• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never go back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

latinag

Registered
Is it safe to say that once you go dually you never go back? I'm plannning on building an opteron 250 dually by the end of the year. How much love out there for your opteron duallies?

I am planning to build my own Opteron dually about the same time. I am waiting for prices to go down a little bit and also for some new technology to come out. Even though I do not have a dually yet and feel that I probably will always have a dually at least as the file server for me.

Yeah its pretty safe to say. My dually rig is out of commission currently and I am sorta lost without it right now :(

I would say though that if you don't have some pretty hefty requirements that a dually is probably overkill for a file server for personal use. You are going to be IO bound on a file server far before you are cpu bound.

i love my dualie! i can do everything at once and see no perfromance drop! :D

There's no way i'm going back to a single desktop.... but as for laptops..... i wish they had duals in there too :(

Dc5e said:
i love my dualie! i can do everything at once and see no perfromance drop! :D

There's no way i'm going back to a single desktop.... but as for laptops..... i wish they had duals in there too :(

I wish so too. As long as you could turn one CPU off when you were running off of battery so that you would have decent battery life. Well they do sell laptops that have RAID setups in them.

Well, I'm going to break the trend and admit that I've gone back.

At home, I really want a quiet rig, for light use and gaming.

At work, I really need a workhorse for multitasking.

I had an AMD dually (XP) at home and I've just replaced it with a single HT P4 and I've taken my AMD dually to my office. I just didn't need the multitasking ability at home. I wanted a quiet computer that would be good for gaming. My gaming is now a little better (since I have dual channel PC3200 on the Intel 865PE chipset) and the noise is lower than I could achieve with my AMD dually.

At work, I haven't transferred over to the AMD dually, yet, but I think it will really help my work, there.

i think this should be a poll..i'd like to go dually, but the cost scares me. maybe if i can someday pick up a second processor like mine i'd buy a board and pick up another chip for my abit....i'm gonna have some fun when i get a job!

Something to think about: Just because you're getting a dually doesn't mean you need two top of the line processors. I run two PIII-800Es (@900) on a P2B-D (112mhz FSB) for all my work stuff and I love it. In terms of raw CPU speed its not exactly fast, but it'll multitask its way through MS Office, Acad (2D), IE, WinAmp, Acrobat, and whatever else I have on the go noticibly smoother then any of the P4 2.6 machines in the office.

I have a Tualeron-1200 (@1600) that I use for games. Speaking of file servers and tualatins, IMHO a passively cooled underclocked tualatin celeron on a i815 board makes the perfect file server (unless you need PCI-X).

Of course if you only want one computer it's a bit of a dilemma, especially if you want to play all the latest games with all the eye candy. Still, as long as I'm using my computer for work I think it'll always be a dually, regardless of cost.

BTW I've had my P2B-D setup for four and a half years now! (Jan 2000) :bday:

dually doesn't have to cost alot. Most of us already have a moniter,an extra,case or so laying around. My total cost for dual 242's minus vid card, moniter,30g and 120g hdd,mouse and keyboard came to 1700 which isn't to bad. Also with this computer I should have lots of upgradability with opterons since AMD plans to start production of dual core Opterons that will be compatible with current motherboards with just a bios flash(if they keep there word that is but plans change). Also I don't think that I will always stick to duallie. I mean intel doesn't make the p4 in duallie so if I want another p4 system I will have to build a single unless I go Xeon. Also you can get a really good dual XP mobile system running for alot less then a dual opteron or xeon setup so its not really high cost unless you make it. Make sure you shop around and where you can get used parts from good buyers on forums or ebay. Also don't be afraid to check out refurbed or open boxed items. I got my 17 flat panel for about 100 less and I got 4 year replacement plan on it so according to them if one pixel decides to burn out they have to replace it with comparable or better. Lastly as for love of my opterons I have to say this system is great (other then the lack of agp/pci bus on the MSI k8T motherboard) especially in programs like Premiere and Vegas.

I have had a dually since 1998 as my personal workstation (ASUS P2B-D). It hurt the first time because I didn't really know what I was doing. Since that time, I've learned some things to keep the costs reasonable. Keeping up with technology is not a cheap process, (either single or dual) but it doesn't have to be too costly either. Will I ever go back? Nope ... when it comes to workstation performance, a dually will never be beat (v. a single). I don't have an AMD v. Intel preference ... as long as it's dual, I'm fine with the proc.

I have always told myself that I will never go back. But now the prices in the dual sector just seem way to high to justify cost. My mutlitasking will be hurt, but I'm not going to be affected enough to warrent $500+ of extra cost.

latinag said:
Is it safe to say that once you go dually you never go back? I'm plannning on building an opteron 250 dually by the end of the year. How much love out there for your opteron duallies?

yep

~~~ come november my xeon box (in sig) has been my personal workstation for 2 years!!! ~~~ not the fastest, but it always boots and never has crashed ~~~ this was put in place while i built my p4 box back then (when the 1.6a northwoods were hot) and even though the p4 was alot faster, i couldn't bring myself to give up the smoothness and dependability of this oldie but goodie ~~~ overkill? at under $400?

Como said:
i think this should be a poll..i'd like to go dually, but the cost scares me. maybe if i can someday pick up a second processor like mine i'd buy a board and pick up another chip for my abit....i'm gonna have some fun when i get a job!

can an admin make this a poll? It would be interesting to see how many have gone back to a single processor as a primary machine. thank you.

Duallies really shine when you do alot of rendering or cad ad the funny thing is I have been dabbling with programs like 3dsmax and sketchup so I will probably always have atleast one workstation type pc and I am planning to get a P5 when they are out (not sure if the Tejas chip is still due to arrive sometime quarter 3 or not).

Yeah I had a feeling they might have been since I haven't heard anything much about them. Oh well I guess it was too good to have been true (pinless and low power).

i think intel is still going to go with pinless and low power but instead they're going to go with their mobile chips with the dothan core.

Back