• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu HSF doesn't fit N7F-S???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaswyn

I bought this HSF from a local store for $39 bucks before I realized it probably won't fit my new MB (not here yet... Newegg will be delivering soon!!). But someone posting on Newegg reviews says he has the same MB and I quote him,

"I have a Abit NF7 v2 board and this was a snap to put on it, although it is listed as incompatible. I just switched up the blue and the silver sides, and cut off the first hole on the retainer on the blue side. Fits like a charm and is silent."

Anyone else knows what this guy's talking about or had to go through something similar? If not, any recommendation on a similar noise level/effective HSF? This HSF is very quiet from what I've read.

TIA

Hsf

I tried to find a compatability chart on Zalmon's website, but could not. I did find this: Nothing can be higher than 39mm within a 55mm radius of the center of the CPU.

On my system, that might be a problem with the capaciters near the mofsets, the PSU, or possible interference with the Northbridge cooler. But just looking at my NF7-S, It might fit. Good luck, and let me know if it fits or not!

E

From what I remember, it is not listed as being compatible, but then again, using a little imagination and a good hacksaw, you can solve lots of incompatibility issues, you know?

Here's the compatibility/incompatibility list of MBs for Socket 462 (A) for this HSF:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/7000a-462_motherboard_list_eng.html

I found a guy who had a sig of the same MB/HSF setup. He basically mentioned the same thing, that he just cut off a piece of the clip because that was only used for the Pentium socket 478. I'm assuming he used a hacksaw or something, since it's made of metal... guess I finally have a reason to use my saw :)

It does fit but you have to slightly mod(cut with a hack saw or dremel) the retention clip which is a bit too long on one side and you have to reverse the support gears(one is silver and is suppose to go on the left and the blue one on the right, but you must install the blue one on the left). Took about 3 min to get mine installed from off the box onto the mobo.

hafaphoto said:
On my system, that might be a problem with the capaciters near the mofsets, the PSU, or possible interference with the Northbridge cooler. But just looking at my NF7-S, It might fit. Good luck, and let me know if it fits or not!

E

(repost from another thread)

I was able to fit the HSF w/my ABIT NF7-S rev 2.0. Went out and bought a $10 small hack saw from Home Depot and cut the outer "hole".... took me about 30 mins to cut it, while watching TV. I even took the whole HSF apart just to cut that piece because I didn't want to damage the fans.

The reason why you switch the white and blue is because if you use the white side on the capacitor side, there's a good chance the capacitor will still touch the metal clip from the HSF. But if you use the blue side on the capacitor, (blue and white are slightly different) you won't need to bend the capacitors. I was afraid I'd break one off haha

And I only cut one "hole" side... I didn't do the other. Didn't need to, because there was nothing else on it's side.

I'm running 2500+ mobile barton @ 15x160=2400Mhz (having a problem with going higher than 160 FSB, so will have to do the mod everyone's talkn' about), and today it's frikken 90+ degrees outside or so, and my CPU is idle @ 42-44 degrees, and full load @ 46-47 degrees.

That HSF ROCKS! Quiet as hell too.

The only thing is with that HSF, you have to take your whole MB out of the case to screw the blue/white clips or whatever you call them, to the MB.

Here, you can see where I cut it off...(where the screw's at) it looks sorta like the capacitor and the metal clip are touching, but they're not.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/picturesnstuff/Cut.jpg

And here, you see what it would look like without it being modified.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/picturesnstuff/Uncut.jpg

Back