• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who makes the WORST hard drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Who makes the worst hard drives?

• Maxtor

Votes: 355 22.0%
  • Western Digital

Votes: 136 8.4%
  • Samsung

Votes: 43 2.7%
  • Seagate

Votes: 92 5.7%
  • IBM

Votes: 504 31.2%
  • Hitachi

Votes: 67 4.1%
  • Fujitsu

Votes: 85 5.3%
  • Quantum

Votes: 204 12.6%
  • Other

Votes: 130 8.0%

• Total voters
IBM are so bad It is no surprise hitachi took over making them..I have one drive that has been replaced 4 times lol AND it need's it again..I am just gonna stop beating a dead horse and let it stay dead..

I have had a lot of WD's, and just had one break down, about 5 months after I bought it new. The warranty service was easy to use, but it was still annoying.

Never had a drive from any manufacturer break on me really :) Only one I've suffered from is 1 dead Seagate in my 486 Packard Bell, which died after about a month from bad sectors. It's 512MB replacement (also a Seagate) is working to this day though, so I can't really call them unrelable :D

WD, Maxtor, Seagate, Quantum... No bad experiences with any of them yet.
JigPu

diehrd said:
IBM are so bad It is no surprise hitachi took over making them..I have one drive that has been replaced 4 times lol AND it need's it again..I am just gonna stop beating a dead horse and let it stay dead..
That's exactly what happened to me. :bang head: I rma'ed one of my Deathstars 3 times, and they died each time. The third time, I in fact told the IBM rep of the HD's awful reputation, and he said he was surprised, they didn't hear of too many having issues with them... :rolleyes:

I read in Maximum PC magazine about IBM deliberately selling its less than reliable 37 gig hdd's in the OEM market just to dump them off because of known issues with thier reliability. These where hdd's that where returned to the manufacturer by the retailers because there was too high of a return rate on them. I will do some research and see if I can find the same article online. It even has quotes out of an email from one of the higher ups at IBM saying this. Ever since reading that article I have been leary of buying OEM parts from online retailers. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. :confused:

Quantum fireball drives are put in many gateways and they die a lot, ive heard/seen it...my friend's died out and lost a lot of a stuff...worst manufacturer imo

Personally, I have only ever had one harddrive die on me, and it was due to my own mistake. It was working fine before taking it out of my system, and I placed it on the table in the process of moving components. I left it there for a couple days, and forgot it was there, and ended up placing a 12" Type-R subwoofer right next to it. Even though these things are supposed to be resistant to Interference, thats a huge magnet right next to it. Needless to say, it never worked again.

As far as the poll is concerned, I voted IBM, as I have had 2 friends return multiple drives of theirs.

I think over the years I have toasted 5 IBMs, maybe I have owned more of them than other drives, but I see other people have similar experiences.

I also noticed that in the IBM business machines that I maintain at work that they do not put IBM drives in IBM computers. That should be a sign. I think the newer ones that I have all have WD drives.

I've owned several IBMs, every one of them are dead, even the RMAs; I gave up on them. Of all the other drives I've owned (Seagate and Western Digital), I've NEVER had a problem.

Out of the computers I've built for other people, and the computer my family uses, the IBM 120GXP's have been the most reliable. 800JB's have caused several problems for me. The IBM 60GXP's and 75GXP's absolutely sucked, but I'm a big fan of everything IBM/Hitachi from 120GXP up.

9mmCensor said:
The new Hitachi's are the new IBMs (IBM sold them) and they now rock, but the old deathstars did suck.

I challenge your statement, my 200gb Hitachi died within 2 months.

I like maxtor myself, but I've had some problems with them, my 40gb died (started getting CRC errors, then it refused to detect in bios one day)

Never had a problem with a western digital drive made post 2002

And I challenge yours - both 800JB's I've had have caused me problems, and of the 5 120GXP's I've used, they've all been error free for about 3 years. Everyone has different experiences with different drives. Both of us may just be exceptions. :)

Yeha I have a IBM 120gxp for about 2 years now and its still chuggin along while I had to return several Western Digital hdds over the past 5 years.

Ive has a Wd , Maxtor , and ibm all die in the same yr, maxtor is the best to rma through, they use 2nd day air to send back. IBM stick to cpus and that stuff hd aint your place!

Back