• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comprehensive Windows-based Antivirus Poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which Antivirus do you use on your PC(s)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
NOTICE: This poll and thread is outdated. It is not advisable to use this as a current reference.

Due to considerable demand in LutaWicasa's recent thread, and the results being fairly evenly split between Norton and Other AV software, this is an extension of that poll... These are all the AV products listed in that thread, other than the two big names Symantec and Mcafee. (There is a 10 option limit)

This poll is public, you can see who voted for what.

Last edited:
^^^

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Also testing out eTrust, and it's pretty good, but I'm still an AVG fan at heart =)
JigPu

Kaspersky..i like it because it scans through zip files and everyting..i had PC-Cillin b4 but it sucked...after i unistalled it and put kaspersky i found 4 virus pc cillin didnt find...my only complaint would be that it takes up too much resources...could anyone tell me how avg is on resources? it seems to be a popular one

I used to run Norton myself, and recommended it to all my customers, that has since changed in the last few years, as I've realized Norton is HORRIBLY bloated and slow, not to mention the fact that it routinely lets viruses, trojans, and other malware through - even on a completely up-to-date version with the latest definitions.

I know recommend/install AVG on most customer's computers, unless they tell me otherwise. It seems to catch more than Norton ever did/would, and it isn't a resource hog.

I'm glad you made this poll IMOG, I looked at the other one, and thought "um.. there's going to be ALOT of other..." ;)

oso_fast said:
...could anyone tell me how avg is on resources? it seems to be a popular one
AVG is very easy on the resources. That's one of the reasons that I love it so. ;)

Yes indeed, from what I can tell, it only uses between 5-7mb of RAM, and no CPU unless it's scanning something, and even then it only appears to use 10%-30% or so of my processing power.

Thanks for this poll. I'll go check out AVG now, and get rid of this apparently worthless Norton. :)

Is there are reason why Norton or McAfee aren't listed?

I do agree that NAV tends to be bloated, but from a network admin perspecitve it works well. I currenlty have Symantec Enterprise (NAV & Web Filtering) running on 100+ client computers and servers all updating through one local server, and I haven't had any problems with ANY viruses coming through. All in all Symantec puts out a good product.

Just my .02, please bash away.

I'm using Nod32 all around, I have tried out several av programs, Norton's, Mcafee, Panda, AVG(free and pro) and none can do the job as well as NOD32 in my books. Its fast and works great.

bluediamond said:
Is there are reason why Norton or McAfee aren't listed?

I do agree that NAV tends to be bloated, but from a network admin perspecitve it works well. I currenlty have Symantec Enterprise (NAV & Web Filtering) running on 100+ client computers and servers all updating through one local server, and I haven't had any problems with ANY viruses coming through. All in all Symantec puts out a good product.

Just my .02, please bash away.

Yes there was another poll in the Software section, which only listed McAfee, Norton, and "Other", so this poll here was created to find out what the "other" was.

JDXNC said:
I'm using Nod32 all around, I have tried out several av programs, Norton's, Mcafee, Panda, AVG(free and pro) and none can do the job as well as NOD32 in my books. Its fast and works great.

Except that there is no NOD32 version that's free, at least as far as I can see. They do have a time-limited version, but no absolute free version.

Mr. Chambers said:
Yes there was another poll in the Software section, which only listed McAfee, Norton, and "Other", so this poll here was created to find out what the "other" was.

Thank you. I appreciate not having to repeat that - I had already mentioned this in the thread starting post, so I'm glad you caught it, or just understood anyways and explained for me. :)

:D

I may try AVG actually, but I voted for Norton in the other thread as that is what I use now at home, and we use mcafee at work but have seen a lot of problems with it (the case could be the same if we used norton, dunno).

This is actually kind of annoying, because without voting I have to manually click the result link to see the results everytime I check back here. :-/

I.M.O.G. said:
:D

I may try AVG actually, but I voted for Norton in the other thread as that is what I use now at home, and we use mcafee at work but have seen a lot of problems with it (the case could be the same if we used norton, dunno).

This is actually kind of annoying, because without voting I have to manually click the result link to see the results everytime I check back here. :-/

Well I'll tell you, I just gave up on Norton this past year. I used to recommend it all the time, to all who asked, customers or otherwise, but now it's a different story. It just feels so bloated and slow after using other programs, and it seems to just let viruses through, plain and simple...

It also seems to get "broken" more easily than other programs, has anyone else every noticed that? I've had countless machines come into the shop where the liveupdate function refused to work, or automatic protection mode won't enable, and after going to symantec's website, the final solution was to reinstall the whole AV program.

OK, so be it, no big deal. Except when you try to uninstall it, it won't uninstall correctly. You then have to go through PAGES of manual file and service and registry key deletion to get the dang thing out from all corners and depths of your OS.

Now this could be just my own luck/stupidity. And I don't purposely bash Norton, as I said, I used it for years. I could probably be fine without an AV program, as I've never gotten a virus on my personal machines in the history of forever. Client's PC's are another story however, as I'm sure you know - and I like AVG because of it's features, ability to catch the viruses, and its downloadable unlimited/free updates.

/goes to bed

Mr. Chambers said:
Except that there is no NOD32 version that's free, at least as far as I can see. They do have a time-limited version, but no absolute free version.

Its also not as expensive as Norton or Mcafee products, so it kinda stands middle ground. IMHO its worth every dollar.

Mr. Chambers said:
Well I'll tell you, I just gave up on Norton this past year. I used to recommend it all the time, to all who asked, customers or otherwise, but now it's a different story. It just feels so bloated and slow after using other programs, and it seems to just let viruses through, plain and simple...

It also seems to get "broken" more easily than other programs, has anyone else every noticed that? I've had countless machines come into the shop where the liveupdate function refused to work, or automatic protection mode won't enable, and after going to symantec's website, the final solution was to reinstall the whole AV program.

OK, so be it, no big deal. Except when you try to uninstall it, it won't uninstall correctly. You then have to go through PAGES of manual file and service and registry key deletion to get the dang thing out from all corners and depths of your OS.

Now this could be just my own luck/stupidity. And I don't purposely bash Norton, as I said, I used it for years. I could probably be fine without an AV program, as I've never gotten a virus on my personal machines in the history of forever. Client's PC's are another story however, as I'm sure you know - and I like AVG because of it's features, ability to catch the viruses, and its downloadable unlimited/free updates.

/goes to bed

Thats pretty much what I expected - that is pretty much exactly my experience with mcafee in the office.

I'll be trying out AVG... But first I need to repair windows installer. I was running at a lower cas than normal for a few days, and a bunch of things got corrupted, and I think windows installer was one of them. Its required to remove norton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back