• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How would you upgrade to Athlon 64? (Poll Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How do you Athlon64?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maxvla

Credit ~ hitechjb1

for more information about choices and the resulting conversation please see this thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=299277&page=1&pp=30

You may select multiple options but please limit this to 2 so the poll retains credibility and accuracy. All voting MUST be done in the first instance. You will not be able to re-enter the poll to add choices later.

This poll will close on August 31st 2004. At this time the A64 situation we be re-examined and updated choices will be produced for a following poll.

1. Build and stay with 754 system only
754 2800+/3000+/3200+ NewCastle/ClawHammer
250 GB or K8T800 Pro motherboard (w/o PCI-e)
around $400, have price performance A64 all the time, but not top end A64
Price drop end of July 2004 for 754, 939 CPU, cost becomes $300 - 350.

2. Build 754 system now, rebuild a "better" 939 system later
754 2800+/3000+
250 GB or K8T800 Pro motherboard (w/o PCI-e) around $400
Price drop end of July 2004 for 754, 939 CPU, cost becomes $300 - 350.

"Better" is up to your interpretation, e.g. it may mean 939 with PCI-e.
Year end/early next year, ebay above get $200 back
939 3xxx+ (low PR 939)
motherboard with PCI-e at that time
around $500
net $400 - $200 + 500 = $700, have A64 all the time, last into 2005 year end

3. Use existing system, build a "better" 939 system later
Existing system = nforce2 + xp/barton or whatever currently using
"Better" is up to your interpretation, e.g. it may mean 939 with PCI-e.
Towards year end/early next year
939 3xxx+ (low PR 939)
motherboard with PCI-e at that time
around $500, but missing A64 for half a year, last into 2005 year end
(possibly ebay existing system for some money back)

4. Build "any" 939 system as soon as parts available
939 3500+
motherboard w/o PCI-e around $650
"Any" is up to your interpretation, e.g. it may mean 939 without PCI-e to get 939 up and running ASAP.
** if 939 motherboard has PCI-e, this choice would become more favorable for lasting into 2005 year end
Price drop end of July 2004 for 754, 939 CPU, cost becomes $500.

5. Wait for 939 90nm
939 90 nm
motherboard with PCI-e

6. Wait for dual-core A64 system

7. Wait for DDR2
DDR2 memory modules
This would most likely be towords end of 2005 (if it happens)

8. Wait for PCI-Express to become more prevalent
more motherboard and expansion card selection to suit your needs better

9. Other (please describe)

Last edited:
im still waiting for it all to mature, i don't want to jump into it too fast. my p4 system seems to still be chugging along :)

Even though the max choice = 2, once I exited the poll with only 1 choice, I cannot reenter the poll again to make the second choice.

If this is true, please spell out clearly in the first post that
max choice = 2
but all choices have to be done in one single polling session.

My position is unchanged - still waiting for the next round of cuts on the 939 when the 3500+ is expected to be below USD250, before upgrading to 939. With any luck as AMD have brought forward the first round of cuts by a month hopefully the next round will be a month early as well i.e October rather than November.

I'd personally buy a 754 system now, and wait about a year and get new stuff then.

My choice remains the same. S939 A64 3500+ and a MSI K8N Neo2 Plat. nForce3 Ultra looks very appealing right now but I don't have the cash. Plus I guess it would be better to wait until November for the next round of price cuts. But If I wait till then...I might as well wait till December for the first S939 90nm Winchesters and nForce4 boards with PCI-E. So I chose the option to wait for 90nm A64s.

AMD is not going 90nm with the FX-55...San Diego w/ 90nm will come in the FX-57 slated to come out in 2005.

i picked stay with current system and upgrade to 939 later.

personally, i'm waiting for soundstorm 2. i use dolby digital with optical out on my current soundstorm. it rocks and i don't really feel like buying a soundcard when i can just wait a few months and get new kickass sound on a kickass mobo with 6 sata ports and tonnes of other cool features. plus 939 prices should be fairly decent by then so i can get a low clocked one and just oc.

my system is pretty damn good right now anyway. i will probably be much more eager to upgrade when windows 64bit is out and showing the great performance that 64bit is expected to bring.

I picked waiting for PCI-e. Actualy I'm waiting for Nforce4 but I thought that was the closest chioce. By then hopefully 939 chips will be more affordable.

Socket 939, A64 3800+, Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939.....

Getting CPU today, MB in about a week (HOPEFULLY!!!!)

Boy a i glad i waited for the price drop...my 3800 came down by $100!!!

Im not going to bother with PCIe for about a year or so....theres going to be no noticable difference for AGES!!!

buy a 32 bit with the best graphix card and crap then change out just the chip and board in about two years

my system seems good for now, I want to wait till FX's are affordable or A64 come way down in price.... ( or if someone needs me to build them a computer and i can get a free upgrade ) i figure this system will last me for another 1 - 2 years although my o/c pretty much sucks!!!! hardly hit 2.3 ghz!

Well one thing in youre computer that i doubt will last 1-2 more years is the ti4200 that thing is Old, i bet youll prob have to play Doom3 @ 640x480 with that card.

ya, i am thinking about getting a 9800 pro for it when i can afford it. that card even fully o/c'ed will not play GTA Vice City %100 smooth and i really want to get doom 3... i think a 9800 shouldnt have a prob.

pantner said:
Im not going to bother with PCIe for about a year or so....theres going to be no noticable difference for AGES!!!

I'm waiting for PCI-E for exactly that reason - it will be slightly more future proofed. Will only have to upgrade the graphics card, not the mother board.

I voted for using current system and wait for PCI-E on S939.

Last edited:
Back