• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Need some help setting up my SATA Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

I got me a WD 120gb SATA HD. I booted into winXP and the new drive does not show up. I ran the "Via_RaidTool.exe" program and I can see the WD listed. How do I get access to the drive to format it and use it. I have never had a SATA drive but I do know that I do not need a raid set up for this single drive. Why is it not showing up w/ my other drives?

The two other drives installed are Maxtor 30gigs on the Promise controller. They show up as usual.
The MOBO is a SOYO KT600 Dragon Plus(via Chipset of course).
Thanks!

Last edited:
Alright... go to your desktop... Right click on My Computer and select the Manage option from the menu. In the left pane you should see a section labeled Disk Management. Click on it. There you should see the new drive. Right click on it and select Format. Format it to NTFS. Now right click it again and select Change drive letters and path. Change the drive letter to whatever you want, then click ok. The drive should show up. If you have any questions... please add it in this thread

You are the best!!!

Worked like a charm.

One more question. Both my roomie and I have the same mobo but diff drives. His is a regular 120 gb on a Promise controler and mine of course is a sata. we both get 110 gb from a 120 gb drive..why is that?

You're welcome... I'm glad it worked out for you!

As for your second question... here's what I found on google:

1GB as interpreted by the OS is actually defined as 1,073,741,824 Bytes. Now, if you multiply that number w/ 111, you'll get 119,185,342,464; which is approximately 120GB, the number the HDD marketing dept. used on the drive's packaging. This is, of course, as a result of the fact that two number systems are used: binary and decimal. The computer works in binary, but the number looks more impressive in decimal.

Found HERE

Back