• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is "pwns"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

What the hell does pwns mean?

Is it one of those stupid h4x0r words, like 1337 or teh?

Sorry if I offend any h4x0rs ....

So I'm led to believe to own something means to be excelling in a multiplayer game where your opposition is loosing?

Quattro said:
So I'm led to believe to own something means to be excelling in a multiplayer game where your opposition is loosing?

Or you kill them in some really cool fashion. Like priming a grenade, hitting them which sends them flying into the air, and then you finish them off with a headshot while they are airborne :D

While we're on the subject..... someone tell me was '1337' means. I see it everyplace, and should probaby know it by now.

looks like "leet" which sounds like "elite"....and really means "I'm a very uneducated teen/pre-teen who plays way too many video games." *from websters dictionary*

Go here ***** Great stuff :p

Edit: Bad language in this movie. Sorry for not warning sooner :eh?:

Which means it does not go in this forum. -Ridenow

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be a law against making up stupid words.

Lets see.
We got.

h4x0r
pwned
teh
r0x0r

What other dumb words do they use while playing CS?

I don't see too much wrong with those words unless you're using them in a serious way. My liscence plate says 1337 because I thought it was funny. My wife was actually the one that wanted it on there. Next time we go in for registration she wants to get "ubrl337" on hers. It's just funny. My friends and I use "owned" or "pwned" sometimes back and forth to each other.

Like I said though, it's not bad when you're using it specifically for a laugh. It seems the same people it bothers are the same people who get angry about kids riding skateboards on shopping mall sidewalks. Or think that the bass coming from the car next to him rediculous and yearns for the days of 8-track.

I just think it's sad that people take games so seriously that they have to invent their own little language. Having it on your plate would be cool to some people.

I like bass, skateboarders don't bother me.

What the hell is an 8-Track?

1337 and h@x0r is / was used more so in the so called
"i cant talk about it because it is illegal" scene

:D

i think they are just more slang words, no worse then DUDE!!!! " RAD MAN!!!!" ..lol

as for

teh - i think that is just a typo - and if anything i invented it...lol - i make that mistake so much

:D

LOL.

It's just strange because slang in generally a short version of a normal word or phrase.

Example Are you okay?
Would not be used here in Essex, UK. Instead people just say "Alright?".

It's easier and shorter.
H4x0r means someone who cheats right?
I'm sure it takes longer to write h4x0r than it does to type "u suck", plus it looks less of a computer geek, it also looks pretty immature and uneducated.

Is there a minimum amount of l337 required to reply to this thread?

l337 is part of our new culture. Spawned by people with a little too much time on their hands, poor typing skills, or both. You may not like l337, but I have a feeling it's here to stay.

I agree. But I hate the way people have started using it in chat rooms and messenger.
It really annoys me. I assume this is h4x0r too.

i Am r3@77Y @|\||\|0Y1Ng Y0u w17h dI5 $7up1d t3xt...

This is the sort of thing you see on AOL profiles...

AEsnowboarding said:
Go here ************ Great stuff :p

OMG. That is hilarious. That is exactly the kind of people that play CS. In fact, that might be my cousin. LOL

JoT: The link had to be removed because of language issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Needitcooler said:
OMG. That is hilarious. That is exactly the kind of people that play CS. In fact, that might be my cousin. LOL

That's odd. I have a friend who is exactly like that.

Every time he gets killed he blames the other person for cheating...
So he goes and gets an aimbot so he can be 1337 with his super-gay cheating buddies.

Please note: The reference to gays was not intentionally meant to be offensive towards homosexuals. Only kids who use h4x0r.

Back