• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Burn A Dvd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

How to Burn a DvD/Ps2

WARINING: The following guide is provided for archival purposes. ANY discussion of using the information contained within for illegal purposes will result in serious, formal repercussions. Anyone who engages or attempts to engage in discussion of any form of copyright infringement and/or theft can expect to be banned from the forums and possibly have copies of their illegal intentions/actions forwarded to the appropriate authorities. Moreover I will be irritated. Having said that let the tutorial commence. -eobard
How TO Burn A DVD
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dont Burn Faster then 4x!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The things you will need are:
1 DVD Burner (I personally use dvd+ format)
1 Blank DVDR (not a DVDRW)
DVD SHRINK
Nero
5.GB of hard drive space min

Ok all of you at one point in time have had a dvd that you wanted to copy. (ex. I had bought FULL METAL JACKET and it was scratched to death and I had already bought it so I wanted to just burn it, but you cant just pop a store bought dvd into your computer and rip it to your blank dvd. This is because store bought dvd's have two layers (not to mention the data on them is encrypted, and the blank DVD you just bought only has one layer). So to help you get around this you will need the help of DVD SHRINK, which will decrypt the data and compress it so that it will fit on your little 4.7GB blank DVD. You can do this with a DVDRW, but I don’t recommend it because not all players will play DVDRW but DVD+R is a common format and most players will read it fine.
*PS2 seems to read just about anything*
*DVD-R only works on Xbox*

Ok the first thing you will have to do is put your dvd you want to copy in the dvd drive, then open DVD shrink.
(You should have already downloaded and installed it).

There will be a button on the top left with a blue disk labeled "Open Disk" press it and it will decode the dvd.

Once the DVD is decoded look at the colored bar near the top. The first part will be green then after that there will be (most likely) there will be some red. The red means that that you over the size limit the more red the more your over the limit.
So to get rid of the red you have to Shrink the DVD by getting rid of all the things you wont use, uncheck the boxes as you go along the more checks you have the more info your keeping and the bigger the size of your dvd.

*Main Movie Folder*
if your only going to use English then get rid of all the extra audio files but you must leave one audio file.
Then if there are subtitles below the main audio I recommend leaving one subtitle language (I always keep the Eng. subtitles) this is because some movies for some reason need them and also in some movies there are scenes were another language is spoken and for that the movie jumps to the subtitles for that seen so leave one main subtitle, there are also sub pictures.

Now you will need to compress the dvd so that it will fit on the disk.
The best way i have found to do this is using the auto compresstion for the main movie folder.

*Menus/Extras*

Then there are the extras and menus etc. you can compress them also, I recommend just compressing them as much as you can so that you wont have to compress the main movie so much.
If you have to you can change it from compression to Stills, this will save ALOT of space and is menus are best set to still pictures (not image).
Menus should not be compressed to still pictures, if you want them still watchable just compress them to the max not using stills and if you dont want to watch them set them as an Image (this will basicly render them ussless and just put some logo in its place saving even MORE space, i saved 500mb on my extras by watching them once and then turning them to still image)

Ok so your dvd is all compressed and is under 4.7GB that's good (should be no red you should see a bit of silver on the top left of the bar) now we can back it up/Burn it.
Press Backup! (if you have nero or copytodvd*not free*) it will open the option menu to those programs.

Nero: Select your target (where u want the dvd info to go) it can go on your hard drive or onto a blank disk, if you only have 1 disk drive you have to put it on your hard drive first. select ISO and save it where you wish, when it is compleat the iso you can enter your blank disk and tell nero to burn DVD it will ask from what media select the iso and show it where you saved the iso.

