yoper to start the installer.
4. You will be shown a disclaimer that Yoper comes with no warranty. Choose yes to continue.
5. You will be asked if you want to check the integrity of the install discs. This is up to you.
6. You will be asked what hard drive you wish to install to. Use space bar to select the drive and hit ok.
7. You will be told the capacity of the drive you are installing to and the installer will recommend the size of the partitions and it will start cfdisk.
8. Use cfdisk to modify/create partitions as necessary. Example layout. When you're done select write. Type yes. When it's done select quit.
9. You will be prompted to select a swap partition, Do so.
10. You will be prompted to select a root partition, Do so
11. You will be prompted to choose between "Ydesktop" which is a basic installation using the KDE desktop. The other option "Ycore" will give you a working command line and you can do as you need from there later.
12. You will be asked what filesystem you want to use. I chose reiserfs.
13. You be warned that formatting will erase all information. Hit y and enter to continue.
14. The installer will begin copying files to the hard drive which will take 5-15 minutes.
15. You will then be prompted if you would like to setup the network. Choose yes.
16. You will be asked if you want to use DHCP for your networking. I do so I chose yes.
17. You will be prompted to install the lilo boot loader and warned about installing it to the MBR. Choose yes.
18. You will then be asked for your timezone
19. You will be asked for a username to use other than root. IF you put in nothing it will go straight to changing the password for the root user which you need to set. For some reason I was prompted twice? Possible bug? Just put the root password in again.
20. The installation process is done. type exit then hit enter and then type reboot and enter. When the system reboots remove the install CD.
21. If everything went ok you will see the lilo bootloader with a picture of a feather. Hit enter to begin booting.
22. You will see a SAX2 configuration box that states it's running with the suggested settings for your desktop. Most users should be able to click ok and continue. I just clicked ok and continued. If the configuration doesn't work you'll get a bunch of garbage. If it works you'll get a login prompt.
23. Login and you should be greeted by your new Yoper dektop. Enjoy!

Install time:10 minutes
Install medium 1xCD
Kernel: 2.6.7
Hardware detection:
Video: detected correctly
Hard drive: detected correctly
CD drive: detected correctly
USB: detected correctly
Sound: detected correctly
Networking: detected correctly
Partitioning: medium difficulty cfdisk only built in option
Boot loader: lilo, simple to install
Disk Usage:1.5GB

Mozilla start time: 8 sec
Konquerer: 4 sec
Boot-Login dialog: 1:12
Login dialog-desktop: 13 sec

Comments: Yoper was a pleasant experience as far as linux installs go. The default desktop settings are easy to read and understand and it runs VERY fast for such an easy installation. The only problem encountered was that the SAX2 configuration utility used to setup the desktop environment would correctly detect the vmware videocard but would crash when trying to start the xwindow system. The problem was fixed by using the generic vesa driver.

Last edited:
[size=+1]Fedora Core 3[/size]

Fedora- http://fedora.redhat.com/

Fedora is based on Red Hat since redhat discontinued their free Linux line. Easy to use and comes with many applications to do what you want for a desktop. It is generally good at detecting hardware and has alot of graphical configuration tools. However, like many of the "newbie" distros it tends to run slower as there ALOT of services that are started in the background.

Install Guide:
1.Start by dowloading the 4 ISOs and burning the CDs. Insert CD 1 and restart the machine (make sure your system is set to boot from CD first)

2. You will be brought to a nice looking menu to begin the install. We are going to just hit enter for a graphical install.

3. You will be asked to test the media. this step is up to you.

4. You will then be brought to a nice looking welcome screen to guide you through the install.

5. You will be asked to select a language and the next window will ask what kind of keyboard you have, choose appropriately.

6. The installer will look for previous installations.

7. Now you will be asked what kind of installation you want. This determines what software is installed on your system. I chose workstation because it will install a C compiler and libraries which you WILL NEED sooner or later. Yuo can also choose between "Desktop" and "Server" which will alter what programs get installed.

8. You will be asked whether to allow the installer to automatically partition for you (what I did) or manually partition with Disk Druid.

9. You will be asked if you want to remove all Linux partitions, remove ALL partitions, or keep all partitions and use the free space on the drive.

10. You wil be shown what the installer thinks the partition scheme should be.

11. Now you will be shown the GRUB bootloader configuration, You can add other linux or windows installs if you wish.

12. You will be asked about your network configuration. Change the settings according to the kind of network you have (I used DHCP where your computer receives an IP from a router or other DHCP server). You can also setup a static IP if you want.

13. You will be asked to configure a firewall or disable it if you don't want/need it.

14. You will be asked if you want any additional language support, configure as you need.

15. You will be asked what timezone you are in. Choose appropriately.

16. You will be asked to set a root passsword. This is the equivelant of Administator for Windows.

17. You will be shown a list of what packages will be installed and given the option to leave it as is or customize the packages. I chose customize.

18. I chose to install the KDE desktop and removed Gnome as it was not used in this test. Click on details to get more specific information on what is being installed.

19. The installation will now begin, click next to start the install. You will be asked for additional CDs as needed by the installer.

20. When the installation is done you will be asked to reboot the machine. Reboot and remove the install CD from the drive.

21. If everything worked correctly you will see a nice GRUB bootloader menu. Choose Fedora and hit enter.

22. The system will boot with a nice looking boot progress indicator.

23. You will be presented with a nice welcome screen to perform the final configuration.

24. You have to agree to the Fedora license agreement.

25. Set your date and time.

26. If your monitor was correctly detected all you have to do is set the resolution, If not you'll have to configure it for your monitor then set the resolution.

