• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultraviolet Suspended Spherical Resevoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

After throwing ideas back and forth with CaptainSlg we finnally came up with this. It is all Polycarbonate, minus screws and the center dome. You all wondered why I had the post "seaching for balls". Well this is why. Much thanks goes to Captainslg for his designing and rendering of this case. I hope you all like it as much as I do.

ussr2.jpg ussr1.jpg

All I have to add:
bt_evil.gif

As seen in the pic, the water cycle in the case is

CPU -> GPU -> RAD - > Pump -> Res -> Pump

Last edited:
Wow, that looks really sweet.

What will the "USSR" be made of/constructed from? Where will the UV lights be placed? Probably somewhere on the bottom edge?

Now, all I gotta do is figure out how to make that fit into my CoolerMaster ATC-200 case! (<--- really tight fit, dunno how to get a W/C setup to fit in there)

R0CK3TM4NN said:
What will the "USSR" be made of/constructed from? Where will the UV lights be placed? Probably somewhere on the bottom edge?
The case will be made primarily out of clear 0.25" polycarbonate sheets. The support arms for the resevoir will however be made out of 0.50".

The only remaining parts made with acrylic are the support cubes and half-domes that make of the resevoir.
My design should prove to be an extremely durable and attractive assembly.

Lighting will be 2 6" UV cold cathodes on the ofrward support arms, and presumably 2 12" UV cold cathodes along the sides of the baseplate.

Not to mention the 3 Red UV 120mm fans, and red uv water dye.

Yes, very attractive indeed.

One idea for the case could be to cover the sides and the top with a 10-30%% reflective tint (the same kind of tinting kit you'd apply on your car). That way, the brightness of the "USSR" could be more emphasized. In other words, the reflective tint would stop some of the light coming into the case, so you'd see pretty much just the orb, surrounded with a "halo" of the nearby parts. Think of shining a flashlight behind a pair of reflective sunglasses. That would be sweet, IMO. Clear is cool, too!

Souds like a good idea. The case itself is in a beta stage right now. All the kinks are being worked out by CaptainSlg. If anyone has any sugestions please do post them.

You can't see it in the picture, but there is a tube that comes out of the top back of the globe and goes up to the top of the case. Very easy to fill and bleed from there.

Im a noob and all, but I just want to know if I understand this right.
The mobo is on the bottom, so any leaks and the mobo+ is fried, right?

Boomstick said:
Why would you install the motherboard before leak testing?

I believe you can find tinted polycarbonate (sp?) at mcmasters, if tinting is something you are considering. the idea is top notch; i can imagine how great it will look, now it is left for you to make it happen.

it's good to see the capt. back in action (;

mod on

Probably won't go with tinting since there will be a BUNCH of detail work in the case worth seeing. Also, the plastic will mostly be obtained through scrap to save a considerable sum of money, and therefore I can't be too picky about what I'm working with.
If it's available I will be picking up some dark smoky tinted sheets for the resevoir support arms. But it will again depend on what is available.

Last edited:
cack01 said:
How do you plan on making these?
The acrylic half domes will be blow-molded in the acrylics division of the plastics shop that I buy scrap from. Or I can order them from a different shop that specializes them. $6 acrylic domes should cost about $24 each. I'll be using polycarbonate adhesive and silicone sealant to attach them to the support frame.

The support cubes can normally be purchased from www.pcmods.com for $4 each. If I were to buy as many as I needed from them, I'd be spending $64 ($4 x 16). I can easily make the whole batch of 16 myself with a drill press and epoxy for only $20.

It's actually quite simple. Take 24 of these...
32011p.jpg

and cut the pan-head off the tapped binding posts. Then epoxy them into the holes I drilled into 16 of these...
86127p.jpg

Saves about $42 and includes free clear acrylic screws in the process.

At my last estimates this case would probably cost $500+ to make if a person were to buy preassembled whatever pieces they could find or were to pay full price for the require plastic sheets. Case-wise, the only things i'm not machining myself are the half-domes, simply because I don't have the right tools for tapping the holes for the barbs, nor do I have the equipment for blow-molding. The motherboard tray is the only part I will be scavenging from a standard case. This is because a plastic one would take considerable time and effort to do properly out of polycarbonate.

Last edited:
quote:
Originally posted by Boomstick

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Slug
Why would you install the motherboard before leak testing?

lol cut the guy some slack..

Last edited:
Back