If you are burning strait from disk drive to disk drive make sure you have your burner and your reader selected

*Both Methods! go to your Quality tab and make sure both options are checked*
"The default option is Sharp, which will tend to preserve the sharpness of the original video. This may be at the expense of fluidity or smoothness, where individual frames of the video are perceived to blend smoothly together. Video compression, like many other things, is all about compromise." -Nero Help

If you do not have Nero or copy to DVD,get nero =P
Just Press the backup butten as explained and back your shrinked DVD some where on your hard drive in a folder, then open your normal burning program and use it to burn the info by selecting on the folder or ISO
(cant remember if dvd shrink backs it up as an iso if you do not have nero or copytodvd, but it doesnt matter both ways work just fine)

thanx to SCT and Eobard

*EDIT*
i have now played my burnt dvd+ on about 6 dvd players and they all play fine.
*EDIT*
Xbox only plays dvd-r

Without a modchip or boot discs you can not played your backed up ps2 games(unless you have your origonal PS2 disk and wish open your ps2)
So think about that... Do you want to mod your PS2?
or are you willing to just spend the money for a pack of Boot dics?
Or is this all to much and you will stick with your good old store copies and just buy another if you must.

Boot Disks: Swap Magic
Mod Chips: 1.Matrix infinity 2. dms4pro chip (only ones to play DVD9's atm)

Where to buy this stuff:
http://www.mod-chip.com/index-cart-us.php?go=en/select_ps2_main.htm

Ok so you have picked out what method you want use, make sure you have your PS2,dvd burner, DVD reader,blank DVD's YOUR PS2 game, and time.
Please take your time when your burn, read everything!
How to back up your PS2 game Depending on method and choice of program.

#2 Create a PS2 ISO
(don't have exact steps) Just open up your nero and make sure it is on ISO read mode and shoot away, takes a copy of your ps2 game and puts it into a file on your computer using nero.

#3 Burn the ISO to a DvD
If you have a current copy of Nero:
1.Open Nero and select DVD. From there Click on open and search for the PS2 image.
Pic: http://filelabs.net/my.php?file=nero_screenshot_1yend.jpg

2.Once found, set the write speed as low as you can and then click on burn.
Pic: http://filelabs.net/my.php?file=nero_screenshot_2FLhf.jpg
Done.

If All else Fails There is a long complex way to back up your games.
This takes a few programs alot of time and a fair amount of reading =P.
But... 90% IT WORKS!
This is where I learned to make those games that just dont wana work work.
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/275350
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anything I have typed is not working or is just wrong plz let me know. =P

E MAIL ME! ASK ANYTHING!
[email protected]
I will be able to help you same day usally.

Last edited by a moderator:
A question just popped into my head, whats the difference between DVDR + and -. The guy at best buy said + is more compatable but when he said that my BS detector started going off (because he kept saying uhhhhhhh and it didn't quite seem like he totally understood what he was talking about. So I told myself I was gonna do researcho n it, but I never got around to it, so if anyone knows that would be great.

Last edited:
+/- is different in the way the files are written to the disc. + is supposedly better (faster) if you're going to be updating or changing the files on a disc.

Another way to archive:
AnyDVD & CloneDVD

TalRW, The guy was BSing you lol - actually DVD-R is *slightly* more compatible (because it's older). Actually most (dare I say, almost all) modern DVD drives can read both, and all (AFAIK) modern computer DVD drives can read both. Also, all (AFAIK) modern DVD burners can read and write both as well. (Except the ones that write DVD-RAM but thats another story...)

DVD-R is the original standard for the DVD technology, proposed by the DVD Forum. Sony and a bunch of other companies broke off to formulate DVD+R which is a better standard.

Thanks for the guide, syberspy, great article! (Y)

Daniel

Last edited:
I like DVDShrink for a number of reasons.

1) It's free! Nothing beats free. :)

2) Doesn't require a separate decrypter. No need for DVDDecrypter. Saves a step (and ultimately up to 40 minutes of ripping the DVD to the hard drive before stripping and shrinking can commence.) Newer DVD burners/drives restrict DVD rips to 2.0X speed, so it's a BEAR to dump a 7.4GB DVD to the hard drive.

3) It allows you to choose various compression for each of the DVD asssets. You can shrink the extras as much as you want (all the way down to "still pictures", which is a sort of slide show.)

4) Unknowingly teaches the user a little something about DVD structure.

