• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX5700 Ultra complete modding guide!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i almost forgot! cooling the core of the fx 5700 doesnt seem to be mutch of a problem for it runs way cool so stock cooling should be ok for the core modd (unless you are doing the overcurrent pro tection modd too, then water cooling will be needed). however the ddr2 is a differant story this stuff is extreme heat!so i davise getting some nice BGA ram sinks and an aftermarket cooler for the core if you plan on doing the memory mod!

Last edited:
Hey wallow! First of all, nice guide! I thought this would be a good moment for me to join ocforums :)
I'm still waiting to get my new soldering iron, so i still haven't done the mods yet. I'm hoping to receive the thingy coming week and do the mods soon after.
You'll give us the results from the overcurrent protection mod, right? Can't wait.

Btw, my nick is written with a zero :p
And who did those nice drawings in the last image? :D

Nice article walldow, any updates on that overvoltage protection mod?

what kind of cooling are you using? (pics;) )

cant wait to get some water cooling on my 5700u and try out some volts mods!

great guide waldow. this will surely help alot of fx5700u owners

ok guys i have good news for you and bad news for me! good news is the overcurrent protection modd works! bad news is i think i might have fried my AGP slot? dont realy know yet. i had the card @2.0 :mad: volts erlier at 800mhz!(got trigger happy) yes thats 800mhz guys, all jokes aside!:D any way i was in the middle of a 3Dmark 2003 run @800/1200mhz and all sudden i kept hereing a poping sound (not loud but faintly) and the pc froze on me? i rebooted and run again same thing? thought my barton was locking on me cuse she runs hot at [email protected] volts!so i checked the temps 32C (one chilled ice water) no biggy!finly after bout 3 runs i ofthis i gave it up and said i'll try again later well i backed the card down backed the cpu down and was just kind of chillen tring to get the card back to normal. she was getting kind of p.o. at me i could tell she didnt like the voltage! all of a sudden the pc freezes on me at regular clock speeds? now i'm realy getting scared! all of a sudden i get blue screen stateing the 3d devise is stuck in an infanate loop? and windows was shut down....... you guys know the rest. well i rebooted and just sitting there pc idle, no apps running, i get blue screene again! so i say one more time i rebooted and soon as i get in to windows i got directly to 3d mark and run a stock bench. everything is fine runs the whole benchmark no problems as soon as the bench is over about 5 seconds with the pc idle it does it again! only does it when pc is idle! anyway i pulled the card and was looking it over nother burnt on the card it self everthing looked fine then i got to noticing on the cards AGP plug! were it pluggs into the AGP stot and the first portion of the plug on the card and on the AGP slot itself i see like smoke traces like it got realy hot!:eek: i thought well, let me clean them off real good, maybe they arent gettting good conection so i cleaned them of and took a cotton swab and cleened the AGP slot as well and pluged the card back in same thing!crashes on idle but runs like a champ in 3d apps with no prob? any way im going to take the card to my girlfriends in the morning and use her pc to see if its the card or not! i' ll finish up guide tomarrow giving specs on the resistors and some tweeking hints to for getting the clock speeds up!

Glad to see the mod works - and nice clockspeed :eek:

The burning on the AGP slot is most likely because VGPU is derived from 3.3V. There aren't that many pins devoted to 3.3V power and in fact the total power draw of a card in the AGP slot must be under 25W. I'm willing to bet that with all the high clockspeeds and heavy mods, that GPU was pulling way more than 25W total. A possible solution would be to solder a 3.3V line directly to the card.... :D

Wow, good job man! 800 Mhz, thats an 68% overclock :D
I'm just waiting to get my potmeters, so i can do the vgpu and vmem first. :)

@ L337 M33P: I just looked at the ISL6569ACR datasheet, and this is what it says on the first page:
Input Voltage: 12V or 5V Bias
Looks like the vgpu is drawn from the molex, but I could be wrong.

The PWM chip itself needs to be controlled from 5V or 12V but the MOSFETs that do the actual switching are probably powered from 3.3V.