27. Setup any additional user accounts.

28. You will be shown the automatically detected sound card and you can play a test sound to ensure it's working.

29. If you have additional package installation CDs you will be prompted to install them now.

30. Click finish and you will be prompted to login.

31. Login and you will be brought to your new Fedora Core 3 desktop. Enjoy!

Install time:27 minutes
Install medium 4 CDs
Kernel version: 2.6.9-1

Hardware Detection:
Video: Detected correctly
Hard drive: Detected correctly
CD Drive: Detected correctly
USB: Detected correctly
Sound: Detected correctly
Networking: Detected correcly
Partitioning: easy, manual or automatic partitioning, auto partitioning allocates 512 MB swap was the only drawback
Boot loader: Grub, simple install
Disk Usage: 2.7GB

Mozilla start time: 5 sec
Konquerer: 3 sec
Boot-desktop: 1 minute 31 seconds

Comments: I found Fedora Core 3 to be relatively easy to install though it was VERY bloated in terms of software installed and services that are started by default which are directly reflected in the long boot times and generally slugish performance of the OS. I will note however that version 3 DOES run faster than 2 by a noticeable margin. In my testing is was the slowest distribution to boot but once the desktop was up and running the system ran comparable to most other distros.

Last edited:
[size=+1]Mandrake 10[/size]

Mandrake- http://www.linux-mandrake.com/

Mandrake 10-Mandrake is a very easy to use distribution that has been around for a while. Mandrake supports RPM and has a great user base to get help from. It is also very good at detecting and setting up hardware. Mandrake 9.2 is generally agreed to be more stable than 10 but 10 has some nice new features like the 2.6 kernel which brings a nice speed improvement to a typical desktop setup. Mandrake is also available for you MAC guys as well.

Install guide:
1. Download and burn the 3 ISO CD images
2. Boot from CD1 and you will see a nice looking splash screen with the options to install/upgrade or F1 for options. We'll just hit enter to start the install.
3. You will be asked to select your language. Choose appropriately.
4. You will be shown the license agreement. Choose accept.
5. You will be prompted to choose the security level and given a description of what each level encompasses. I chose standard.
6. You will then be asked what kind of partioning you want. Use existing partitions, Erase entire disk, Customer partitioning. I chose custom.
7. You will be show a color coded representation of your partitions. I cleared all which emptied the entire bar. Clicking on the empty space will bring up a create button which brings up a slider to set the ammount of space used and you can choose what the mount point is ie. /, swap, /home etc. You can also choos the "auto allocate" button which will setup the partitions in the way it thinks is best. When done click done and it will write the partitions and format them.
8. You will then see a list of packages to be installed. You can check and uncheck the ones you see fit. There is also an option choose individual packages. I left the default configuration plus the "network computer" packages.
9. The installer will now copy the needed files. Insert the next discs in the series when prompted.
10. You will then be prompted for a root password.
11. You will then be asked for any additional user accounts you wish to setup.
12. You will then be asked where you want to install the bootloader. I chose the MBR (master boot record)
13. You will then be presented with the final configuration screen where you can make any last minute changes. You should setup your LAN if you have one and will be walked through the process. You will have to setup the graphical interface! The installer auto detected the correct hardware. The color depth configuration is VERY windwos like :). When asked if you want to start xfree on boot choose yes to get a graphical login, otherwise to login fro the command line. The services window is easy to understand and is simple to choose what you do and don't want to start. When you're satisifed with the configuration click next.
14. You will be given an option to download updated packages. This is up to you. I chose no.
15. Click reboot and remove the install CD.
16. If everything worked correctly you will see a nice lilo bootloader with multiple kernel options. Select "linux" for single processor machines and "linux-smp" for dual processor and hyperthreaded processors.
17. You will be brought to a login window where you need to put in your username and password. you can also choose which desktop you want to use (KDE/Gnome/fluxbox/etc.)
18. You will be asked to take the mandrake user survey. That's up to you.
19. You will then get to choose the theme of your desktop manager.
20. You will be brought to your new Mandrake 10 desktop. Enjoy!

Install time: 27 minutes
Install: medium 3 CDs
kernel version:2.6.3
Hardware detection:
Video: detected correctly, first distribution that worked with the vmware driver by default
CD Drive: detected correctly
Sound: detected correctly but was EXTREMELY buggy and caused frequent system hard locks
Networking: detected correctly but had problems with DNS and used non standard dhcp client
Partitioning: easy
Bootloader:Grub, simple install
Disk Usage: 1.7GB

Mozilla: 6 sec
Konquerer: 5 sec
Boot-desktop:61 sec

Comments: Mandrake was straight forward and easy to install with easy partioning and a smaller base install than Fedora. Mandrake uses the standard KDE 3.2 layout which I find nicer to use than the standard "bluecurve" used for Redhat/Fedora. When it ran it was MUCH more responsive than Fedora with equally nice configuration tools. However, the use of non standard networking tools made getting online difficult and hard to find a fix. I also experienced SEVERE and random hard system locks when the sound card was initialized. Definately recommend Mandrake 10 over Fedora for basically all purposes. I believe the crashing issue to be a bug with the driver and vmware. I also experienced and interesting issue where mandrake loads mozilla VERY fast but no other programs on different platforms will exhibit this speed boost.

Last edited:
[size=+1]Lycoris Update 3[/size]

Lycoris-http://www.lycoris.com/

Lycoris is aimed at creating a familiar windows interface for users migrating from Windows XP to linux. Lycoris is also the first distribution (that I know of) to use btx2 which is an advanced font rendering engine to replace the standard Freetype used by other Linux distributions.

