• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After extensive use of BFG 6800nu....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klear

I'm not impressed at all... Anyone looking to buy the 6800nu its so much better of a choice to save 100 more and get the GT.

The things I like about my card are the image quality and quake 3 mod performance is good, but overkill. This card doesn't perform well enough in doom3 or farcry at my max overclock. I plan on taking it back to best buy and getting a GT for sure. You wont be impressed with this card if you buy it. Its like you can play the big name games but really not that impressive frame rates.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend any 6800nu users but if you're expecting to be blown away with this card, just save for the GT.

klear said:
I'm not impressed at all... Anyone looking to buy the 6800nu its so much better of a choice to save 100 more and get the GT.

The things I like about my card are the image quality and quake 3 mod performance is good, but overkill. This card doesn't perform well enough in doom3 or farcry at my max overclock. I plan on taking it back to best buy and getting a GT for sure. You wont be impressed with this card if you buy it. Its like you can play the big name games but really not that impressive frame rates.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend any 6800nu users but if you're expecting to be blown away with this card, just save for the GT.

I know, i am getting a GT too. one word man, you oc-ed that thing and you are going to return it? :cool:

nakatalee said:
I know, i am getting a GT too. one word man, you oc-ed that thing and you are going to return it? :cool:

a better reply is...your going to return it because you don't like it?
I normaly return items only if it is defective, but that's me.

well, bestbuy does have a great return policy right now...but that is going to change soon.

it seems that they are going to put the names of people who return items on a list....return too many items, and they say go someplace else. :eek:

mica

yeah that is what walmart does, but i beleive bestbuy and circuitcity have a 100% satisfaction gaurantee return policy, so i woudn't feel bad for returning stuff to them

dude, I'm going to return a 300$ item to buy a 400$ item. That doesn't sound good for bestbuy? This card also came pre-overclocked with an unlimited lifetime warranty... I'm pretty sure I can return it, plus i've had it for just 2 weeks.

klear said:
dude, I'm going to return a 300$ item to buy a 400$ item. That doesn't sound good for bestbuy? This card also came pre-overclocked with an unlimited lifetime warranty... I'm pretty sure I can return it, plus i've had it for just 2 weeks.

nope, doesn't sound good for bestbuy, the manufacturer of your card, or us the consumer.

let's just say that bestbuy makes 10% profit from each card.
$30 for the 6800nu, and $40 from the 6800gt
now you return a perfictly good card, that bestbuy now has to store it in the back room (taking up space it could use for new merchandice), and then shipping it back to the manufacture at bestbuys cost.
say it costs about $7 to ship it.
sounds like a wash to me.

but wait, now your manufacture can't resell the card, once they find out it works.
at best, they could resell it as a refub part. most likely still a loss for them.

because of consumers that do this, we all have to pay higher prices because of this crap.
------

now, you also say, that you OCed it.....
sounds great if you keep it.
but your not.
btw, OCing a part past what the manufacture clocks it, voids all warrantys.

--------

maybe Ebay is a better way to get rid of a part you don't like....just a sugjestion. ;)

mica

klear said:

I agree with you 100%... I purchased a 6800NU at first, thinking it was a great bargin for the power. But it just sucked.. It offered good performance on older games, and acceptable performance on new ones.. But nothing groundbreaking in anything.. Worse, the thing has some mad 4xAA bug in some games, and was artifacting for me in Farcry. Least of all, I had graphics card envy, because owning a 6800NU I felt shortchanged by everyone that had GT's... Plus, GT sounds cooler anyway. =)

Taking my 6800NU back was the best decision I made in a long time.

Don't feel bad about returning it, its not like retailers don't rip us off everyday of the week anyway. Retail establishments overprice everything. For example, I needed to buy a Trumpet for my son, I wanted a Bach, best brand.. Retail they wanted 800$ for a TR300, on the internet, brand new, from a internet retailer, they wanted $415... WTF is that?

I've returned well over 6+ graphics cards to retailers in the last 2 years. Last month alone, I returned 3 different 6800's until I found the one I wanted. The whole reason I paid inflated retail prices for them, was so I could have the luxury of returning the ones I didn't like...