Would there be a way to measure this? To know for sure, because you say probably. I'm sitting next to my 5700 Ultra right now with a multimeter in handrange. I'd be glad to help finding the problem, because I'm going to do the mod too :)

You can measure the input and output voltages on the electrolytic capacitors near the GPU PWM controller - there will usually be a few capacitors with either VGPU or the supply voltage on them - it will recognisable as one of the rail voltage instantly.

I can't see any leads poking through the PCB so they may all be surface mount. To measure them stick the probes on the exposed solder pads at the base.

up dated the guide with specs of resistors needed to do the overcurrent modd. i'mm taking the card now to girlfriends for further data gathering! i have took a mutimeter to all resistors in the core and agp plug area and from what i can tell they are OK none bunt in too or anything and the card seems to be ok. the blue screen that comes up states "the diplay driver is stuck in an infinate loop" im thinking that maybe i got some kind of coruption in the DIrect x run time or driver itself be running the core at that rate? i dont know? maybe the card is fried i'll find out in a little while. going to use her scanner to get some close ups of overcurrent protection mod for the guide. also some close ups of the agp plugg on the card. one of the leads is pretty rough looking but not burnt in too. ill post those aswell!

ok good news its not the card been running all day on the oldladys rig. so im going home in the morning going to try a reformat and clean install. hopfully i just got some curruption going on! if that dosnt work looks like ill be upgradeing to athlon 64 sooner than i thought! ooohhh thats sweet. i'll be breaking 6k with a 5700 ultra!:p anyway ive got the pics of resestors. i'll have to wait till get home in the morning to compress them and get them uploaded!

Keep us updated! what kind of cooling do you recomend for after this mod(just the first one, not overvoltage mod, in not that crazy yet)?

Im working on my water cooled system, what kinda block do you recomend, keep in mind that im cheap and more into water cooling for the silence.

Greatest guide! thnx

ok added pic of actual resistor modd to guide. and here is a pic of the AGP plugg on my card!

NOTE: this is due to my over volting the card and not the overcurrent protection modd!:D

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/users/hayes/files/burnt AGP.jpg

im reformating and reinstalling OS after this post when done ill post back and let you know how everything is!

as fare as cooling the fx 5700 runs cool and a good aftermarket cooler and some nice BGA ram sinks will do for the core and memory modd! but like anything else cooler is better. the cooler you keep it, the better overclock you are going to get! i'm using a swiftech MCW50 geforc/FX water block.
http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SMCW50&Category_Code=VCW

i have been running 700mhz core @1.65 24/7 for about 3 mounths now on strate water cooling and temps never get over 32C.

Last edited:
I hope the trouble with your card is over wallow, i certainly won't have any trouble with mine anymore, because i fried it yesterday :mad:

here's the story:
as you can read in some posts above, i tried to read the input voltage of the mosfets. i was searching for some capacitors, probed a few, none of them read 3.3 volt. then i saw another one, which was pretty close to some other parts. once i put the multimeter probe on it, i heared a sound that didn't make me very happy at all, 1 second after that i heared the monitor go to standby, and i pulled the power plug out of the psu as soon as i could. waited a few minutes, sweeping the sweat from my forehead...
after this, i tried to power up again of course, but the monitor would say no cable connected, and i hear a sound like a capacitor charging in a camera flashlight. doesn't sound good. bios reset didn't help. so i removed my watercooling and homemade memblocks, and put the original cooling back on. put it back in my pc, but the fan wouldn't even turn on...

so it's dead. RIP. not even killed by a volt mod, but just a stupid short circuit :(
but i think i'll get a new one asap, i still wanna to try the mods :)

ya after fighting the thing all day come to find out it was those darn star storm drivers. they kept booting me time after time i reformated 2 times didnt relise the drivers were doing it! anyway got it fingered!:D

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/users/hayes/files/800mhz.JPG
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2434827

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/users/hayes/files/stock clocks.JPG
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2434837

its no record breaker my cpu was thottled back and my FSB was also throttled back!just made 2 runs real quick just to let everyone see that the card is ok and show everyone the differance betweem 800/1200mhz and 475/900mhz.:cool:

Back