Install guide:
1. Download and burn the ISO image to a CD and boot from it.
2. You should then see a nice looking boot menu with 3 options. We'll choose to install Desktop/LX.
3. You will see a Lycoris welcome screen, click next to get started.
4. You will then have toa gree to the license agreement.
5. You will then get to setup your mouse and you can test it.
6. You will then choose a keyboard.
7. You will then choose the type of videocard you have.
8. Now you will setup your monitor.
9. You can then select the resolution you wish to use. You can also test it at this time.
10. Now you will setup your partitions. I selected "use unpartitioned space."
11. Clcik the tab that says "use free space for Desktop/LX"
12. The next window will start the installation and run in the background while you go through the next steps
13. You will be asked for your username and user information.
14. You will then be asked about your network configuration. Setup according to your networking configuration.
15. A nice feature here. You will be asked to setup a moem if you have one.
16. Now select your timezone.
17. You will then be asked what Lycoris install you want to boot.
18. Highlight of the install! Let's play some solitaire while the install finishes.
19. When the install progress reaches 100% you can create a "rescue disc." I skipped this step. Clck finish and the system will reboot.
20. If all went well you will see a nice looking Grub bootloader. Choose Lycoris and press enter.
21. The boot process has a nice looking splash screen.
22. You will see a login prompt. Login.
23. You will be greeted by your new lycoris desktop. Enjoy!

Install time 19 minutes
Install medium 1 CD
Kernel version: 2.4.22
Hardware detection:
Video: detected correctly, vmware driver worked correctly automatically
Networking: detected correctly and worked automatically
Partitioning: easy, manual or automatic both work. Auto allocated 128MB of swap
Bootloader: Grub, simple install
Disk Usage: 1.2GB

Mozilla start time: 9 sec
Konquerer start time: 5 sec
Boot-login dialog: 59 sec
Login-desktop: 20 sec

I found Lycoris to be a VERY windows like experience which would make it ideal for users migrating from XP to linux. The default theme is pleasant to look at and well laid out. The base install is rather lean as well in terms of amount of software installed. During the install process you also are given the option to play solitaire while the OS is installed, nice touch. I was dissapointed however that Lycoris did not come with a C compiler by default. Hardware detection worked well and Lycoris was one of the few that worked correctly with the auto detected vmware display driver. I did experience a few software crashes but no hardlocks. I was surprised that Lycoris still uses the 2.4.22 kernel.

Last edited:
[size=+1]Slackware 10[/size]

Slackware- http://www.slackware.com/

Slackware-I have found the install process for this OS rather easy to use and straight forward. This OS is installed from CDs typically and is thought of as being the "most Unix like" in terms of the way it is setup. It is a very clean linux install that has detected almost all the hardware in most the system I have installed it on. Unlike Gentoo, Slackware does not have the portage system but they do have something similar called swaret. Swaret does not compile the software however. It downloads ready to run programs which means they are not as optimized for the system as they can be but still run quite well. I recommend slackware as the first distro to try after moving beyond the "newbie distributions"

Install guide:
1. Download and burn the 2 ISOs to CDs and boot from CD1.
2. You should see a bunch of information on how to pass parameters to the kernel and other assorted information. Most people can just hit enter, We will.
3. You will be prompted to select a keyboard map, US users can just hit enter
4. You will be prompted to login as root. Type "root" and hit enter
5. You will have to manually partition your drive. Start cfdisk or fdisk like so "cfdisk /dev/hda" assuming /dev/hda is the drive you want to partition. You need 2 partitions. 1 swap partition and 1 partition to install the OS to. when done type "setup" and the command line.
6. You will see a menu to perform the installation process. To start select the addswap option. It should automatically detect the swap partition. Select yes. It will format the swap partition and add it to your /etc/fstab.
7. you will then be asked to select a partition to to install as your / partition. This is where everything will be installed.
8. You will be asked if you want to quick format or format with block checking and what you want to format it as. I chose quickformat with reiserfs.
9. You will be told the / partition has been added to your /etc/fstab
10. You will be asked where you will be installing slackware from, CD in our case.
11. You will be asked if you want to automatically scan for the insatll disk or manually select teh drive. Auto should work fine.
12. You will be shown the different packages available to install an X next to each enrty indicates it is to be installed. Space bar toggles between slected and not selected. I removed gnome as it was not need for this test.
13. The next menu you will choose how the install will run. Full will install everything in each package you previously selected. Expert mode you will choose each individual package to install. Menu will let you choose groups of packages from menus. Newbie will ask you if you want to install each package. Custom will allow you to tweak the setup but we won't be getting into that. Choose the mode you wish to use. I selected full to make sure there would not be any dependency problems later.
14. The installer will begin copying files. you will see each package being installed with a short description of what each one is/does. Change out CDs when prompted to do so.
15. You will be asked if where you want to install a kernel from. We will use cdrom and choose the bare.i kernel.
16. You will then be asked if you want to make a boot floppy. We'll skip this step.
17. You will then be asked to setup a modem if you have one.
18. Next you can enable hotplug (recommended) which will handle USB and carbus devices.
19. Next is the lilo install. Simple usually works if there is no other OS on the drive which is out situation so we will use that. If you have windows installs or other linux install be prepared to manually configure lilo. It will ask you what resolution you want lilo to show up at. the default is prety safe and should be used for now. You will then be asked if you want to pass any commands to the kernel at boot. Most people should not need to so we will leave this blank. Last you will be asked where you want to install lilo. I chose MBR once again.
20. You will then be asked what type of mouse you are using. Choose according to your configuration. It will then ask if you want to load gpm at boot. Gpm allows you to use your mouse at the command line to copy and paste text. This is up to you and your needs. I chose no.
21. You will then be asked if you want to configure your network. We do so we'll say yes. you will be asked for a hostname, domain (workgroup), a static IP or DHCP, and finally any other network specific options that need to be passed which we don't need so we'll leave it blank. Lastly you will be shown the final configuration. If everything is correct select yes.
22. You will now be shown what services are started during boot. You can add and remove as you see fit.
23. You will be asked if you want to try some custom screen fonts. This is up to you. If you don't the system font will be like the font for the install process. If you choose one from the font list you will get a preview and can choose if you want to keep it. This will be the font used at the command line. This does not affect gnome/kde.
24. You will be asked if your clock si set to local time. Most useres will say yes. You will then be asked what timezone you are in.
25. You will be asked what you want the default window manager to be. This is up to you.
26. You will then be asked to set a root password, Do so.
27. you will then be told the installation is complete. You will then be taken back to the main menu. Exit and press crtl+alt+del at the command line to reboot the machine. Remove the CD when the system reboots.
28. If everything worked correctly you will see a simple lilo boot menu.
29. The system will boot to a login prompt. By default you will only have a root user. Login as root.
30. Type "startx" to bring up kde. You will be greeted by the KDE kpersonalizer. It will walk you through setting up your language, themes, and other graphical options.
31. For those that want a graphical login instead of command line here's how to do it. Open your home directory or konquerer and in the address bar, type /etc and hit enter. This will bring up the /etc directory where most of your system's configuration files are held. Look for a file called "inittab" and click on it. It should open in a text editor. Look for a line that says

