• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: OverMoD by BlueBall (Custom MODS!) *tons-o-pics*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueBall

I started a thread in another topic and it grew out of my control :burn:

This is where it belongs.

Here is the link to it Click Here

Perhaps a moderator could move it here for me and maybe even *Sticky* it :santa2:

Last edited:
i just went there. THat is so awsome. I really wish i could do some of the stuff you guys have.

But i have no "spare" fridges, i might go to a dumb to find one but i dont know how to tell if it works or not, and i dont have another system that i could water cool with and i dont have the money for a good watercooling block :(.

Your way to lucky, HAVE FUN with it! :D

Zoltan

I have been collecting good 'stuff' for years ... I would NEVER have guessed that some of it would be used for a case mod.

Others may call it junk collecting ....
I call it recycling.

Here's a sneek peek at my VERY FIRST ghetto block. It eventually leaked. It really wasn't a surprise ... it was made out of the bottom of a beer can, a couple of copper reducers, a chunk of aluminum and TONS of 'J.B. Weld'.

Attachments

• Relic block 002 (Small).jpg
    Relic block 002 (Small).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 6,869
It actually worked quite well ... it has a 'dam' inside to create turbulance. You could hear the gushing water inside. It leaked from a seam ... wreaked a mobo ... no biggie.
Please remember I made that three years ago!

Good thing R134a is enviromantally friendly ... I heard they use it as a bug repellant in other countries. Good thing too cause I sure breathed enough of it accidentally. It made me want to lay on my back and squirm till I was stepped on :attn:

BUT, its environmentaly firendly! :p
Anyway, aside from that I-Want-You-To-Have-My-Children post earlier, I'd like to put down a question about the HDD cooler.
Could you tell me what brand/make the stock version :)p) of it was?

I'd like to know, not to watercool, heck no, I'd never be allowed to do that in this rig, but simply to dissolve heat.
You see, in the case I'm buying, the HDD('s if there are multiple) can be mounted right infront of the intake fans, so all those shafts will become something similar to air tunnels. Bound to offer quite some decent cooling, ey?
Even though it isn't Serial ATA or in a raid configuration, I wouldn't trust something that goes at 7200rpm 100% mechanicly to go uncooled.
I'm about to spend €100+ on that HDD, and its the most costy thing in my entire new rig, so I'd be interested in protecting it so it doesn't melt in the first 2 days I own it...

Back a little more ontopic, GREAT to hear the R134a has finally arrived.
Time for some temps now? ;-]
Just out of curiosity, is R134a some other name for freon? or is it something entirely different?
Meh, doesn't really matter that much, I wish you good luck!

And you know, if that fridge's cooling liquid isn't too sticky, and doesn't evaporate too much, you could consider buying another pack or two for replacing the cooling liquid with it...

w00p said:
Could you tell me what brand/make the stock version :)p) of it was?

Just out of curiosity, is R134a some other name for freon? or is it something entirely different?

The HDD coolers are named "Ultimate Hard Drive Coolers" and R134a is a modern enviromentally friendly refridgerant. All new fridges and cars use this now.

If I would've done anything with a fridge, it would've been something involving cooling liquid flowing through a waterblock...

Just like, strip the fridge, till you have nothing but the needed parts to flow cooled cooling liquid through the tubes, then, carefully empty the cooling liquid in an apart jerrycan as if you where changing motor-oil in a car.
Then take a dremel and tear them tubes open, solder a system of copper tubes that gets welded on the normal, cut off fridge tubes.
The copper tubing then goes into your PC, through your all your waterblocks and then back to the other end of the system: back into a sawn off end of the iron tubes of the original fridge.

It may be ghetto, ugly, ... But atleast you can lift up the entire computer/cooling without needing a forklift to keep up the fridge... :p

I have determined what my next major mod will be. (the chipset can wait a little while)

I am going to MOD THE FRIDGE.

Here are my rough ideas ... I think I will build this one step-by-step here for OCFORUMS

Basic idea is to make a inlet/outlet housing that mounts to the fridge. It will contain temperature readouts for in/out flow as well as a GPM reading and system volume information. When the volume of the system becomes dangerously low (for ANY reason) the fridge will fill with city water (good around here) through a float-valve system.