I wish DVDShrink could do the following:

1) Preserve the menu structure if one wishes to "strip out" a DVD asset. What I mean - if there's a bunch of irritating previews that you don't want on the DVD, you can't remove them from the final burn without sacrificing the menu. It's either you shrink the previews to still pictures, or can the menu. This is my biggest qualm.

2) Burn to DVDR(W) immediately after compression. Not a biggie, but it'd be nice.

When I say "asset", I'm just talking about the movie, extras, THX spash screen, etc. A true DVD asset is pretty much any movie, picture, or sound that you can use.

Now with all that said, Elby's CloneDVD2 does exactly what DVDShrink doesn't do (preserve menu, rip extras, burn to DVDR or create ISO image), and it doesn't do exactly what DVDShrink does do (varying compression on different assets, requires a separate decrypter, isn't free!) So it depends on what you want.

If you want to go the free route, a very good combination of programs is DVDDecrypter, DVDShrink, and IfoEdit. DVDDecrypter in file mode to rip the files to the hard drive, IfoEdit to strip down the unneeded extras, and DVDShrink for it's compression.

IMHO, CloneDVD2 is a better program. Much more intuitive to use, very fast, able to keep the menu and rip out the extras, easier to split to 2 DVDR(W)s to preserve movie quality, and produces very good quality backups. But you get what you pay for, right? ;)

These are easy one-click solutions to creating DVD backups. There are many other routes one can go to produce cleaner looking backups, but require much more knowledge of DVD structure (and a fatter wallet for the programs necessary to do the job.)

well no prob guys i have had this done for about a week but eobard was wanting it off the forums (the hole legal mumbo jumbo) but he pulled through and i have to say thanx to donny_paycheck he helped me here

but sct is a big help with it got to go ppl

thanx donny wow my first sticky cool
well if any one thinks i need to add any thing plz pm me any time and plz try the dvd's on your dvd players so i can list witch dvd players do work

and about the dvdr+ or dvdr- it seams dvdr+ are compatible with more things and there evry were dvdr- arnt but i think a dvdr- would work on a ps2 so will some one plz try dvdr- (i only have a dvd+ drive)
thanx all

Ok, so what if I wanna back my dvd's up, or lets just say one of them, save I've got a 16X Drive, and a 8X Burner, how long do you think it would take to backup that disc ?

1x is about 1hr to burn a 4.7gb single layer disc.
2x is about 30mins
4x is about 15mins
8x is about 8mins

If you're using AnyDVD & CloneDVD tack on ~15mins (if you're using a fastish computer) for transcoding.

If you're ripping first then burning then add ~15mins for transcoding and another ~20mins for ripping.

well burning my dvd's from my 4x burner takes about 1hr for 1 dvd by the time i decript it compress it then burn it onto the disk so for ur first burn i say it will take 1hr but afetr that ull be down to like 30 or 40min

but as i have listed the best programs to use (simple also) are dvd shrink and copytodvd

(NEED MORE HELP PM ME ANY TIME)

yea, - is the older technology, it'll play in any DVD player, DVD-ROM drive, and DVD+/-RW. +R, +RW is a newer format that I think has more storage capability (future purposes). All I know is it's supposedly a better format like comparing FAT32 and NTFS.

So long as you have a newer DVD player and a DVD (ROM, RW) that is compatible with +, I suggest you stick with +R/RW. If you plan to distribute a disc to your friends/family (aka home movies), then I suggest -R b/c you don't really know what machine they have and -R is more compatible.

yes it is.

to many ppl out there think its like burning a cd.

and it took me a long time to learn how to burn a dvd, this is why i made this thread.

I thank SCT (local forums member) he helpd me so mutch.

we worked together and got it downpat.
good luck CheeseMan

I am trying to do it to fast and the furious to test it out and when i pushed open disc it got to 7% and said this

shrink.gif

CheeseMan said:
I am trying to do it to fast and the furious to test it out and when i pushed open disc it got to 7% and said this

shrink.gif
I bought Final Fantasy XI and when i try to install the 4th disc i get 'cyclic redundancy check'. The disc is factory, mint, whatever, no scratches/smudges/dirt. I got it to install on a different computer, but not my own, i don't understand it.

Back