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
id:3:initdefault:

change the 3 to a 4 and save. Now when you reboot you should get a pretty graphical login instead of a command line login.
32. When that's done you will be greeted by you new Slackware desktop. Enjoy!

Install time: 30 minutes
Install medium: 2 CDs
Kernel version: 2.4.26
Hardware detection:
Video: detected , used generic vesa for video but got 1024x768 by default.
Sound: detected correctly and worked particularly well
Partitioning: Requires knowledge of fdisk or cfdisk and there is no non destructive method.
Bootloader:lilo, Install doesn't always detect a dual booted system and configure itself appropriately. Knowledge of how lilo works would be helpful.
Disk Usage:2.2GB

Konquerer start time: 4 sec
Mozilla start time: 9 sec
Boot-text login: 43sec
Text login-desktop: 17 sec
Boot-graphic login: 49 sec
Graphic login-desktop: 11 sec

Comments: Slackware 10 is a very customizable distribution with a standard file layout that ensures configuration files are where they're supposed to be when looking up information on how to fix a problem. Slackware ran well with the virtual machine, perfectly stable and was much more responsive in use that fedora or mandrake. I was dissapointed that slackware was still using the 2.4.26 kernel though as the 2.6 kernel would bring some performance benefit with desktop usage. Slackware uses the standard KDE 3.2 layout which is also used by Yoper, Gentoo, Debian, Mandrake (sort of) and Knoppix or any time you build KDE from source code. Knowledge of how to partion manually is needed for the install. Although not pretty, the install process gets the job done just fine and is straight forward. If you are going to customize the install you should do some research on desktop managers and what all the applications you plan on removing/installing do.

Last edited:
[size=+1]Knoppix 3.7[/size]

Knoppix- http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

Knoppix 3.7-Linux distribution based on debian that runs entirely from a CD including a fully functional KDE desktop environment, mp3 player, DVD player, CD burning, webserver, you can pretty name it and Knoppix has it. Knoppix also has a hard drive install option which will be covered here.

Install guide:
1. Download and burn the single ISO to CD and boot from it.

2. You will be greeted by a knoppix splash screen. Press enter to start the boot process.

3. You will be brought to a fully functional desktop. You can stop here and use the system as it is but we want to install to the hard drive.

4. Open a terminal (the little computer screen at the bottom of the screen) and type
Code:
su
and hit enter to run as the root user.

5. Now type
Code:
knoppix-installer
and hit enter. You will see a window come up that states this script will install knoppix to the hard drive. Click ok.

6. The next window will tell you you need to create a 2 GB partition and a 128MB partition for swap space if you have less than 512MB of RAM. Click ok.

7. The next window give you the option to partition your hard drive, configure the installion or start the installation. You'll probably need to partition first unless you have already done that then move on to configuring the installer.

8. Qparted will load. This is the linux equivalent of Partition Magic. Click on the /dev/hda or whatever hard drive it is you want to partition. In the right window you can right click on the entry and select create. You will select the partition type and set the size of the partition. Set the type to ext3 or reiserfs, your preference. Select the left over space and set it to type linux-swap. Click file and select commit. When it finishes close Qparted.

9. You will be given 6 options, we want to configure a new installation (option 1).

10. You will be asked what type of installation you want. Beginner, knoppix, Debian. We want beginner which will install a standard multi-user system with hardware detection.

11. You will be asked what partition you want to install to. Choose appropriately. In my case it was /dev/hda1.

12. You will be asked for your name and then for your username and then the password for that user. Enter them.

13. You will then be asked for the administrator password. Enter it.

14. You will be asked for a hostname (computer name)

15. You will then be asked where you want to install the lilo bootloader. MBR in my case.

16. You will be brought back to the 6 option configuration menu. Select start installation. You will be shown the final configuration. If everything looks good click next to begin. The installer will copy the files.

17. You will then be prompted to insert a floppy disk to create a boot disk.

18. If everything worked correctly you will be told knoppix successfully installed to the hard drive. Reboot the computer and remove the CD.

19. You should see the lilo bootloader with three kernel boot options. We'll use the 2.6 kernel.

20. You should see a login screen. Login.

21. You will be taken through the KDE Personalizer where you will setup your language, themes, and other graphical options.

22. When you're done you should be at your new Knoppix desktop. Enjoy!

Install time:25 minutes Note-the install process was timed from the start of running the knoppix install scripts as opposed to timing the entire boot from cd process as well.

