• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FINAL CHECK STAGE = What do YOU think of my selected hardware? What would you change?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xdrive

FINAL CHECK STAGE = What do YOU think of my selected hardware? What would you change?

How does this look for a budget gaming rig? Of course, I am planning to OC. :)

Newegg =

RAIDMAX 10-BAY ATX MID-TOWER CASE847WTP

ABIT NF7-S

BUFFALO PC3700

NEC 1.44MB FLOPPY

HITACHI 160GB HDD

ARCTIC SILVER 5

Excalibur PC -

45w Mobile 2600+ guaranteed "I" stepping

I already have everything else I need = including cd-rom drive, SLK900a, Vantec Tornado, keyboard, mouse, monitor, videocard, etc.

I greatly appreciate all help and recommendations! Please remember that I'm on a very tight budget and this is almost pushing my wallet too far. So I want to make the best out of what I can afford. :)

I have to go to bed now, will check on this in a matter of hours...

Last edited:
Nevermind, didnt read well enough. Looks good to me. What do you need a floppy drive for? I have like 8 I use as paperweights.

dicecca112 said:
looks good to me. and good luck.

Thank you! :attn:

Oh, I need a floppy because... well... I might need to update my bios or something... and uhh... well the one I have is a p.o.s. and never worked at all! Might come in handy.. I dunno. :D

Looks like you've done your research. A minor point, but If I were serious about my computer, I wouldn't trust that raidmax power supply too long. Don't get me wrong, it'll probably work just fine, but I would replace it with an antec or fortron in the near future.

Bios24 said:
Looks like you've done your research. A minor point, but If I were serious about my computer, I wouldn't trust that raidmax power supply too long. Don't get me wrong, it'll probably work just fine, but I would replace it with an antec or fortron in the near future.

Yeah, I have a feeling I'll end up doing that. But I think I'll see what the stock one can do first.

Are you guys sure that memory I put at the top is best compatable for the NF7-s? Seldomsean over at EXTREMEocers posted the following:

"That buffolo is CH-5...I think you will have better luck with the Micron -5BC
chips..The CH-5 has a voltage limiter and you need atleast 3.0Vdimm to
get them going.Your board only goes to 2.9...Thats something to think
about.. My CH-5 needs 3.2 to get them going
Buffolo has the 3700 with Micron -5BC which is the same chips as OCZ EB

-Sean"

I don't know if I'll be able to push those volts very easily to get that Buffalo going. Would anyone here plz recommend the best memory for my setup at $125 or under? I really appreciate it! Thanks! :)

PS: would THIS be worthwile?

well, i know epox boards have been coming with a utility to flash the bios in windows for about 2 years now, i duno about any other companies though. If someone else could say yes or no, that would be great, im kinda curious myself. Personally, i ditched the floppy about 2.5 years ago, and havent looked back since.

tornado warning

you did your research very well... except.....

do you have ANY IDEA how loud the tornado is?????
read this thread here. trust me, you HAVE TO get a fan controller for it if you want to fall asleep in the same room, or even in the next room over...

other than that, the system looks AWESOME... out of curiousity, what video card will you be using?

Back