Wow, If bestbuy gets only 10% profit, then the graphics card companies aer making a score. (((now mica, this is opinion, please don't post some source that says differently and beat me down massively with your uber thread searching - ignorance is bliss man))) All the materials (including research) would, in my OPINION, make most high end cards come out to maybe $200-$300 a piece (6800 nu is very similar to 6800gt but a massive drop of $100 appears). Companies these days are just making too much money, so I doubt it will hurt either bestbuy or bfg too much (but if a billion people do it-down the toilet goes the company).

yeah I don't think its that big of a deal.. I'm 18, I work at the service desk at a retail store called ShopKo and our computer has the sku cost of all our products. We mark them up rediciously. Returning something really doesn't hurt them, its something that is a part of having a retail store and is figured in already.

Anyways, I agree with you as well... the 6800 makes u feel like i can turn it all up but you really just cant, I want the GT as I consider myself an enthusiast that jumped the gun and bought the NU :)

Kobra007 said:
I agree with you 100%... I purchased a 6800NU at first, thinking it was a great bargin for the power. But it just sucked.. It offered good performance on older games, and acceptable performance on new ones.. But nothing groundbreaking in anything.. Worse, the thing has some mad 4xAA bug in some games, and was artifacting for me in Farcry. Least of all, I had graphics card envy, because owning a 6800NU I felt shortchanged by everyone that had GT's... Plus, GT sounds cooler anyway. =)

Don't feel bad about returning it, its not like retailers don't rip us off everyday of the week anyway. Retail establishments overprice everything. For example, I needed to buy a Trumpet for my son, I wanted a Bach, best brand.. Retail they wanted 800$ for a TR300, on the internet, brand new, from a internet retailer, they wanted $415... WTF is that?

I've returned well over 6+ graphics cards to retailers in the last 2 years. Last month alone, I returned 3 different 6800's until I found the one I wanted. The whole reason I paid inflated retail prices for them, was so I could have the luxury of returning the ones I didn't like...

you were not ripped off by any retailer for that trumpet, it was your choice to pay the price offered by the store.
(now if the store gave you less change then you're suposed to get...then they did.)

I can not believe that there are so many peeps here willing to openly say they return products....and some of them might be OCed ones as well.

klear said:
This card doesn't perform well enough in doom3 or farcry at my max overclock.

I guess the train fare here in NY is too pricy also ($2.00 for a one way trip)....
maybe I should just "jump the turnstile". :rolleyes:

buddhafumes said:
Wow, If bestbuy gets only 10% profit, then the graphics card companies aer making a score. (((now mica, this is opinion, please don't post some source that says differently and beat me down massively with your uber thread searching - ignorance is bliss man))) All the materials (including research) would, in my OPINION, make most high end cards come out to maybe $200-$300 a piece (6800 nu is very similar to 6800gt but a massive drop of $100 appears). Companies these days are just making too much money, so I doubt it will hurt either bestbuy or bfg too much (but if a billion people do it-down the toilet goes the company).

it's not the point what bestbuy or any other retailer makes on an item.
the part was OCed, and may now be returned.
already, on CNN (or was it fox news) the CEO of bestbuy explained that they have no choice but to do what I said, because of such practices.

as klear said..."We mark them up rediciously. Returning something really doesn't hurt them, its something that is a part of having a retail store and is figured in already."

see, WE are already paying the price for such practices.
yet to quote ED...
People who think revenues and profits are the same thing.
by talking finances when you are financially illiterate is like attacking with no weapons. You can't oppose something unless you understand it.

tell me klear, how do you get payed?
better yet, how do you think, your store buys an item(s)...
has it shipped to it's warehouse, then to it's store(s), then pays it's employies who help stock the item, then pays the sales men, then the cashiers, then pay the light bill, then pays the gas bill(if heat is needed in winter), then buys new parts to sell?????
should I go on???
heck, by the end of the day, bestbuy is lucky if they make any money at all.

stores do take into acount that they will be shoplifted and add a price for it onto what we pay...yet does that mean that I should now steal an item each time I walk into a store?

I for one, wouldn't trust any of you if you had a part listed in the classifides...and could you blame me?

mica

Last edited:
After being in management, upper management, and executive level of a very large retail corporation, I have absolutely zero sympathy for them, regardless of what you say, my mind won't be changed. Thats from someone that was on the inside, looking out.