Install medium: 1 CD

Kernel version: 2.6.9

Hardware detection: Note-Running from CD detected everything perfectly

video:CD and harddrive install correctly detected
Partitioning: Graphical partitioning utility called Qparted that can non destructively resize partitions, relatively easy to use.
Bootlader: Lilo, but with a Debian theme to it. You are given the choice to use the 2.4 or 2.6 kernel
Disk usage:2.1GB

Boot-graphic login: 45 seconds
Mozilla start time: 5 sec
Konquerer start time: 3 sec

Comments: Knoppix is a handy distribution for a linux system rescue disc. You can also write to NTFS partitions with this release as it includes captive-NTFS. It runs well and comes with most anything you could ever need for a desktop. You also get your choice of 2.4 or 2.6 series kernels. The install process is straight forward and well documented. You also get the advantage of being able to use Debian's apt-get utility to install/upgrade applications.

Last edited:
[size=+1]Gentoo[/size]

Gentoo-http://www.gentoo.org/

Gentoo is a distribution that has 3 different install methods. You can just install from the CDs known as stage 3. You can install the base system from CD known as stage 2 and then custom compile the rest of the OS from scratch to bring it to stage 3. This makes the system faster and more responsive but takes some time. Last is the stage 1 install where EVERYTHING is built from scratch. This makes for an EXTREMELY customized and streamlined system. However this method can take DAYS depending on the speed of your computer. A broadband connection would be recommened for a stage 2 or 1 install. Gentoo does all this with what is called Portage. you can basically type "emerge nameofprogram" and it will download, configure and compile the software for you. This makes maintaining the system very easy. Gentoo also has a great support base and is available for the MAC platform as well.

install guide
Note-The following guide is EXACTLY what I did for my install and it was adapted from the official gentoo installation handbook here.-http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
1. Download and burn the x86 minimal ISO and boot from the CD.
2. You will see a boot prompt where you can choose different kernels or view other options. We'll just hit enter since we don't need anything special.
3. You will then see a splash screen with a purple cow and the system will boot in the background.
4. When it's done you will have the standard linux command prompt. You will do everything for the install from here. No GUIs for you :D.
5. For this guide I will use an internet connection for everything. It is possible to install from CDs as well but including that info here would make it WAY too long. As such we need to maek sure networking is working correctly. To check use the "ifconfig" command. There should be an entry for eth0. If so run this command "dhcpcd eth0" that will request an ip address from the router. If you don't see anything with ifconfig try "ifconfig -a" if there is no ethx entry then the network card did get the correct driver loaded at boot. You will have to look up what kind of network card you have and find the appropriate module (driver) and load it using the modprobe command. I had to do this myself "modprobe pcnet32" to load the correct driver. I could then run "dhcpcd eth0" to get my ip address.
6. To get the best disk performance during the installation we will set some safe settings for the hard drive. Type in the following command "hdparm -d 1 -A 1 -m 16 -u 1 -a 64 /dev/hda" assuming /dev/hda is the disk you want to install to.
7. Now you need to partition the disk. There are alot of different partition schemes you can use. The gentoo install guide suggests 3. One for /, one for /boot and one for swap. I set mine up with 2 to keep it simple. one for / and one for swap. You will use the fdisk program to partition your drive like this "fdisk /dev/hda" you can then press "p" and enter to view the partition table use "d" to delete partitions and "n" to create new ones. I created a new partition with a capacity of 128MB on /dev/hda1 for swap and a new partiton on /dev/hda2 that used the rest fo the space for /. Don't forget to use "t" to specify the type of partition for the swap partition it should be set to 82. When you have things the way you want hit "w" and enter to write the changes and quit.
8. Now we have to create the filesystems for the partitions. You need to knwo what type of filesystem you want first so that you use the appropriate tool. In my case I'm using reiserfs so I type in "mkreiserfs /dev/hda2" and it will format the partition, "mkswap /dev/hda1" will format the first partition as a swap partition.
9. Now we will turn on the swap partition like so "swapon /dev/hda1"
10. Now we are going to mount the / partition "mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo" and then make a boot directory "mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot"
11. We need to check the date before we do anything else the "date" command will accomplish this. If it's wrong "date MMDDhhmmYYYY" will fix it.
12. So now we get to download the stage 1 installation files. go to the /mnt/gentoo directory and type "links www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml". Welcome to command line web browsing. This will bring up the list of Gentoo mirrors in the browser. Select a mirror that is close to you then navigate to releases, then x86, then 2004.2, then stages, then x86 again, then stage1-x86-2004.2.tar.bz2. Hit d to download the file. When it's done hit "q" to quit.
13. Now you'll type "tar -xvjpf stage1-x86-2004.2.tar.bz2" that will extract the files from the archive.
14. Now we have to configure the build options for the system so we will run "nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf" "Here you set the type of system you are building for, optimizations, USE flags (later), and other build options. Mine is setup as follows

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -O3"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"

This basically says build everything optimized for the Athlon XP. -pipe and -fomit-frame-pointer are other compile options. -O3 set the optimization level to 3 which is as high as it goes. Obviously you will have to modify this to fit your particular system. when you have everything set the way you like it press ctrl+x to quit and press "y" and then enter to save.
15. To make sure you get the fastest mirrors for downloading the rest of the OS use the following command "mirrorselect -a -s4 -o | grep 'GENTOO_MIRRORS=' >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf"
16. Now we will copy the DNS info fro networking before entering the new gentoo system. This is done like so "cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf"
17. We have to mount the proc filesystem as well like so "mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc"
18. Now we switch over to the new gentoo system like this. "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash" This will change our root filesystem from the CD we booted from to the hard drive with the bash shell. you need to run "env-update" and "source /etc/profile" as well.
19. Now we have to update the portage tree so that portage knows what packages are available. "emerge sync" will do this for us. If you are behind a firewall that blocks ftp traffice you can use "emerge-webrsync". This will take some time so be patient.
20. Once that finishes you need to set your USE flags. These determine what compatibility is built when the programs are compiled. For example "-gtk -gnome qt kde" removes support for gnome and gtk and adds support for kde and QT. You set them by editing the make.conf file again. "nano -w /etc/make.conf" Mine are set as follows "USE="-gtk -gnome qt kde alsa cd dvd cdr" So my final make.conf file looks like this.

