• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone who is overclocking a Max3, please read this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

Okay, our boards, because they have the intel 875 chipset, can use GAT. Game Acceleration Technology. It automatically adjusts ram timings to get better transfer speeds from the memory, and really does a good job doing it. There is a very good in depth article:
http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2003q3/abit-is7/index.x?pg=1

So basically, I and other people have found that a couple of these settings really can hurt an overclock. So If you are struggling with 1:1 overclocks try disabling these last two features:

Go to you BIOS under "Advanced Chipset Features"
At the end there will be those 5 memory options. The article explains what they do. Set the first 3 to auto and disable the last 2. So Auto, Auto, Auto, Disabled, Disabled.

I am not sure how much this takes away from performance. Playing Counter-Strike, I have not noticed anything. However, I have not got around to more intense games. Also these first three are very powerful features. If you have a stable clock, or aren't going high with your memory, try using the turbo, street racer, f1 settings. As you can see from the article they make a big difference in performance. Note that some ram will handle more aggressive settings than others.

See if that helps. In figured I would make a thread instead of posting in everyone elses thread. I notice a lot of people struggling at high memory speeds (including myself) and that can really help you out if you haven't done it already. It made my clock steady after days of trying lots of other things. I may even be able to overclock my memory and go to a higher fsb now or take down my cpu voltage, which is always good.

Last edited:
There have been several threads in the Abit Forum regarding the GAT settings. The general idea seems to be that the first setting makes attempts to make your mem run faster by tighten your timings and other "udocumented" changes. The last four GAT settings are trying, through various methods, to slow your mem down to make it more stable at high speeds. You can verify this your self by running Sandra benchmarks before and after changing any of those settings. The most commonly used are AAADD, ANADD, AN7ED. Also, with Hynix 4000 based mem like Adata & OCZ 4000+, AA7EA is popular. Some of the lower latency OCZ and Corsair won't respond well to changes in GAT setting at all and may in fact hurt your OC.

What you have to decide is if the hit you take in mem performance is worth the extra couple of points you can get by slowing down your mem with GAT settings. For the most part, I figure that Sandra is just a synthetic benchmark and that CPU speed is more important, to running everyday apps, then the few points you lose in the Sandra benchmark. However if you are benchmarking for competition, then changing the GAT can hurt your scores.

They can be confusing. And if you are not careful you can end up working against yourself when you try to use them. It is not uncommon for me to run across posts of ppl trying to tightening their timings to run faster, and then turning around and changing their GAT to AAADD. Which is trying to slow their mem down.

very very interesting, I might try my vcore to drop my vcore, then I will spend some time with those GAT settings, you seem like an expert on the subject. I'm sure you have tried every possible combination before. Wicked nice memory overclocks by the way. Also WELCOME TO OC FORUMS!

:fold:

Back