• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding Xaser III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Well I finally modded my new Xaser III case. I cut all of the restricter grids from infront of and behind 5 fans.The rig is
about 50% quiter now.I will test temps later today.This procedure was done with a pair of right cut TIN SNIPS.:D
It's amazing, how much differance it really makes.So guys
get those restricter plates out and enjoy a quiter rig.:eek:
The only restricter I have left is on the back of the PSU. I
will hold off on that one,for warranties sake.Note: Now
my blowhole on top of the case actually works.It used to
push the air backwards when you turned up the fans speed.
THE FANMAN:cool:

:eek: Complete details of using AVIATION TIN SNIPS to cut fan grids and blow holes are on PAGE 4......
AVIATION TIN SNIPS EXAMPLE LINK :attn:

Last edited:
Thats exactly what I did last night on my Antec Performance ll 1040B Server case.
I've cut the rear exhaust fan grills off the back of the case using pinchers and the noise reduction is great, no more continuous 'whoosing' of moving air through the grills.
I'd actually forgotten about the front grills - good point. I'll attack them tonight.:D

Don't forget the top one if you have one.That was my noisiest
one.I will have to enlarge the holes in the blowhole plastic cover.
The case has a setup on top of the case for USB/ 1394 and mic/
headset jacks.It has a plastic cover that looks like a speaker grill.
The holes in the plastic cover are to small for un restricted air flow.
I left it off for now.THE FANMAN:cool:
PS: RIT buy me a digital camera and I'll get you some pics.:eek:

I sold my Xaser III V1000D, So I could buy a much lighter case... instead of modding this one. If anyone comes up with a mod that makes the case lighter lmk

hey archilochus, how and what exctly did you do to the blowhole? PM me if you want.

Now I have to figure out how to mod the side door.Only
answer to enlarge holes for more CFM.The side door effect
the CPU and vidoe card areas.To be continued!
THE FANMAN:cool:

yea those holes are too small to allow much airflow... tell me what you do to fix that

I've been thinking I'll cut the material out in a circle.In front of the side fans, on the side door.Maybe put the wire 80mm finger
gards on.The reason I'm being specific is because we have a front door also.The mod for now is with side door and front door
OPEN or OFF. Side door is put on for temp testing.Front door
wide open.:D To be continued: THE FANMAN:cool:

I just did the side and front fan grills.

frontfan2.jpg

sidepanel2.jpg

-Bobby

Yea removing the nasty grills makes a nice difference in preformance besides the noise but also more air.

i really want to cut that plastic window, but im very afraid of ruining it.

Yea cutting plasic can be uh really tricky. I've been thinking the same thing then again it can crack so easy. Thats one problem if you want to cut the window.

Bobby,Nice pics.You really have to do the two rear ones.It
really pulls that air out of the rear of case better.What type
tool did you cut with? As for cutting the plexiglass window.
I have an idea! I'll have to test it first.Sorry guys no digi-cam.
But I saved the old pieces I cut out. I'll find a digi-cam soon!
To be continued: THE FANMAN:cool:
PS: Bobby do you have a fan for the top blow hole??

I was looking at the rear and it's not that bad.

I used a Dremel and a fiberglass cutting wheel. The sparks were fun to watch the first 5 seconds :D.

I also cut off the plastic piece on the side fan holder.

sidefan12.jpg

I have a SmartFanII on the top. Most of the air blows back but it moves the air around and my psu has 2 fans so it stays cool in there.

-Bobby

Bobby looks like a good OC rig.Have you OCed it yet? If so
to what GHz? Did you put the plastic cover back on the top of the case?I will have to enlargen the holes in it first.Nice job.Clean! THE FANMAN:cool:

It's running at 3.1ghz right now. For whatever reason, 5:4 doesn't work well with my memory (corsair was worse). I can do 244 fsb at 1:1 with this memory though.

What plastic cover are you talking about?

I haven't gone further with the fan holes in the case. Right now, if I take the side panel off, I don't see any drop in temps (mb or cpu). My video card gets hotter when I take the side panel off. This case has great airflow.

-Bobby

Nice very nice.The cover I'm referring to goes on top of my case.
It is the plastic cover that looks like a speaker grill.It has the
USB/ 1394/ Mic and head set jacks.What exactly is your case?
You might add the case and OC speed to sig.Sounds like you got the flow to go!:D To be continued. THE FANMAN:cool:
LIKE this one in the pics.Third box on left.:eek:CASE LINK

Last edited:
Ok. I have the same thing. Enermax CS-10181B

My o/c speed has been fluctuating for the past few months testing new memory and bios versions so I didn't bother putting it in my sig. I thought about adding the case to it though.

-Bobby

Back