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -O3"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="-gtk -gnome qt kde alsa cd dvd cdr"

Save and quit nano.
21. It's time to bootstrap the system. This will build the C compiler to build the rest of the system and some basic utilities. Go to the /usr/portage directory and type "scripts/bootstrap.sh". Then go find something to do for a couple of hours.
22. When that finishes you are now at stage 2. We want to be at stage 3 though to get a working system. Now we will run "emerge system". Now go find something to do for another couple of hours. Hey on the bright side this step takes less time than bootstrapping.
23. Now that that's done we need a kernel. There a couple different options depending on what the system will be used for. We will use the gentoo-dev-sources for a standard 2.6 kernel, "emerge gentoo-dev-sources" will get the job done.
24. Now we need to make sure that /usr/src/linux points to the linux source code like this "ln -s /usr/src/linux..kernelversion /usr/src/linux"
25. Now we configure the kernel. (note-I am not going to cover the genkernel method. After all, we're doing things the hard way so far so why stop?) cd to /usr/src/linux. Type "make menuconfig". This will bring up the kernel configuration, here you can add and remove support for your system hardware. I cannot be much help because everyone's system is different, I wish you the best of luck though :D. The only thing I can make sure you include is under

Code maturity level options --->
[*] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

make sure you have that selected and

File systems --->
Pseudo Filesystems --->
[*] /proc file system support
[*] /dev file system support (OBSOLETE)
[*] Automatically mount at boot
[*] Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)

Make sure all those are enabled as well and in filesystem make sure you add support for whatever filesystem you formatted / as. When you're done exit the configurationa nd you'll be asked to save. Save and then type "make && make modules_install" this will build the kernel and any modules you selected and install them. When that's done type "cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6" and then "cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6." This will copy the kernel to the /boot directory.
26. you can now emerge drivers for other hardware you have like the ati drivers or nvidia drivers. In my case all the needed drivers are int eh kernel already so nothing else is needed.
27. Now we have to setup the /etc/fstab. This file tells linux what is mounted where and with what permissions. "nano -w /etc/fstab" will do this. This is my example

/dev/hda / reiserfs noatime,notail 1 1
/dev/hda1 none swap sw 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0

Your's may be different depending how you setup your partitions. The general idea is like this: partition mountpoint filesystem type options dump check
28. Now we setup the networking information like so. "echo tux > /etc/hostname" replace tux with the name you want for your computer. Then type "echo homenetwork > /etc/dnsdomainname" homenetwork would be the same thing as a workgroup windows. Now we will add this information to the system startup sequence like this "rc-update add domainname default".
29. Now we have to configure the network interface like this "nano -w /etc/conf.d/net" you are looking for the iface_eth0 entry. We will add dhcp to the end assuming you're using dhcp on your network. The following file should explain a bit.

(For DHCP)
iface_eth0="dhcp"
# Some network admins require that you use the
# hostname and domainname provided by the DHCP server.
# In that case, add the following to let dhcpcd use them.
# That will override your own hostname and domainname definitions.
dhcpcd_eth0="-HD"
# If you intend on using NTP to keep your machine clock synchronized, use
# the -N option to prevent dhcpcd from overwriting your /etc/ntp.conf file
dhcpcd_eth0="-N"

(For static IP)
iface_eth0="192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway="eth0/192.168.0.1"

(For rp-pppoe)
iface_eth0="up"

30. Once you have that modified we will have it start at boot like this "rc-update add net.eth0 default"
31. Now we have to set a root password. Type "passwd" and you'll be asked for a new root password.
32. Optional: modify /etc/rc.conf as you see fit. This file is well commented so you know what's going on. Modify it with nano like so "nano -w /etc/rc.conf"
33. Now we need a system logger to watch what's going on in the system. so let's emerge metalog "emerge metalog" when that's done type "rc-update add metalog default" to have it start at boot.
34. Optional: you don't need a cron daemon but it is required if you want to run a given task like say emerge sync every friday or something similar. We'll install one just in case "emerge vixie-cron" when it's done "rc-update add vixie-cron default" to load it at boot.
35. Now we need the file system tools, so we "emerge reiserfsprogs" to install them.
36. Now we need a boot loader. You can use either GRUB or liloo. I will use lilo as I find it easier to work with. So "emerge lilo" will get it installed. now we need to configure it by "nano -w /etc/lilo.conf". I won't go into depth on the configuration but the details can be found here-http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10
Here is my example configuration

