• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghettoliscious

Registered
Hey everyone!

I just bought this Zalman beast from Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-109&depa=1) and put it in just fine with some AS-5. Was wondering if anyone who has this H/S had any issues with it, as if the mounting brackets for the P4 didn't quite hold the H/S tight enough to the cpu. Even though the screws are tightened all the way on both sides, it still feels like the H/S is a bit slack and moves around too much.

Posting cuz my temps actually got worse after replacing my stock H/S. Thanks!

care to post some temps??? Because AS5 does need to burn in, which will lower your temps. Also this HS isn't aimed at producing great temps its aimed at being silent, you can do that tornado mod and mount a tornado in there, anyone have the link?

Well, my room is generally cool, so case runs around 26C most of the time. At complete standstill idle, my 2.8C P4 rests at 33C, and 47C at load. I know AS-5 takes a while to burn in, but even last time that I put in the old h/s myslef (also used AS-5) temps were dramatically lower measured at the same time of AS-5 usage, usually keeping the cpu at 1 or 2 degree higher than case temps with stock.

I know this thing is meant to be silent, but a) the fan is at full speed anyways, so it's not on any kind of "silent mode" and, b) I would hope this h/s would at least perform at leeeeast as good as the stock, especially after reading countless positive reviews on several different forums/review sites.

Anyone who has this h/s experience any problems as posted?

I double checked everything, followed their instructions, and even watched the how-to video. I'm in NO way new to computer building, so I'm not necessarily doubting my work. It's in there correctly per Zalman, and I've sent them an email, it just takes them 2+ weeks to respond to anything.

I could try to jimmy the clips a bit, maybe by bending them over more... just wanted to wait till I heard more feedback. Doesn't seem right to have to modify the brackets in order to make something work that's not on the "incompatible" list. It clears the NB & Video card just fine, just can be turned ever so slightly without much effort at all.

Ghettoliscious -

I have three of these HSF's.

I had the same prob as yours on a trial test fit before final ***'y. The prob is with the thin metal spring clips (brackets?) that apply the downward force.

Simply bend 'em, a bit, with a pair of needle nose pliers, and the problem's cleared up in 2 secs flat! :cool:

I can't remember which direction to bend the brackets, but it should be obvious: Whichever way will apply more tension.

Its been running fine & keeping excellent temps for nearly a year, now, even thought the center is pretty well coated in dust due to a bit of laziness on my part. My machines run DC 24/7.

I use my Zalmans on P4C's, and noticed from the beginning, that they all generally didn't have the 'tightest' fit, though to different degrees. If I ever buy another one, I'll be sure to give it a little extra 'bend', as a precaution.

HTH

Strat

Nice! Some experienced info... thanks. I amazingly heard from Zalman today, and they said that it was "normal" and gave me the whole schpeal about "actual results may vary" yada yada yada, so I think I'll hurry up and bend the clips. Thanks!

I'll post some results soon

No thanks needed (though always appreciated). :cool:

Good Luck. :beer:

Strat

<EDIT>

BTW - I mean bending the very thin spring-like clip, NOT the thick brushed aluminum ones.

Just wanted to be as clear as possible.

Ya' never know! ;)

Last edited:
I ran into the same problem when I first mounted my 7000cu.
I just put some shims ( OK..they were washers) under the center ( contact) point of the retainer and that incresed the tension enough to overcome any potential slippage.

I just ordered my Zalman, hope there arent any problems. Guys can I have some reviews other than overclockers.com's? I cant seem to find any where else.

I had one of these hs&f on my p4, I loved it to bits :D
It was quiet and quite efficient :)

it could be too much as5 on it. check if you followed the instructions:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

also, while tightening the screws, make sure to keep the brackets level. it's tricky, cause they tend to slide sideways while you screw them in so only one side is tight. takes several tries sometime... took me 3 times till i figured what i was doing wrong :p .

i have one of these HSF's and my temps didnt change much from stock so i reseated it and have had no problems since.