This mod will be ideal for me because one day soon my entire PC (without case) will be in this fridge.

I knew all these trades would come in handy one day :>

FYI .... I think the 'cooling' liquid you refer to is R134a or Freon ... but will evapourate INSTANTLY ... not to mention BOIL at room temperature in a sealed system.

Hope this helps you avoid replacing a fridge. :bang head

BlueBall said:
I have determined what my next major mod will be. (the chipset can wait a little while)

I am going to MOD THE FRIDGE.

Here are my rough ideas ... I think I will build this one step-by-step here for OCFORUMS

Basic idea is to make a inlet/outlet housing that mounts to the fridge. It will contain temperature readouts for in/out flow as well as a GPM reading and system volume information. When the volume of the system becomes dangerously low (for ANY reason) the fridge will fill with city water (good around here) through a float-valve system.

This mod will be ideal for me because one day soon my entire PC (without case) will be in this fridge.

I knew all these trades would come in handy one day :>

but wont computer + city water = doom?

I changed my mind ... I'm going to use the same float valve system (like a toilet) to add distilled water from another reserve resevoir with a sensor and alarm in case I run dangerously low on coolant.

I have started my fridge mod.

Today I add two water chambers inside the fidge.

Explanation ... The FIRST chamber removes bubbles caused by turbulance in the pump itself. I am going to add a little more riser in it so the water level is approx half. By using an inverted 3/4" high flow water filtration system (which was recycled) and reversing the water flow through them, I am able to virtually guarantee there will be no more bubbles (or whooshing water sounds).

The SECOND chamber has a manual valve to divert some of the existing coolant into it. Once the resevoir float valve has been installed it will work like this.
I will be able to run the system as normal ... use the diverting valve and fill the second chamber. If ever the coolant evapourates or leaks then the float valve will discharge the appropriate amount of coolant from the second chamber to return the resevoir to a safe level.
I think I'll add a siren or flashing LED to indicate if this has happened. It will be as easy as opening the diverting valve to refill the second chamber.

Attachments

• PC Mod 103 (Small).jpg
    PC Mod 103 (Small).jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 6,508
Since I am STILL waiting for my HVAC friend to charge my fridge I thought I'd use my old radiator and fan till then.

I saw a water mark on the rad so I put it above a bucket just in case. It is only a temporary fix.

Attachments

• PC Mod 104 (Small).jpg
    PC Mod 104 (Small).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 6,444
That duct work has a 120VAC fan inside it. It is usually designed for attics (boost your A/C to the third floor kinda thing)

Both the fan AND pump are (were) on seperate dimmer dials which are mounted remotely at my desk. The dimmer has been great because I have been able to test my system at LOW pressure/volume BEFORE going to the MAX. It has saved me alot of mopping up water ... LOL

BTW ... I removed the Water Wetter ... That smell simply makes me ill. I'm glad it's in my Dodge now :rolleyes:

Attachments

• PC Mod 108 (Small) (Small).jpg
    PC Mod 108 (Small) (Small).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 6,367
Last edited:
Since I added the radiator, I have noticed a HUGE drop in temperatures. What once was 45C under HEAVY load (Far Cry) is now at a cool 35C .... the rad and fan has reduced my passive fridge temps by 10C.

I went into my local auto parts store and asked them for the cheapest heater core they had ... After a 5 minute search 'in the back' he comes out with something he said was 'obsolete' ... for $25CDN I bought an 8" x 8" core (I'll put pics up tomorrow). So now I have two rads.

I feel another mod coming on ... something like dual rads in a killer fan sandwich.

I wonder when it will stop? .... My old nick was ICEMAN ... ironic?!?!

Attachments

• PC Mod 112 (Small).jpg
    PC Mod 112 (Small).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 6,366
Last edited:
Dear Lord! Nobody can stop him now!!! Run everyone, run for the hills, before he cools the earth!!! :D

Anyways, great work, bud. I'm anxious to see the final product.

Back