boot=/dev/hda
prompt
timeout=50
default=gentoo
vga=normal

image=/boot/bzImage-2.6
label=gentoo
read-only
root=/dev/hda2

When you get that done and saved type "lilo" and it should install lilo. If it worked you should see something like
Added gentoo*
37. Last we need to set the timezone "ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT /etc/localtime" Adjust GMT to fit your area. "ls /usr/share/zoneinfo | less" should list all available timezones.
38. Now comes the scary part, rebooting and hoping it all worked! type "exit" that will bring you back to the CD. No type "reboot". When the system reboots remove the CD from the drive. If all went well you will be greeted by lilo. select gentoo and the system should start booting. Hopefully everything goes well.
39. You should be brought to a login prompt. Login as root. Where you go from here is up to you. We want to install KDE so let's do that.
40. Type "emerge kde" and go on vacation (well maybe not that extreme but go do something to burn some time)or something. This will take A LONG TIME.
41. When that finishes run "env-update && source /etc/profile"
42. Now run "xorgconfig" which will bring up an interactive configuration utility to configure the xwindow system that runs KDE, GNOME, and most of the other window managers.
43. When that's done we need to make sure kde starts when we type startx so we edit /etc/rc.conf "nano -w /etc/rc.conf" at the bottom there is an entry for #XSESSION="". Remove the the #. We need to know how kde is started. This is determined like so "ls /etc/X11/Sessions" This will show some entries depending on what's installed, like these-Xsession fluxbox kde-3.2.2. You can see we have kde-3.2.2 so we add that to the XSESSION like this XSESSION="kde-3.2.2". If you want to have a graphical login add this line DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" now you'll get a prett graphical login. Exit and save.
44. Now type startx and assuming yoy got everything in xorgconfig right you will see the KDE Personalizer where you will setup your language, themes, and other graphical options.
45. When that's done you'll see your new Gentoo desktop. Enjoy!

Install time: 28 hours 15 minutes-From stage 1
Install medium: 1 CD
Kernel version: latest available in the portage tree. testing was done on version 2.6.8
Hardware detection: Note-boot with smp kernel on the install CD as it tends to auto detect hadware better than the non smp version.
Video: detect vesa and used vesa driver which worked fine from install CD. Final detection when running from hard drive is up to you and your kernel configuration.
Hard drive: detected correctly but had to load ide-disk module to be able to partition and mount drive with non SMP kernel. SMP kernel worked correctly.
USB: detected correctly by install CD. Add support to the kernel during install
Sound: detetced correctly by install CD. Add support to the kernel during install
Networking: detected correctly by SMP kernel and work automatically, non SMP kernel required the loading of the pcnet32 module to detect the network card and then had to manually pull an IP adress using dhcpcd
Partitioning: REQUIRES knowledge of linux's fdisk and formatting tools.
Bootloader: Grub or Lilo, it's your choice
Disk Usage: 2.3GB

Boot-command line login-40 sec
Command lin login-desktop-18sec
Mozilla start time: 7 sec
Konquerer start time: 4 sec

Comments: Although not signifigantly faster with conservative build options and use flags, gen
too does offer an AWESOME package manager and yields a fast system when built from stage 1. For those who don't want to wait for a stage 1 install I suggest you look hard at Yoper. The apt system works nearly as well as portage and will install binaries as opposed to source/compiling and you will have a very comparable system. First time linux user should look into understanding Linux partitioning schemes and understanding how the kernel and modules work as well. Hardware detection is kind of up in the air on this one because you build the kernel yourself so YOU decide what is supported.

Last edited:
Now to retrofit some information from the old thread..

Here is a list of CD bootable Linux distibutions.

All of these distributions run completely from the CD. That means no install and they all startup with an easy to use desktop and almost all of the applications you need for a functional computer. They are also very good at autodetecting your hardware. These distributions give you a way to try linux without having to worry about ruining your current windows install. You can also install any of these to the hard drive if you wish which will obviously be MUCH faster than from a CD. On the down side you cannot save any of your changes to the OS unless you have a USB thumb drive or create a partition on the hard drive for the information. Bootable CD distributions also need a bit faster of a sytem with alot of RAM to run well. Many of these also make great "rescue discs" if you mess up something to where your Linux install is not usable.

Knoppix-Standard bootable CD linux distribution. CD burning, DVD player, MP3, office applications file sharing and more.

Knoppix STD-almost the same as above but it includes many tools for testing the security of you network.

Overclockix and Overfoldix are Bootable CDs based on Knoppix but it has tools to run the Folding at home distributed computing client. Overclockix was created and is maintained by one of our very own forum members, Arkaine32. Overfoldix is the distro that inspired Arkaine23 to create Overclockix and is maintained by David.

Mandrake-I was not aware Mandrake had a bootable CD version. Expect it to be as easy to use as the desktop variant and the other bootable CD OSes.

Slax-Based on one of my favorite distros slackware. Although I have not used this variant yet it looks quite nice. It appears to be the only current version of a bootable CD I can find with KDE 3.2 on it. Perhaps Overclockix does too, I remember seeing some screenshots of Overclockix with KDE 3.2 but I don't know if that was beta or final.

PCLinux OS- Similar to knoppix, but based off Mandrake instead of Debian. Besides great autodetection, it will load the official nvidia kernel modules if you have a nforce motherboard or a nvidia video card, and it also automatically loads wireless lan drivers.

Morphix- Again, similar to knoppix, but it's modular, meaning (to a certain extent) you can choose what goes into the CD.

Tom's RootBoot- A bootable floppy disk distro that runs from only one floppy disk. Very useful for just performing basic system maintnence.

And here's a link to MANY CD bootable linux versions- http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?showonly=desktop&sort=Name

Last edited:
Here are some distributions not included in these guides for various reasons but are still quite viable options.

Red Hat 9-The last of the free Red Hat distributions. Red Hat is one of the most documented and well supported distributions available. It is very good with hardware detection and has alot of easy to use graphical tools for system configuration. Both Red Hat and Fedora Core officially support RPM which is the Redhat Package Manager file. These are designed to make software installs easier like in Windows. It doesn't always work right but many things do and it's easier for linux beginners to double click a file than to compile a program from source code.

