• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I get WINAMP for Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most people are content with xmms really, which is sooooo similar to winamp... Anyway, there should be a link to a beta version on winamp's page, I think..

hmmm... WINamp think about it. and yea, xmms is like the exact same thing and is probably alredy installed on your distro

I found that XMMS is far superior to Winamp in every way possible. I did not know that Winamp had released a *Nix version yet.

There pretty much isn't any reason to need Winamp in linux... but if you really want it, I think it's possible to run in WINE...

I actually remember seeing winamp 0.1 beta for linux or something... and heard that winamp 5 has a version for linux.. but not sure, and don't really care to investigate - love Musik and Rhythmbox (when Musik fails to compile) too much to change :D

has anyone created an iTunes clone for linux yet?
it'd be nice to buy my music on my linux box as well as my powerbook ;)

and btw, XMMS > Winamp

There was a Winamp 3 alpha release for Linux. I tried it, it was very unstable (crashed frequently), but when it did work it, it was just like the Windows version. I wouldn't bother with it.

For music players, I like Rhythmbox. It is similar to iTunes. And for video, Totem is nice.

Though Winamp 5 is currently my favorite media player. I think its safe to say there is no Winamp 5 for Linux, and probably never will be. There's no OS X version either, and no plans to create one. Hopefully someone will clone all the features in one of the free Linux players (if it hasn't been done already). It would not be too hard to clone the features I like. Is there a media library plug-in for XMMS? Tossing a media library on XMMS might bring it up to par with Winamp 5, if it worked as nicely as Winamp 5's does.

I love xmms, i thought it was the linux version of winamp. Wheres a good place for effects plugins for xmms?

Winamp 5.01 rocks. I like it better than XMMS. XMMS isn't a bad player but just not as feature rich.

Operating systems:
Linux Winamp
Added: 10/10/2001
Downloads: 48210
Updated: 10/10/2001
Downloads since last update: 48210
not reviewed yet

Bah! I wouldn't waste my time. XMMS is newer and better.

Back