• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide to 6800 "GT" -> "Ultra" Bios Flash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Several guyz already tried this flash, and let me say they're in posession of $400+ paperweights now.

Unless it's a proven experiment that will not make anymore expensive paperweights, i would'nt try it.

Oh yeah, someone wanting to do this flash and asked the person who did the flash and kill his card, he said after killing it: "Can't make an omlet without breaking a few eggs"

.....there's one born evry minute.

I just flashed my ARTIFACTING 6800GT (see my thread) and it posted fine. Of course I can't test anything since my 6800GT is giving me a hard time, it didn't seem to have broke anything.

^^^ how can you boot to dos when the video card post occurs before booting up? it is not possible.... if your vid card is not booting - you can not get into dos on that system.

you would need a PCI card.

i wouldn't flash unless your using a 3rd party cooler. the voltage from 1.3 to 1.4 is going to overwhelm the stock GT heatsink/fan.

thanks for the heads up! k question!

Q:is this just for nvidia referance design cards only?

the reason im asking i have been looking into the Albatron FX6800GT pretty hard and seems they are making there own desighn! (im an active member of Albatron Singapore. on there forums, one of there tech reps over the forums stated that Albotron is not using the NVIDIA referance sesighn for the GT version?)anyway differant card desighn, differant bios?

i guess we will see? i plan on volt modding the card anyways so the only real advantage to me would be the titer memory timings! but on the other hand it could be a down fall? tighter timings means less overclock in most cases!even though youre gaining bandwith with titer timeings, sometimes a higher overclock can gane you even more bandwith!

i myself would rather run 1500mhz on looser memory timings than 1200mhz on tite ones! some may beg to differ!

oc_byagi said:
did you try the bios hack yet?
nope not doing anything till i get rid of this POS hs, really disappointed in it, its so dinky compared to the ultra

GT:
6800gt-cooler1.jpg

ULTRA:

Attachments

• imageview.php.jpg
    imageview.php.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 5,206
hmmm what dissapoint you so much??? just the cooling??? I'll be getting vga silencer rev 4 either way so I'm fine with GT. (plus ultra costs over $600 at the moment)

ok, flashed GT to Ultra, no artifacts so far, looking great.

UPDATE: Gained 800 POINtS IN 3DM2003 just from BIOS. yay :bday:

Last edited:
btw, if you're editing your own bios, DON'T FORGET TO NVCHK.exe THE FILE WHEN YOU'RE DONE

nvchk.exe write a new checksum for the file, without which, will result in a no-post (bios chksum error)

_

Last edited:
just mailed jmke at the [M] who said he'll do an acticle on this, with much better instructions

btw, here's a newer file that'll work with **ALL** GT's;

does not include default clock speed boosts, though both the voltage and the throttling has been done, runs slightly cooler than the stock ultra bios also, uses 1.4V and stays at 1.4V (even on startup)

use nvflash 4.42 (ONLY 4.42, not 5.0, not 4.46) and;

nvflash4 -p -u -2 "ultra".rom (replace "ultra" with whatever the file name is)

link: http://www.ocforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33310

_

Last edited:
I just did it... only got 100 points and 10MHz increase. Oh well, I can say I have an Ultra now :)

Back