• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.8E advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orange tic-tac

Hi all (first thread/post)

I am building a new system with these specs:
Abit IC7-G MaxII Advance mobo
WD 80 GB SE HDD
Kingston 512 MB PC-3200
(single channel, planning on adding another stick in the future for dual)
Powercolor Radeon 9800 se
P4 2.8E

What kind of oc's can I expect with stock hsf on this cpu while remaining safe (this is my first oc). Also, what hsf should I upgrade to? I am too poor to go to water cooling. Thnx in advance.

well I have the 2.8E and my temps are around 59c, but my ambients are around 75-80 too. If you are looking for a decend OC'er and you aren't going watercooling or better, don't think you are going to get much more than 200mhz.

Plenty of 2.8E's have gotten to 3.6, and MOST should do at leat 3.2-3.4 with descent cooling (and USUALLY no increase in VCORE). My SLK-947U + 90mm TT fan lowered my "Load" temps to 51*C (about 9*C drop!) with a 215FSB (3.01 GHz). I plan on going further once I get DDR500 or DDR533 RAM so I can stay at 1:1. Also have a new PS on the way "Just to be safe"...

Me likes :cool:

It really depends on your ambient temps, and what HSF you are going to use. If you have good AC, and you are going to get an SLK, and some high CFM case fans, you will have a bunch better luck than I have. I am just telling you I have the stock HSF, 7 case fans, and my load temps are 59c, and that is with no OC. So you can tell by randyman's post, his ambient must be a ton better, because even with an SLK, I couldn't get much below 55c at stock FSB.

orange tic-tac, I agree with Randyman... You should be able to run a 2.8 easily at 3.4 to 3.5 . I have been able to get mine to 3.6 with a case mod to control the heat

Good Luck
Dave

I'll second that.

I've had my 2.8E at 250fsb (3.5Ghz) 1:1 on air. Had to set the vcore to 1.51 which had me a little worried so I backed it off.

Need better cooling!!!!!

I was right at 60*C with the Sotck HSF. Didn't matter with 215 or 200 FSB - stayed right at 60*C loaded (in a 75*F room). The SLK instantly took that down 9*C with increased case flow, and a 90MM fan on the proc. The stock HSF leaves MUCH to be desired - even with no OC IMO...

I like the 1M L2, but the heat I could do without. I'm happy anyway :)

There is a thread that mentioned the SLK-947U for like $19.99, but the sale comes and goes. I didn't want to sit around and wait, so I got my SLK-947U from NewEgg for like $45 or something. I put a TT 90mm fan, and all is peachy. There is also the SB-2 to be released soon. Looks very efficient and HEAVY!

Case cooling WILL be very important, as well. My side fan is blowing IN almost direclty onto the HSF, and helps the SLK get a always-coolio breeze. I also added a 120mm HD/front intake (removed LOTS of case material on the front for that to fit properly ans to allow free airflow - had to chunk my frony USB ports though), and added/modded a 80mm exhaust on the top (Between the PS and Optical bay - centered on the top of the PC). With the new PS I have on the way with 2 fans, this will help exhaust hot air even better!

My MoBo tems are unusually low IMO (no "dead spots"), and every littlle bit helps. :cool:

I’ve been using the Swiftech MCX478-V, OCZ Ultra 5+ Thermal Compound, with a Vantec Toronado 92mm fan on a 2.8E. No problem with heat even at 3.5 GHz. Generally I run the 2.8E at (14x235) 3290 MHz, 1.425 Vcore, and 2.7 dimm. Using Motherboard Monitor 5 to check the temp, I have reached 53°c playing Raven Shield when the air-conditioner broke; the room was 27°c. As a rule, my CPU temp is 33°c-35°c idle and 47°c-50°c playing games.
Also, the Toronado is loud as hell! If you plan on using a loud fan make sure you can control the fan speed, so you don’t go deaf!

orange tic-tac, Randyman statement about case cooling is 100% gospel with a prescott. Before I added a duct to the side cover of my Antec case, my CPU ran at 60C at idle and over 70C under a load. :mad: :mad:

I was ready to throw the thing in the trash. :bang head

By adding the duct, (see my signature) with an 80 MM fan mounted inside it for good measure and I also added an 80mm fan in the front of the case, my temps have dropped to 42C at idle and 55C under a heavy load overclocked at 3.59 using the stock HSF

When I get around to it I am going to add a SP-94 HSF( have to remove the motherboard to install this one) to get the temps down lower

Dave

That duct is an excellent idea. My buddy did that with an older amd because he wanted to OC with the stock HSF, and it dropped his temps by almost 10c. The ONLY issue with the duct is the appearance. I personally have watercooling with UV reactive water with a ton of cool reactive stuff that looks sweet. But if you don't care totally take Dcasole's idea to heart, cause it works.

Drop-Top, It is in my basement office which is in the process of being finished. The air temps in this room stay pretty steady at around 72F

BrandonV, Here is a picture of the inside of the case . I had to use a rubber duct(3 inch drain pipe coupler) as my side cover has to slide back in order to remove it
It Ain't pretty but it works.......................... Plus I am the only one who will see it :burn:

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Dcasole-DSC01133.JPG

Dave

Thanks for the pic. I just ordered a Cooler Master Praetorian case, I think it might look pretty slick with a 80mm mesh grill on the smooth aluminum side. And my Pressy needs some cool air.......
11-119-029-09.JPG

Back