• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does dBA add up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

envy

Well, as the title states...does dBA add up at all? Or will the noise of my computer be equal to say, my loudest fan?

well, you won't hear the fans that our quieter than your loudest fan but i think it does add up to a certain extent...think if you had one tornado and a million vantec stealth fans.....you probably wouldn't hear the tornado

Think of it this way, if you had 5 30dBA fans, and it added up to 150dBA which would be like a loud speaker in your face.

haha..good point then, so it adds up to a certain extent.. Anyone have any idea how much? Just out of curiosity

1 30dB fan = 30dB
2 30dB fans = 33dB
4 30dB fans = 36dB

It adds about 3 dB each time you double sound pressure, so I'm told.

squirtle632 said:
BUT if you had a 40db fan and a 30db fan.............
Would it not be 41.5db?

well lets see.

if I recall, bels are log10(sound energy) - that is, a sound 1 bel louder has 10 times the sound energy (and "sounds" about twice as loud.)

40 dB = log10(X), X units of sound energy.
30 dB = log10(X)-1 = log10(X/10), X/10 units of sound energy.

add them you get X * 1.1 units of sound energy.

log10(X*1.1) = log10(X)+log10(1.1) = 40 dB + 0.041 dB = 40.04 dB

so yes the loudest sound very much dominates. Adding a 30 dB sound source to a 40 dB sound source would be completely unnoticeable.

the wesson

yep, its like my mom starts yelling with my 100+dba guitar amp on :D
Even a vacuum (about 80dba) cannot be heard over my guitar amps
thats a real world situation for ya :)
i made a proggy a while ago that adds up dbA, cuz logs are hard and annoying (well.. atleast in calculus they are)
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1129/

well ive been around a system with a vantec tornado rated for 55db and i have a 175mm server fan thats rated for 55db but i can tell you the tornado is way way way more annoying. its high pitched, but the server fan is really deep.

so if im going to listen to something loud then i would rather have it be deep then high pitched

TheWesson already gave a good math description of why it doesn't add up to be that much louder, but I think you will be able to hear it at a greater distance. Now this just may be me making stuff up, because I'm too lazy to look up the physics equations, but... I think the more lets say 30 db sources you have the farther away you will be able to hear them, although they will not sound that much louder than a single source.

Real world example: football stadium; there are 50,000 people cheering after a touchdown; the sound of that is not much louder than if there were just a few people next to you cheering, however you can probobly hear it from a half mile away at the back of the stadium parking lot, whereas if it were just a few people cheering you would not be able to hear it from that far

DaveHCYJ said:
Real world example: football stadium; there are 50,000 people cheering after a touchdown; the sound of that is not much louder than if there were just a few people next to you cheering, however you can probobly hear it from a half mile away at the back of the stadium parking lot, whereas if it were just a few people cheering you would not be able to hear it from that far

Interesting, sounds plausible to me anyway :)

Thanks guys that clears it up a bit, that was something i'd always wondered about... :santa:

Oh and PaintPro... Welcome to the Forums!!!

A decibel is a logarithmic function that is proportional to a power with a base of 10. This means that the higher number represent far more energy than the lower numbers.

Take a look at this:
10^0=1
10^1=10
10^2=100
10^3=1000
10^4=10000

The dbA rating is like the 1,2,3,4 in the above. Using the above example, something with a rating of 2 combined with something else with a rating of 2, will give a total energy level of 200...not 10000. So 2 + 2 would equal 2.3 (the log of 200)

But remember that dB value is all about _energy_ of sound. (W/m^2 I think)

Example to prove what I'm trying to say:
Does a room look twice as lit up with a 120w lightbulb than with a 60w ?

The energy might have doubbled, but the fan(s) doesn't sound twice as high.
I've heard that +6 dBA sounds about doubble as loud.
--------
And also you have dB A, B, C and so on that indicates what range of freq. is messured.

JohnDoemakt said:
But remember that dB value is all about _energy_ of sound. (W/m^2 I think)

Example to prove what I'm trying to say:
Does a room look twice as lit up with a 120w lightbulb than with a 60w ?

The energy might have doubbled, but the fan(s) doesn't sound twice as high.
I've heard that +6 dBA sounds about doubble as loud.
--------
And also you have dB A, B, C and so on that indicates what range of freq. is messured.

for humans 10db difference is interpreted as twice as loud.

Back