• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two questions about linux install.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObnoxiousFrog

Registered
Okay I have two questions so I'm going to try to kill two birds with one stone.
I just installed Debian and my screen locks up as soon as it starts to load X. I didn't really wan't X on this system but installed anyway thinking I wasn't going to have a problem with it *this* time (X windows is the only thing I usually know how to fix in debian) Is there anyway I can just boot to a command line and remove X?

::Edit:: I tried my rescue cd but it wants to boot with X.....

Now for the second question:

Is there any distribution of linux that is boot-from-DVD? Like Arkaine's Overclockix, or Knoppix but on DVD?

Last edited:
I am not too familiar with Debian- (only installed it once and didn't care for it.)

BUT- pretty much every boot loader I have used for Linux (grub and lilo) allow the use of extra bootup commands and/or parameters.

You may be able to boot into a pure console session that way; try looking up the options for your bootloader, whichever you and Debian use.

As far as the dvd....I do little with dvds, although I have a couple of drives around someplace...
My dvd drives have all been able to boot with cds in them- any reason you can't do that?

editing the file /etc/inittab and changing then line near the top that defines default runlevel as "5" to "3" will give you a text mode boot.

You should be able to pass options to your bootloader to boot into a "safer mode", usually by pressing F1, you can get a Lilo or Grub prompt.

There is Knoppix on DVD, and probably a few customized spinoffs of it. You could burn an Overclockix iso onto a DVD.

Thanks, thats exactly what I needed. But it didn't work, It seems I can only boot at runlevel 1 and 5 and I'm too new with linux to know what to do with runlevel 1. I'm going to try reinstalling, the sure bet....

look for file(s) like "S???dm" in any directory under /etc/rc1.d to /etc/rc5.d
Delete all of them. No more display manager on bootup.

defines default runlevel as "5" to "3" will give you a text mode boot.
That's wrong for debian. and btw: default runlevel is 2, not 3

I've never tried it, but can you burn multiple iso's onto one DVD and still have it bootable? I don't think so, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

I don't think you can put multiple images onto a dvd and still have it be bootable, unless there was some funky boot loader that first. I do know that there is a Fedora dvd image at their site. I was going to download it last night but forgot about it. I'll give it a whirl later.

AC Slater said:
I do know that there is a Fedora dvd image at their site. I was going to download it last night but forgot about it. I'll give it a whirl later.
I hope you have a fast connection and can get a good download speed. The Fedora Core 2 DVD ISO image is 4.07 GB! Even at 200KB/s that would take almost 6 hours.

MisterEd said:
I hope you have a fast connection and can get a good download speed. The Fedora Core 2 DVD ISO image is 4.07 GB! Even at 200KB/s that would take almost 6 hours.

I'm patient:)

runlevel 2 = text mode
runlevel 3 = text mode with networking

Either way you get text mode....

Back