• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slipstream SP2 the easy way.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedDeathDrinker

Senior Aircraftsman IRL
There are guides, and then there are guides, but this is the easy way to slipstream SP2, and put it on a bootable CD.......

Your XP CD should be an original XP (gold) disc, but apparently SP1 slipstreamed discs work as well

WARNING: StyleXP makes changes to your core operating files, and should be uninstalled before performing the slipstream actions

SP2 MUST be the network install - (click to download) version

1: Copy the contents of your XP CD into a folder (C:\XP)

2: Copy SP2 into another folder (C:\SP2)

3: Click "Start > Run" and type " C:\SP2\WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -x " to extract the SP2 files, choosing C:\SP2 as the target directory for the extracted files.

4: Click "Start > Run" and type " C:\SP2\i386\Update\Update.exe -S:C:\XP " to apply the service pack.

5: You now need to make a disc image of your now-updated XP/SP2. There was a link here to my old hosting, but there are plenty of howto's out there in image creation :)

6: Burn the .iso image created in to disc, and install.

Last edited:
I tried to do this on my D drive. Any way for me to edit the Iso Creator to look for the XP folder on the D drive?

nope see to do the slipstream, you need the contents of an XP CD. And so when you install it, you still will be prompted to enter the cd code, the link to the CD Image for Pro or home is just a program that helps you make an ISO.

i dont get it still..... if thats the full winxp iso then all someone would need to do is call microsoft and tell them that there installing it on a new mobo and get a new activation key..... im probably wrong again but fill me in

The programs that RedDeathDrinker has provided are only programs that use an existing XP cd copied to the hard drive and SP2 to make a new XP with Sp2 cd.

If you downloaded the files you would find that they are very small. You need a Windows XP CD to do this process, period.

the program that's linked is only used to combine your current windows xp folder(copied to hard drive and then combined with SP2) and a boot loader(if you directly copy the windows files to a cd it won't be bootable, that's why you need the program) to make a bootable Windows xp CD iso( iso is a cd image or an exact copy of the cd itself). if you do not have windows xp folder, then you will only create a iso file the size of 2MB instead of 600+MB. i hope this clears up the confusion.

Question here. "Copy your XP CD to your hard drive."

Yeah? Just like that? They don't have copy protection or something on the CD?

Oh, and what about slipstreaming Win 2k with SP4?

Edit: Problem with step 4. Immediately after I click OK after copying that into the Run box, I get a "blah blah blah has generated errors and will be closed by windows" with drwtsn32 showing an access violation.

Last edited:
Yeah? Just like that? They don't have copy protection or something on the CD?

Yup no protection, works fine.

As for step 4 are you doing this all on your drive labeled C? It must be c to work.

I did the exact same thing except I used ISO Buster to extract the boot.img from my XPpro install CD into the XP folder. When I use Nero to make a bootable CD, I'll point it to that .img and then I'll grab all the rest of the files to include in the next step.

It's so simple once you see it all layed out like this.

Great sticky RedDeathDrinker. It should make it easy-peasy for all to accomplish.

BTW I snooped around your site. Nice mountaineering pictures.

Last edited:
Well, redownloaded sp2 (yeah, all 272mb of the damn thing, anyone got the small version?) and still crashed at update.exe. Oh well. Looks like I won't be integrating SP2.

Please tell me there is a manual way to do this, because update.exe doesn't want to do anything except generate access violation errors and crash.

Last edited:
Sorin - first thing I'd look at is the possibility that something is corrupting, due to your (rather impressive) high clock speed.

Try performing the slipstream at stock speed, and let us know what happens......

Back