• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC-DL 800 FSB Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fieldski

Registered
A breakthrough has been made!

I can now boot the PC-DL at 200-233 1:1 right out of the bios! Previous was 133-165.

Here's how it went:

I broke off pins....AB3, AA2 and AA3. I then put a bridge between AA2 and AA3....this creates .00000 resistance between AA2 & AA3.

http://www.treadlayers.com/BSEL_Mod/BSEL_Mod_Socket.JPG
http://www.treadlayers.com/MO_Broken_Cpu/mo_broken.JPG

I set the jumpers to 2-4, 1-3....This is default. I cleared the cmos, and it booted the first time. The PC-DL now thinks I'm running a 800 FSB Cpu's.

The bios is completely changed after this. The default greyed out spd settings changed from 2-5-2-2 to 2.5-6-2-2. I can now select DDR 400 1:1, DDR 322 5:4, and DDR266 3:2.

http://www.treadlayers.com/PC_DL_Bios_Jumper/DSC00458.JPG
http://www.treadlayers.com/PC_DL_Bios_Jumper/DSC00462.JPG

I am now running 3751/1000/250....using clockgen...Rock Solid!

3751_1000_250_3.1va.JPG

It is too early to speculate what the maximum speed is....It seems the cpu's max out at about 3800, and the memory max seems to be about 255 to 260 1:1.....for now....I have some Mushkin PC4000 and OCZ PC4000 on the way so we will see how fast it can really go!

fieldski

EDIT: I do not recommend this.....Try this trick on your own free will!

Last edited:
Extreme modding

Fieldski said:
A breakthrough has been made!

I can now boot the PC-DL at 200-233 1:1 right out of the bios! Previous was 133-165.

Here's how it went:

I broke off pins....AB3, AA2 and AA3. I then put a bridge between AA2 and AA3....this creates .00000 resistance between AA2 & AA3...

fieldski

EDIT: I do not recommend this.....Try this trick on your own free will!

So you broke off three pins?!! There's no going back now :eek:

You couldn't just sleeve them with insulation?

That U wire in the socket holes between AA2 & AA3 should do the same thing without breaking off pins AA2 & AA3.

So the AB3 is now 1 and the AA3 is 0? (BESL pin H,L 200fsb)

I'll try this but I won't break off any pins as there's no going back from that mod if I need that CPU in another system that wouldn't be able to use the mod.

:clap:Congrats on your results. I'm glad someone was able to get the BESL mod to work on the PC-DL.

Last edited:
YES! :D Good to see the hardware mods continuing, I did the Xeons way back when it was 100 to 133.

Could you post more details on the actual functions of the pins etc.? I'd look it up myself, but really don't have the time now, and it puzzles me that its not a typical two-pin control setup.

BESL 0 is AA3 and BESL 1 is AB3.

AB3 is sleeved or broken off to isolate it from the mother board and allow the signal volage to float up to a High or 1 state.

The AA3 is bridged to the ground potintial by AA2 to bring it low or 0 state.

This is for the 200fsb H,L/1,0 besl pin settings to fool the mobo that an 800fsb CPU is in the socket.

Use thin 30 gauge wire insulation to sleeve/insulate the AB3 pin and a thin strand of wire from a lamp zip cord about 10mm long bent into a U to insert in both AA2 & AA3 socket holes. Make sure when you look up a Xeon CPU pinout diagram, that the socket is mirror reversed on the pin locations.

Fieldski said:
A I broke off pins....AB3, AA2 and AA3. I then put a bridge between AA2 and AA3....this creates .00000 resistance between AA2 & AA3.
Can you explain why breaking off the pins and inserting the bridge wire works while leaving the pins on and inserting the bridge wire is said not to work? We're only talking about a logic zero here so anything close to ground should do the trick. Yo no comprendo the .00000 resistance remark.

Since I always end up reselling my stuff (as I did my 2.66/533 C1 Xeons to get my current 2.4/533 M0 Xeons) there's no way I'm breaking off any pins! :eek:

I couldn't get it to work without breaking the pins, don't ask me why it just wouldn't.....I'de really like to see you post the board without breaking the pins. It would be just awesome Dave.

fieldski

I may give it a try later this week. But it seems like several have tried and come up empty. Anyway, if I get some free time, we'll see. ;)

I just did Mooseifert's mod, known to some as the "MooseMod". He figured out that if you only connected one of the two FSB Select jumpers across pins 3 and 5, the PC-DL thinks you have 800 MHz FSB Xeons. The other jumper is removed completely.

Since I have 2.4/533 M0 stepping SL73L CPUs, they booted right up at 14*233 MHz. I was then able to get running at 2500/250/250 with the DDR set at 400 in the BIOS using ClockGen to up the FSB to 250 MHz. Selecting DDR 400 sets the DDR:FSB ratio at 1:1. I will try for 300 MHz FSB tonight with the DDR at 266 (2:3) and 333 (4:5). I have a screen shot posted over at 2CPU with my setup running at 3500/250/250. Here is the text of the actual breakthrough, directly quoted from our hero Mooseifert!

Here are the instructions on how to get going, remember that you must not break off any pins:

boot at 133mhz with jumpers on 2-4 and 1-3 (using the labels in the manual)

here are they like you see them on the motherboard:

2-1
4-3
6-5

set multi to the highest you cpu will do at 200mhz/233Mhz (in my case that's 18/15 respectively)

set memory speed to anything you want (i suggest auto)

set SPD to auto

Save and exit and turn the computer off

set only one jumper to 3-5

now you start the computer and there you go. 200mhz fsb

Mooseifert

I have not broken off any CPU pins or done the BSEL mod. You don't need to do any of that with Mooseifert's mod. I do have the 1.6V socket wire Vcore mod in place to get the Vcore to 1.56V and have done the solderless Pomona SMD Grabber VDIMM mod. So no soldering or pin breaking required! :D

Do you think all of us can achieve such high overclocks with the 2.4gig xeons if we break off that pin. Do you know how your xeons perform in seti.

Great to hear it can be done through jumpers :) Makes life easier when tweaking.

Audio, just so I get my hardware logic straight, you needed to flip-flop from 0-1 to 1-0? When I went to get to 133 it was a 0-0 to 0-1, so it was quite a simple flick of the pin out of the way (well, not so simple, but you know what I mean ;) ). Makes sense since 133 is 0-1 and has no reason to change from that...

elec999 said:
Do you think all of us can achieve such high overclocks with the 2.4gig xeons if we break off that pin. Do you know how your xeons perform in seti.
You don't have to break off any pins! You don't have to solder anything!! You don't need any wires or insulations for BSEL pins!!! Just remove one of the FSB jumpers and connect the second one between 3 and 5!!!! That's it!!!!! That's all you do for the PC-DL MooseMod!!!!!!

You do need a 2.4/533, anything faster is unlikely to boot at 200 MHz to let the BIOS setting be read. The best are M0 stepping, then D1, and last C1.

Back