Speaking from my personal experiances, its all built into the system and factored in already. 15-19% allocation for Theft/damage/missing items. Another 10-15% built in as credits from manufacturers - commonly called "Allocation Credits" to cover returning items, defective or otherwise.

For example, Compaq was one of the larger companies that made the PC's we sold at the company I was in upper management in. Compaq would sell us the products at wholesale, depending on how many we purchased. Then at the end of the month on our P&Ls they would kick us back another 10-15% to cover refunds, returns, and sending them back to the manufacturer. Regardless of the level of our required allocation, the price we paid wholesale was UNCHANGED.

Its been built into the system for decades - by design - and it has nothing to do with effectually changing the retail cost of any item, nothings going to change it, and suddenly becoming a "Concerned Customer" is NOT going to change that, you need a wakeup call. I'm quite amazed there are still people out there that think big companies are looking out for them, or are concerned about them. As a former insider, I can tell you, the general corporate attitude is a 'Us vs Them" mentality towards consumers. If they can soak you, they will, so get the lowest price you can, the best warranty/guarantee, and pay using their money (IE 12 months no interest) if you are offered that (costs them another 3-6% to offer than to you).

My proceedure now when I purchase anything is:

1) Call local retailers, seek average price retail, consider tax as well, also consider no shipping charges will be needed.

2) Google search the product at internet dealers, factor shipping, but no tax, then look at the difference in retail.

3) Check auction sites (Ebay/Amazon, etc), and check pricing and shipping, and compare that with what is offered.

Then factor in out of the three, which has the best price, best service/warranty, and best product, and compromise based on that.. I can tell you, after doing that for the last 5 years, there are few products i've purchased retail locally. The graphics cards are the one exception this year, because I wanted instant access for refunding/returning the ones I didn't like. :D

Last edited:
Having the 6800nu, the 6800GT and had a 6800U, I can say that the NU is quite a bit below the 2 higher end NV products. But I am in no way dissapointed in my NU. It is what I expected which is a bit better than my old 9800XT that I sold. Considering if you have a 9800xt you could sell it and score a NU and break even its a no brainer. I thought the NU played doom fine, although not at the res the GT will do it.

I apologise in advance for you taking such offence to me returning something but my mind has not been altered one bit about how I view large retailers. BestBuy has a system as does all large retail chains that records how many returns you've done and how much they were for and how rapidly they were done. If you're returning too many things too fast, the system will not let the service desk clerk return the item. Its a controlled environment and I believe that I am a fairly loyal customer to bestbuy, I buy games, mice, movies, cds, and various other electronics from them. If everyone spent as much money as I do at bestbuy they would be the microsoft of the electronics retail industry.

If I decide to not eat a cheeseburger today, thats not going to save a cow, its already been killed, if i didn't eat it someone else would have or it would have been thrown out.

A retailer that actually looks out for customers and tries to give them the best deal would in turn not make any money. They are in business to make money. Since BestBuy has enough money to pay a college student to greet customers every day, I do not pitty them what so ever.

Kobra007 said:

Things like this rip off the consumer. I can't beleive people do things like this. Have I ever returned a video card to a retail manufacturer? Yes, but only to CompUSA. How is this any different from anyone else you might ask? Whenever I buy an expensive component that I may have problems with in the future due to overclocking or anything else that would void a warrenty I buy it from CompUSA, I do this because when buying the component I also pay a premium for a 2 year return policy. I pay roughly $75 extra for a 1 time exchange on an item. I only do this through CompUSA and like I said, I pay a pretty high premium for this service. And in the past 2 years I have only returned 1 video card. I have had video cards that have gone through the two years without having to return them for any reason, and thus CompUSA gets a free $75. I would never and have never been a casual returner, and if I ever have had a legitimate defect I always return it to the manufacturer and not the retail store. Most mfg's ask you to return merchandise directly to them instead of through the retailer because it helps to prevent un needed costs. It's a disapoinment to know that people abuse society in such a manner, and then attempt to justify it. If everyone had the same mindset and practices then most merchandise would be about 10x what it is now. I've known too many people that always think that they deserve more than they are offered, and will take advantage of the person standing next to them in line because of this. In my honest opinion it's just a form of theivery, even if indirectly.

-Myhre

Kobra007 said:
After being in management, upper management, and executive level of a very large retail corporation, I have absolutely zero sympathy for them, regardless of what you say, my mind won't be changed. Thats from someone that was on the inside, looking out.

