• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hitachi Vs Samsung Vs Western Digital 160gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stingeragent

Well, I've decided to upgrade from my ancient 13gb hard drive and get a 160. Can't decide on which brand though. I've always used western digital and had no problems, and don't have much experience with those other 2 manufacturers. From what I've read lately though, many people have problems with the newer (aka bigger HD's then I've had) drives from WD. I have read that most people don't have complaints on Hitachi and some people have either have soley good experiences or bad ones with samsung. The exact models in question are as follows.

Western Digital WD1600JB 160gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer EIDE
Hitachi HDS722516VLAT80 160gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer EIDE
Samsung SP1614N 160gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer EIDE

The specs are obviously pretty much the same, and the price for all three hovers around 95.00 shipped. So from here is it just a matter of eeny-meeny-miny-mo or is one clearly better than the other two? Thanks.

I have a pair of Hatachi 160's (8mb cache)and they are pretty decent and came with a great price tag at 91 per drive when newegg had them onsale.

Hitachi and wd's are great. Sammys are still good.. but they dont hold the perforamace levels compaired to the other brands AFAIK.

I would look to get either drive basied apon price.

Back