SUSE-Easy to use distribution from Germany and is setup similar to Redhat and Fedora Core. Suse however does not have the FULL os available as downloadable ISOs. You download a single ISO that you boot from and install everything though FTP. This could be very painful over dial-up so it's best to have a broadband connection of some sort. You can buy SUSE in a boxed set which comes on CDs ready to go and comes with a nice user manual to get you started. Update: There is now a CD installable version available for free download.

Yellow Dog-For you MAC guys out there yellow dog is an easy to use distro for the Power PC architecture. I HAVE NOT had much personal experiance with it so I cannot say much beyond that but I'm open to feedback from users of this OS.

Lindows-Easy to use distribution that is setup ALOT like windows. Most users tend to shy away from Lindows because this OS makes a few sacrifices in security to make the OS easier to use. Namely you are always running system as "root" which is like the administrator in Windows. You can really mess some things up if you're not careful. As of this writing I am only aware of a pay version of Lindows whereas all of the other distros have free versions.

Debian-(I REALLY wanted to get a debian install guide up but there were too many problems with the networking to allow me to install ANYTHING and installing from the CD consistantly failed with multiple ISOs and brands of CDs. Sorry guys :(.) Generally considered complicated to install debian is the distribution that Knoppix is based on. Debian does have apt-get which is their equivalent of Gentoo's portage to download and install programs for you. The apt system does not compile programs the way portage does so the install times re much faster but he final application is not as optimized at it could be. I have not used Debian personally so I cannot comment further on it.

LFS-Linux From Scratch is just like it sounds. You are given the code for eveything in the OS and you compile it all manually. This makes for the most customizable linux possible and alot of satisfaction in being able to build the entire OS by hand.

Last edited:
Link list to each distribution mentioned and other helpful links.

Knoppix- http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
Knoppix STD- http://www.knoppix-std.org/
Overclockix- http://overclockix.octeams.com/
Slax- http://slax.linux-live.org/
SUSE- http://www.suse.com/
Fedora- http://fedora.redhat.com/
Redhat- http://www.redhat.com/
Mandrake- http://www.linux-mandrake.com/
Yellow Dog- http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/
Lindows- http://linspire.com/ -Recently changed name to Linspire
Slackware- http://www.slackware.com/
Gentoo- http://www.gentoo.org/
Debian- http://www.debian.org/
LFS- http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Yoper- http://www.yoper.com/
PCLinux OS- http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/
Morphix- http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/
Toms RootBoot- http://www.toms.net/rb/

The new Linux FAQ (props to christoph and all contributing memebers)- http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=328963

For Linux documentation the Linux Documentation Project can be found at http://www.tldp.org/docs.html

For lessons on how to use your linux install- http://www.linux.org/lessons/

Website that has themes and wallpapers for KDE and other windows managers- http://www.kde-look.org/

Sources for Open source software- http://sourceforge.net/ http://freshmeat.net/

Instructions for how to burn your downloaded ISOs- http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

Forum dedicated to Linux and Linux problems- http://www.linuxquestions.org

Linux magazine for beginners and a FREE subscription- http://www.tuxmagazine.com/

Other Linux related websites with helpful info.
http://www.reallylinux.com/

http://www.tuxs.org/

http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/index.html

Any other distros that are added to the descriptions will be appropriately updated here.

This thread is not meant to start arguments over which distro is easier or more stable. It is meant to help linux newcomers understand what is available. Feedback is alway appreciated. If I have misreported or missed something pertaining to any of the distros please let me know and I'll fix it. Also if you want to see another distro added that you think should be in here let me know and I'll make it happen. There are many other distros available so please dont think this is all that is available. Also, ANY of these distros can do what the other does. It's just a matter of downloading the applications you want or need. There is no "best for DVD playback" or "best for a server". I hope this helps at least one newcomer one more post to follow with links to each of the mentioned distros.

Last edited:
OMG my fingers hurt now!! well that's about everything there. I'll get the pictures working in time. Feel free to start criticizing me(constructively please :D) and point out any errors so that I may fix them. The mass posting is done for now. Enjoy.

This guide is great it makes me want to try actually doing a HD install of linux instead of just live cds. I think I will try either Yoper or Fedora.

I would ask that the people that posted while Kaltag was writing this move their posts so it is all in one piece.

After that the mods must see this and stickie it

Oh yeah I almost forgot I am not sure that its possible to get the Mandrake live-cd iso anymore(I tried). On Slax I find it is a great distro especially for computers without very much ram or processor power. Finally one of the best tiny distros I have found is Damn Small Linux www.damnsmalllinux.org only about 60 mbs my friend got it running on a pentium 120mhz with 32 megs of ram just fine.

kaltag said:
OMG my fingers hurt now!!

So do mine! But from scrolling down your page! :D I'm on Mandrake 10 now. No Windows at all. Trying to learn Linux better so your links have proven helpful. Good job :attn:

A note on the guide:
I recently did another Gentoo install after which I found that my motherboard was having severe problems.....
So I went back to my old standby 8kha+.

I used your guide to reconfigure everything and did just fine. :)
Nice job. :)
Now I have to read the rest of them....;)

rogerdugans said:
A note on the guide:
I recently did another Gentoo install after which I found that my motherboard was having severe problems.....
So I went back to my old standby 8kha+.

I used your guide to reconfigure everything and did just fine. :)
Nice job. :)
Now I have to read the rest of them....;)
Always glad to help :)

NOTE:
I have cleaned up a few posts from this thread in order to keep the information continuous and hopefully make the Sticky easier to read.

This is great, I just thought about trying out linux a few days ago. I need to just figure out how im going to approach it since I probably am so used to windows and I am a huge gamer.

Ill give it a shot thought, gotta make some partitions or even get a small hd to try with.

So do you copy it with the computer u are installing it on or can u copy it with an allready up and running system and then put it on the one you are loading it on

Back