Speaking from my personal experiances, its all built into the system and factored in already. 15-19% allocation for Theft/damage/missing items. Another 10-15% built in as credits from manufacturers - commonly called "Allocation Credits" to cover returning items, defective or otherwise.

For example, Compaq was one of the larger companies that made the PC's we sold at the company I was in upper management in. Compaq would sell us the products at wholesale, depending on how many we purchased. Then at the end of the month on our P&Ls they would kick us back another 10-15% to cover refunds, returns, and sending them back to the manufacturer. Regardless of the level of our required allocation, the price we paid wholesale was UNCHANGED.

Its been built into the system for decades - by design - and it has nothing to do with effectually changing the retail cost of any item, nothings going to change it, and suddenly becoming a "Concerned Customer" is NOT going to change that, you need a wakeup call. I'm quite amazed there are still people out there that think big companies are looking out for them, or are concerned about them. As a former insider, I can tell you, the general corporate attitude is a 'Us vs Them" mentality towards consumers. If they can soak you, they will, so get the lowest price you can, the best warranty/guarantee, and pay using their money (IE 12 months no interest) if you are offered that (costs them another 3-6% to offer than to you).

My proceedure now when I purchase anything is:

1) Call local retailers, seek average price retail, consider tax as well, also consider no shipping charges will be needed.

2) Google search the product at internet dealers, factor shipping, but no tax, then look at the difference in retail.

3) Check auction sites (Ebay/Amazon, etc), and check pricing and shipping, and compare that with what is offered.

Then factor in out of the three, which has the best price, best service/warranty, and best product, and compromise based on that.. I can tell you, after doing that for the last 5 years, there are few products i've purchased retail locally. The graphics cards are the one exception this year, because I wanted instant access for refunding/returning the ones I didn't like. :D

Do you honestly think that the prices weren't elevated in the first place? Just because you never saw them raised doesn't mean that they didn't charge extra. How do you think the Goverment gets taxes from that Gas you buy? It's called a hidden tax, and it's all the rage. :bang head

klear said:
I apologise in advance for you taking such offence to me returning something but my mind has not been altered one bit about how I view large retailers. BestBuy has a system as does all large retail chains that records how many returns you've done and how much they were for and how rapidly they were done. If you're returning too many things too fast, the system will not let the service desk clerk return the item. Its a controlled environment and I believe that I am a fairly loyal customer to bestbuy, I buy games, mice, movies, cds, and various other electronics from them. If everyone spent as much money as I do at bestbuy they would be the microsoft of the electronics retail industry.

If I decide to not eat a cheeseburger today, thats not going to save a cow, its already been killed, if i didn't eat it someone else would have or it would have been thrown out.

A retailer that actually looks out for customers and tries to give them the best deal would in turn not make any money. They are in business to make money. Since BestBuy has enough money to pay a college student to greet customers every day, I do not pitty them what so ever.

Your right about one thing, you shouldn't pity Best Buy the Conglomerate. You should pity the consumers and the low level employees that reckless disregard tends to hurt the most. Look at Enron, look at K-Mart. Who got hurt the worst? I'll assure you it wasn't the corporate officers. One of K-Marts CEO's bought a $5,000,000 house in Florida and fully furnished it right before K-Mart as well as himself declared bankruptcy.....why? because they couldn't seize the accets in Florida. Do you know how many people lost tons of money due to what the Corp. Heads of K-Mart have done? I can honestly tell you that our company has lost over 20,000 per year because of K-Marts Bankruptcy. And as for Enron? Pity the poor souls that had faith in the ethics of those fools.

-Myhre

klear said:

first let me be clear (as I understand that I'm sometimes not so clear), I do not feel sorry for or have any simpathy for BESTBUY.
after all, they do have basicly a realy nice 30 day return policy on most items, and should be used if needed or wanted.

a good example is what happened to me last month when I got a matrix DVD that was not "wide screen" and I took it back the next day (unopened) and got the one I wanted.
they were nice, and exchanged it fast....and I'm happy.

