• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HS fins... ramsinks, mosfets, etc...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkDraco

Now that im customizing all my ramsinks on my comp, i was wondering if the fin size matters.i have nothing in the wat and was wondering if leaving the ramsinks fins at 2-3cm instead of cutting them to 1cm would make any cooling difference. i would think it helps but i could be wrong

i was cutting new sinks for my NF7 mofset (the zig zag ones) and was wondering if i should cut them short. but now i guess ill keep them long. thanks

is it safe to pull off heatsinks that were stuck on by thermal tape? still a chance it will rip something out if not carefull?

oooo, nice tip. well here are some scans of finished product.

theres a pic of the base and what it looks from the side.

and Legend, i took your advice. tell me what you think

EDIT: this is for the Abit NF7 mofsets.

Attachments

• 01 001.jpg
    01 001.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 01 002.jpg
    01 002.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 216
Looks pretty good. Make sure you don't touch any of the metal that is near the mosfets (the little copper coils n' such) when you put them on.

here is a pic of the mofset layout on the board i found
abit-NF7-S_mosfets.jpg

last question. will spray painting the sink fins affect performance? this this is all sorts of shades of grey... shiny, dull, mixed together

Those pics look nice. 1 thing tho....you're going to want to get those sinks as flat as possible. Also, watch out for the yellow resistor? by the mosfet sink on the far left. I have the same board, and couldn't figure out why my heatsink wasn't staying on the mosfet. Turns out the yellow thing was getting in the way. (Kinda hard to tell when the mobo is still in the case, and you got a giant hsf hovering over them) I was able to gently bend it out of the way and it now fits great.

As for the spray painting, my gut tells me it would be worse for heating, but the ones I bought, came painted and seem to be working great. Maybe if you could find a spray paint with a high amount of metal in it...

ohhh thanks for telling me about the yellow resistor i would olf missed it. but from my measurments, the bottom of the HS doesnt go down far enough to touch that. while i has some giant sinks left over, i thought i should go ahead and make some ram sinks for my radeon :p

pic attached

Attachments

• 01 003.jpg
    01 003.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 327
Those look pretty sweet. They'll do a good job of cooling, I'm sure.

As for spray painting - don't do it. It'll seriously damage their ability to dissipate heat. The sinks you have that look painted are probably anodized - an electrical process that changes the color, among other things.

i guess changing their color is a no.... i guess ill be sanding down the sides to make them all look shiny. thanks for the comments

looking good! looking very good :) with that last sink you showed, if you bend them to far (apart from the chance of breaking lol) it may be harder for air to get in the sink itself, so if you have a fan blowing over it, make it blow from the side, because if it blows on top of it lol, then most of the air will "bounce of"

i just weighed the sinks. 50g for the mosfet sink and 5.3g for each ramsink. how can i stick the sink on with as5 and have it hold.the mosfet sink will be vertical, 1/2 the ram sinks stand upright and the other 1/2 upside down. thanks in advance

Jognt, thats the reason why i made them more curved. the fans will be blowing from the sides :)

The best solution for getting them on there is Arctic Silver Adhesive but you can also use a little superglue. If you use superglue try not to let it mix too much with the AS5 as that will make it weaker and it may fall off (that could be pretty bad).

Back