• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot Antec Lanboy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocmpg

Registered
So I find a wicked deal on a used Lanboy and I'm all excited about switching to an aluminum case. I install my Abit NF7 and Radeon 9500 Pro, a couple hard drives, CD, DVD, floppy. I've got my trusty Thermalright SK-7 with the high output 80mm Panaflo and I go with the stock Antec case fans (front intake and back exhaust).

I expect that this setup, which barely broke 40c (and was usually sub 35C) in my generic steel case, to run at least as cool if not cooler. No go.

No matter what fan configuration I try I can not seem to get it to run better than about 38C and it's usually more like 40 or more and almost 50 under load.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this and how did you handle it?

I understand that the issue is that it's a more compact case and so air flow is more restricted. Using more (and more powerful) fans, in a variety of configurations, hasn't chaged the temps at all. Which I find odd.

Anyway, besides "go out and get xyz case" or water cool, any suggetions?

TIA

also, there could be variations in the room temp, and differences in the mounting of your heatsink. are all the temps at full load? if not, i would try that first. i would also try remounting and see if there is any variation.

I reseated the HS last night using AS5 as usual. I also gave the SK-7 a cleaning. The resulting temps were the same. I also used a 1700+ runinng at 11*200 instead of the 3000+ running stock that I had been using.

Usining MBM5 the temps at idle are 38-40/28 and under load 45-49/30. I suppose I shouldn't complain. I just got much better in the steel case. I think that rather than cut up the case, I'm going to go for creating more of a positive airflow by substituting a 55cfm 92mm in the front position which will require drilling a few holes and perhaps opening up things a bit. I just want to be able to put the 80mm fan clip back.

I think the problem with this case is its width where the circulation happens mostly on the windowed side of the case where all the room is. I also feel like getting some airflow behind the motherboard would help too.

Rather than cut in a blow hole (yet) I'm going to place a hd cooler rack in the top slot with the fans exhausting hot air. It's probably not as good as full size fan at the top of the case. The 3 40mm fans in the rack run about 6 or 7 cfm each. I'll also have to keep the case door open for them to exhaust properly.

The bset thing that's worked so far though is taking the door off and placing the case on it's side, open side up. :p

Back