• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini review - the GM100 AC Relay!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
Having bought the very first 'beta' model of the GM100 relay, made by our forum's very own greenman100, I have decided to write a mini review on this lovely little piece of gear :).

The GM100 is essentially a completely idiot-proof external relay unit, allowing you to hook an AC device up to a switch connected to your computer's PSU, so that when you fire up your rig, your chosen AC device gets power as well.

In my testing of the unit, I used it for a dedicated 24V Power supply unit, with a very high AC power draw, and for a large room fan. The relay can be used for pretty much any AC piece of equiptment that your house can handle (most ;)), including pump(s), or even a power bar with multiple devices.

The main benefits of the GM100 over commercial relays, like Criticool's PCI pump relay, the Powerplant, is the ridiculous ease of use, solid design, and ability to handle high-draw equiptment, like my 24V PSU.

Below is a picture of the beta relay unit, the box has mounting holes (I used velcro to attach mine to the rear of my case), a light to indicate that it's working (I found this particularly useful when playing with a PSU that doesn't have a power-on light, and happens to be keeping my graphics card from igniting), and a socket to plug your AC device into. It has an AC power cord that plugs into your wall, and a molexed plug that goes to any free molex from your PSU.

My initial inspection of the box turned up no real design flaws, and some abuse (vicious "accidental" dropping) proved it to be of sturdy construction.

Attachments

• Relay One.JPG
    Relay One.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
My initial inspection of the relay complete, I decided to delve further into it's guts, and check out the quality of workmanship put into this unit.

I gave greenman100 no advance warning that I would be opening the relay up, and digging through it's innards to check on the quality of his work.

Below, is a picture of the partially dissassembled relay unit.

Attachments

• Relay Two.JPG
    Relay Two.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
What turned up (combined with my being prone to breaking things) made me happy :).

All soldered connections have been thoroughly and tightly heatshrinked, wires have been cut to appropriate sizes, and everything that could be loose has been firmly secured down. Clamped wiring is neat and tidy, and my attempts to purposefully and violently dislodge (rip out) wires, and cause a short (simulating real-world abuse, such as if someone were to lightly bump the relay with an elbow ;)), were met with indominatable resistance - the guts are just as rock-solid and invincible as the exterior.

The last part of my review, actual real world testing of the relay unit's functionality. Using the relay with my 24V PSU, I have not had a problem once, throughout roughly 100 'turns' of firing up my PSU, and relay. My computer uses a lot of juice, and as such is not left on 24/7 - this relay has faithfully served me for the last two months without err or problem.

My conclusion on this piece of gear is as follows; The GM100 is a lovingly, and solidly built piece of equiptment, that is both indestructable and idiot-proof. It handled everything I could throw at it, and not only still works, but still works perfectly, and is cosmetically pristine. greenman100 has outdone himself with this beta, although the first unit produced, it is fully functional and built like a tank. greenman100 also produced this model, and most likely the rest he makes as well, at-cost, making it inexpensive, and damn kind of greenman100 :)

The only reccomendation I could make for future revisions, would be smaller mounting brackets that didn't extend so far out from the box itself, possibly inlaid with the box for a more compact look. I also would love to see a black casing :).

Well, that's about that :). I can assuredly say that if you are interested in one of these relays, you should feel free to PM greenman100, I'm pretty sure he'll be glad to mix one up for you :)

This device also officially receives the prestigious felinusz seal of approval, for being impervious to attack and furious tossing, wire-pulling, and general abuse!

Bump, just sent one to Osirus.

A specification and certification sheet will now be included. See attached.

The certification is by me, to ensure that the product meets or exceeds all specifications listed.

Attachments

• The GM100 Relay.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
My Review of the GM100

Well After foing some research on how I can use my Ehiem 1250 pump, I talked to a few people and they told me I needed a review. In my thread I had started asking about them, Greenman100 pointed me in the direction of this thread, about a Relay he made. Well after reading the review, I contacted him and got my hands on a relay of his. And here is my review of the relay.

I recieved the package in 3 days, and ripped it open, it was Very well packaged included a Certification sheet, telling me what was used, and what was tested and its rated output. I turned off my computer and got ready to install it. I first opened the box up to see the work Greenman100 did. I was very pleased to find out all wires were cut to length, and even shirk wrapped to quality standerads.

I pulled out the tape measure to see how much wire I had to work with on the Molex connectors. Which he used a passive connection, Which was a great idea, so I didnt have to dedicate a plug to it.
After messuring the wires, I was supprised to see it had 4' of wire! (4 feet)

I hooked it up and got it all plugged in, and turned my comp on, and it worked perfect!

Overall - I would have to say this is a great relay, and a great idea, it comes in handy when your wokring on your Watercooling system and dont want to turn your comp on when you are bleeding the system.

Pros and Cons.

Pro's - Great relay
Nice work all around
Very Professional look

Con's - I cant think of any!

Well I hope everyone who reads this takes my review into consideration on this relay. I know I have enjoyed having it.

Back