I too buy a lot from them, and from time to time, I may have to return something.
mostly it's because something is not working, yet I may also buy the wrong thing.
if that said thing is not the correct item, it is returned for my money, or I get something else.
I am no better or worse then any other normal costomer, or consumor by this action(s).

yet I also don't abuse such pollicys as to return 3 video cards in order to get the highest OCing card I can.
not soley because it could hurt the store....but because it could hurt YOU the consumer. (and us as a community)

let me also be clear on something, I'm in no way trying to change your mind in anyway.
if you feel that you have a "right" to return that item, then do so....be my guest. ;)

yet you did tamper with that said part, voiding all warrentys....
and I highly dought that you will tell bestbuy that you tampered with that said part, and that my friend is a deseptive practice I can never condone.
it is a form of theft or an abuse of policy, AFAIK.

AND IT SHOULD NOT BE BRAGGED ABOUT IN THIS FORUM, IMHO.

seems Im not the only one who thinks that this IS a form of theivery....
but who realy gets hurt by theivery?
bestbuy? no.
it's you. (and me.)
you are already paying a price for this, and now it seems that some are willing to make it worse because of there own selfish reasons.

as I've said before, just because some people "jump the turnstyle" to get a free ride on the NY subway....does that mean I should do it?
after all, the train still is going to go down the same track as if I payed to ride it, right?
and what is a $2.00 loss of fair realy going to do to the MTA anyway?
it's not like them big fat pigs realy need MY two bills, right?
so what if people who work for the MTA can't get a raise this year, or if the health care that they once had gets reduced?
who cares if people get laid off and now can't feed thier kids?
so what if the amount of trains get reduced, and the same amount of ridership now has to sit on the top of the train because there is no room inside? lol
so what if the tracks need fixing in order to keep it's riders safe, it's not like my $2.00 helps, does it?
so if I "jump the turnstyle", it's not like I'm realy effecting anyone, right?
it's not like I'm a thief?
since it's not a violent crime, it's not like I'm hurting anyone...right?
and after all, it's not like other people don't do it...so why can't I?
and if I too deside, not to eat a cheeseburger and have an apple instead, while I jump that turnstyle, at least I'm doing something good for my body, right?

dude, bestbuy will never get hurt by the practices, your talking about....
it's the emplyies, thier familys, the manufactrers emplyies and thier familys, and "US" that get hurt by it.

it's not like you realy mind if some person who gets laid off because of such practices, and then robs your home to feed his kids, right?

theivery is still theivery.
abuseive practices is still abusive practices.
and what goes around, comes around.

just my two cents, and should be taken lightly.... ;)

mica

wow this thread has become political just because someone isnt happy with the 6800nu? maybe it was a sidegrade to his 9800pro/xt? It does not need to be bad to be returned. I had a 9800 pro but wasnt happy so I just resold it on ebay cause I want a 9500np that overclocks better

This is being blown quite out of proportion. I'm quite sure that the major retailers are one step ahead of those who abuse the return policy, as if they weren't, they wouldn't be a major retailer. I wasn't allowed to try this product before I bought it, now that I've seen the quality is far from that which I require, I'm going to return this card and spend even more money on a card that costs nearly the same to produce so I can be happy with my insignificant nuisance that I call my framerate.

I am not stealing, nor doing anything dishonest. Would you really think the service desk clerk cares if I overclocked it? Or will they even know what that means? I'm sure a product that has been returned simply because they were going to buy something even more expensive is the least of bestbuy's problems. If it was a problem, a clause would be added to the policy to prevent a loss.

I am 18 years old and I don't drive like a maniac but I still pay 150$ a month for liability insurance because of what other kids my age have done. The insurance company is ripping me off because of what the statistics say and I have never been in an accient or even cost my insurance company a dime... Where does the rest of that money go, sir?

All major retailers have played their cards right, which means finding interesting and effective ways to drain you, the consumer. I knowingly accept these terms and STILL shop there, usually to avoid shipping because I'm an impulsive teenager. There are plenty more like me, bestbuy and their employee's are here to stay, reguardless of my decision to return and spend more.

As stated previously, any flaw in the return policy that allows abuse is sure to be changed or added to. They've already covered their tail... have you?

Oh by the way i'm not frickin bragging about returning something, as if anyone cares. I'm simply stating what I plan on doing and heck, maybe I'll find something with this GT that will make other GT users have a better experience... So kiss my feet all you GT users! laugh :)

I officially withdraw all the comment that i have on this thread. Cheers :beer:
one word, Just get the GT man, i am getting mine now.

Back