Artic silver is a bit of a nightmare i personally think there is a such a small line of where you have to much or not enough at all

When running wide open, using a dab of AS5, a copper Zalman should drop a P4C a solid 8 - 10 degrees over the stock HSF (also using AS5), if you have decent case cooling.

They also should handle just about any P4C OC you can throw at 'em. During experimenting, I've had my sig rig doing 2.8 @ 3.64 using 1.75V Vcore (actual) for a few days, running dual SETI clients concurrently, 24/7. Temps stayed right at 50*C (AsusProbe). That's the highest temps I've ever seen with a Zalman. And dual SETI 24/7 is pretty dayemm rigorous, not to mention 1.75V Vcore is pretty ridiculous. Now back at 3.6 & 1.675V, my temps are 45 - 47*C while still crunching 24/7. My other dual client crunchers wearing Zalmans are in the 39 and 45*C range, while crunching 24/7/365. All Vcores quoted are 'under heavy load actual', so they're pretty stiff, but they keep my crunchin' stable as hell. :cool:

It's a great unit, and IMO, will handle any S478 Intel OC excep, of course, a Prescott. It's no sp-94, but it'll handle any Northwood, IME. Reliable, not too high of a price (considering the fan's included), and quiet (foreign territory for an OCer). What else is there to say?

No, I don't work for, or own stock, in Zalman. ;)

Strat

[QUOTE=StratcatIt's a great unit, and IMO, will handle any S478 Intel OC excep, of course, a Prescott. It's no sp-94, but it'll handle any Northwood, IME. Reliable, not too high of a price (considering the fan's included), and quiet (foreign territory for an OCer). What else is there to say?

I have a Prescott and know of few others running these HSF on P4e's and my case temp is 28-30, room temp 25-30 and my max load temp is 63'c at 3.3 but i have modded the fan to fit a 80mm TT Smartfan.

Attachments

• IMGA0218.JPG
    IMGA0218.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 258
Zalman CNPs7000A-CU

I have the a Zalman CNPs7000A-CU with a Abit Ic7 mobo with a 2.4b (533) clocked @ 2.8 gig @ 1.525v with some Twin 256 XMS 3200LLPT @ 2-2-2-5 Temps are 40oc idle & 49 full......and its running stable :beer:

Regards funkyoneboy :thup:

First of all, I hope you took that piece of trash 'fan mate' and threw it in the trash. Just plug the fan power cord straight into the mobo.

I have noticed that, for one reason or another, the zalman tends to recirculate the air through the h/s. So esentialy, you are running air through the h/s that is higher than the ambient. I made a duct so I could be sure that the h/s had absolutley fresh air. Temps dropped 9C! :D

Also you will notice that there are two big gaps in the fins on each side. After mounting the h/s, use some tape to block the escaping airflow through these gaps. I got another 1C with this. Very useful if you plan to put a more powerfull fan in it. More airflow really wont help untill you fix this since it will just escape out the sides.

I was to cheap to put a tornado fan it it, so I just mounted a 120mm antec fan in the duct to forcefeed the h/s. This gave me another 1-2C, but im not sure it was worth the noise. Its not silent anymore.

With these simple mods, I think my heatsink will outperform the sp94, which I've heard is a pain to mount, difficult to have perfect airflow with, and blows hot air on your graphics card. Also since the fan of the zalman faces the side of the case, it is very easy to make a short duct right into it. I used a short section of a two litter bottle; perfect size.

Considering im running a prescott at 1.6v I think my temps are fine. See sig

labrat, did you cut a hole in your case? I want to do this, as my prescott needs some major cooling. I'm only running stock 3.2E with a zalman 7000Cu and I'm running at 66C Idle. Of course I have no thermal grease on as I am waiting for my AS5 to come in, but even with it on I think I'd only be maybe 58 idle. Sounds like the duct does wonders, I don't really want to cut a hole in my case and don't really want the noise that goes with it, think a duct and fan would be ok without a hole?

Back